iPhone 3GS AT&T store preorder?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PaulieORF, Jun 8, 2009.

1. PaulieORF macrumors regular

Does anyone know if local AT&T stores will be doing preorders for the 3GS? I know I can just call and ask my local store, but I really don't feel like risking getting into an argument with an employee who says "there is no new iPhone and so the answer is no".

Thanks.

2. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

3. PaulieORF thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the link. With that as my ammo, I called my local AT&T store and asked them if they were doing preorders for the 3GS. The guy said they just got an email saying they were supposed to start doing the preorders at 5pm, but that their training on the process isn't scheduled until 7pm tonight. I'll call later or tomorrow AM.

4. Berek macrumors member

Berek

that link just goes to the site map right now.

5. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Wow. In my excitement/stupidity, I forgot to read an important part of the release:
    I pulled out my press release and said, well it says right here......**crickets**...oh.:confused: Big Gulps, Alright... Well, see you later.

So I was laughed out of the store.

6. PaulieORF thread starter macrumors regular

Still working for me.

7. PaulieORF thread starter macrumors regular

What about he part that says
    It then says
    I believe the part they "laughed you out of the store" about is poorly worded, but means that people who have preordered will have to wait in line with people who did not preorder. It makes no sense whatsoever to offer a preorder if it does not guarantee you an iPhone on release day, so I'm pretty sure preordering does just that.

EDIT: So yeah, AT&T stores will be open from 7am to 9am on the 19th to hand out the preordered iPhones only. No waiting in line funny business, woohoo.

8. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I just called another AT&T store nearby, and the worker said "they are in the dark and just found out about the price drop". This was at an "official" AT&T store, not an authorized retailer.

I guess AT&T keeps info from their workers until the final hour. Their manager was not even aware of the press release.

So much for getting one pre-ordered in CO.

9. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

i just went into my local att store and they had no clue about the pre-order. im gonna be pissed if i dont get my iphone 3gs on opening day because they had no clue what they were talking about. he said he'd call me if he found anything out though

10. AsianChexMix macrumors regular

I heard most people just found out about the idea of a new iPhone today....so yeah, pretty much in the dark. One person knew what was going on which was great.

11. Versus macrumors member

I just came from my ATT store. I was able to preorder the 3GS with no problem whatsoever. They told me it would be there on 6-19 at 7am.

12. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

what did you say to have them pre order it?

13. SAG3194 macrumors 6502

SAG3194

can i just wait inline at 3AM like i did last year without pre-ordering online?

14. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

yeah but you may not get an iphone, pre orders get priorty, you can go in and pre order today, or so they say, i wasnt able to but im going to try again!

15. SAG3194 macrumors 6502

SAG3194

So how do I pre-order?

16. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

Step 1. Go to ATT store
    Step 2. Find someone who works there and tell them you want to preorder
    Step 3. ???
    Step 4. Profit

17. PaulieORF thread starter macrumors regular

I went to my local AT&T store and preordered mine for $399. I'm all set, no lines next Friday!

18. Berek macrumors member

Berek

My area is full of idiots. They know nothing about it.

19. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Did you pay for it in full or deposit?

20. mikejfrd macrumors regular

I just pre-ordered from an ATT store as well without an issue. They swiped my CC for 199.99 + tax but the receipt says that it will not charge it until the phone is shipped.

21. smrf macrumors newbie

Preorder on att website

AT&T finally put up a website for preorders:

http://www.wireless.att.com/iphone/

Since I was having a hard time finding this info I'll include it here in case it helps anyone:
    - I am a new customer to AT&T and I'm transferring my existing number.
    - You can enter the number you want to transfer. The online form asks for verification of the phone number (current account number, address as it appears on your statement)
    - A customer service chat option popped up during the ordering process. The customer service rep confirmed my new number will be transferred after I receive my phone. I will have to go through a setup process and only then does my account get canceled with my current carrier.

I hope that helps. I know I saw a few posts wondering when you would get canceled with your current carrier.

22. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

For those of you not aware the fine print on the att press release says if you preorder online, get it shipped to them. People whom preorder in the store get to pick them up at the store.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=26853

I went to my store, and waited for 30 minutes, and talked to the guy, and he didnt look at me like I was crasy, He knew I could preorder, so I did.

People whom preorder get the phone one hour earlier than non-preorder folks.

"Stores will open early at 7 a.m. on June 19 exclusively for customers who have preordered."

Some things my att rep told me that I hope are not ture,

- Each preorder phone is shipped individually with your name on the box

-Your box has the potential to not make it here ontime for the release, you cant wait in line, you can only get and use the phone that is in your box. I seriously hope this is not ture, and that all preoder phones come in one big crate and is good to go.

I still plan to get their early, because I am still unclear on if I am guarentted my phone or if I have to wait inline to makesure I get one.

23. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Attached is my pre order receipt i got today.

Attached Files:

24. saDeRmac macrumors regular

It is called Direct Fulfillment. If you pre-ordered the iPhone 3GS in the store starting yesterday, you will be shipped an iPhone to that store in a box that has your name on it. This is excatly like the Direct Fulfillment of the Original iPhone 3G. After we ran out of iPhones the first weekend we ordered them for you directly to the store until the stock in the distribution centers was replenished.

All pre-orders will be sent to the stores with a tracking number from FedEx. You can check your order status online with your receipt.

You are guaranteed a phone because you ordered it. Once it ships they charge your card.

I have been an AT&T Rep for over a year now an have gone through the iPhone 3G launch. If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to PM me.

25. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

went to the store worked fine!

all pre orderd and ready to go.