iPhone 3GS 7.2Mbps HSDPA actually makes a difference

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MGLXP, Jun 20, 2009.

1. MGLXP macrumors regular

I was testing out the internet speeds of the new iPhone 3GS on the Fido 3G network (Canada), and the speeds are almost double from what I was getting with the previous iPhone. It seems if you're on a 7.2Mbps HSDPA network, you'll see quite improved speeds. Here's the speed that I got with the iPhone 3GS.

Attached Files:

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
  3. MGLXP thread starter macrumors regular

Definitely, much faster...but that's probably more due to the faster CPU in the iPhone 3GS.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That ping is unusually low for a Cellular Network connection.

5. MGLXP thread starter macrumors regular

I also noticed that too. The ping is much higher on my iPhone 3G.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I love the 3G speed though.
    Network connection aside, How's your screen warm/cool color?

7. MGLXP thread starter macrumors regular

Sadly, I'm going to try to exchange this iPhone 3GS. The screen is much duller/dimmer/more yellow than the one on my iPhone 3G. It's really annoying for me since that's the thing I look at everyday.

8. hojoon0724 macrumors regular

9. MGLXP thread starter macrumors regular

Other than the screen though, this iPhone is so much more pleasurable to use compared to the iPhone 3G. The increase in the speed of the phone in loading apps, in the graphical transitions, etc. is very noticeable over the older model.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

11. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

I'm curious how you did your speed test, because it looks like that attached pic was taken from your computer not your iphone.

12. aristotle macrumors 68000

aristotle

I would not rely on that testing app. The Speedtest.net app is considered to be far more accurate as they have a much larger network of test servers and the infrastructure to support heavy testing volumes. The DSL reports app gives me results all over the map.

Speedtest is also considered to be the main benchmark for desktop/laptop speed tests on wired or wireless connections.

13. MGLXP thread starter macrumors regular

As probably most Canadians will tell you, Fido/Rogers are not exactly the most customer friendly wireless carrier (i.e. we have to sign 3 year contracts (with the iPhone), our early termination fee is $400, etc.), but I must say that their wireless network (at least where I'm at) is better than what I expected.

14. MGLXP thread starter macrumors regular

I tethered the iPhone 3GS to my computer (which worked without hacks).

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Lol, I usually tether my 1st Gen using iPhoneModem. It gives me pretty much the same speeds as my iPhone has albeit on my Mac everything loads faster because of system resources. So slow 1st Gens on EDGE could do better theoretically if the CPU is upped to say, 500MHz?

16. hojoon0724 macrumors regular

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=26835

AT&T does not have 7.2 mbps HSPA

I just don't understand why a phone developed in US cannot find a carrier that will support all the features that other carriers in other countries have already

Tethering not supported, MMS not supported (at least for now), and 7.2mbps not supported. It's just ridiculous.

"The fastest 3G network" (that's what they advertise themselves) in the country is the slowest 3G in the world

Customer service has always been great from AT&T at least for me. But I think in terms of what they should have they're not up to par compared with the rest of the developed world.

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Apple said the iPhone, not the iPhone will support up to 7.2Mb/s 3G, they never said AT&T supports said speeds. Also, read around, AT&T is deploying those speeds right now.

MMS and Tethering work, it's just AT&T knows that enabling it right now will make their network fall on its knees just to make people happy temporarily and angry later. So to prevent that they are doing a backhaul upgrade. In English, they a preparing for maximum effectiveness of the network so when those 2 features are launched you can enjoy uninterrupted and great service.

18. MGLXP thread starter macrumors regular

I did the test again, and now it's even more crazy. It really shows the potential of 7.2Mbps HSDPA when you guys in the US get it. Here are the results.

Attached Files:

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Mmmm me likey

20. hojoon0724 macrumors regular

EXACTLY
    AT&T should support 7.2mbps if they weren't a bunch of incompetents
    It's not like they didn't expect things like this wasn't going to happen
    7.2 HSPA has been around Europe and Asia before iPhone 3GS came out

It's understandable that US is far bigger in land. But at least major cities should have them already

21. Mengels7 macrumors regular

AT&T is the fastest 3G network in the US. Yeah they're to blame for not being up to par with Europe (Let's not even talk about Japan), but it's not like Verizon or Sprint or T-Mobile has anything better to offer.

22. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Should already have been done. Years ago. American Ma Bell in all it's glory. Why did we let CLEC's come into play again?

23. hojoon0724 macrumors regular

you just made me less depressed:eek:

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Shall I make you remember Mac Bell was dismantled by the same government it served? Hence, it doesn't have the same strength it did not so long ago.

They should, but the reality is another. It's not cheap nor easy to swap out old 5+ year old equipment and putting in new one without affecting service for the area. AT&T expected this to happen, but not this fast due to the iPhone.

25. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

OK go on believing what they feed you. Ma Bell is alive and well and as rich and powerful (and crappy) as ever in the good ol' US of A.