iPhone 3GS Fell/ Cracked corner

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LLL1424, Jul 6, 2009.

1. LLL1424 Contributor

LLL1424

so something horrible happened this july 4th weekend. my phone fell and the corner of the screen cracked on the bottom right and upper top corner. they are small cracks but im terribly bothered cuz ive had this phone for 5 days. can i return it under the 14 day return policy? or am i SOL? please help.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Did you purchase it using an Amex card or other similar card? Most non-business Amex cards cover accidental damage for up to 90 days.

3. LLL1424 thread starter Contributor

LLL1424

cash. payed the 500 dollars. please dont tell me the 14 day return policy wont help me.

4. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It won't. Apple won't replace any of their products for user-caused damage. If you want to get a new 3GS, you would have to pay the $700 unsubsidized price since ATT paid for $200 of that for early upgraders. You could sell it on eBay for $300-$500, maybe more, if you unlock it. I would probably do that if I cracked the screen, that would bother me. Maybe you can get the screen replaced for $100-$200 at a Genius Bar, I'm not sure about that, though.

5. Pixellated macrumors 65816

They replace the glass for $199 at the genius bar.

6. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

Search online for "iphone screen replacement". If your LCD is good, all you need to do is buy a new glass screen and install it yourself. I've seen the glass sold online for as low as $40.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You're SOL.

8. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Hypothetically: You buy a TV from Best Buy and 5 days after getting it home your dog knocks it down and breaks part of it. Would you be able to return that? Its a bummer, but no.

9. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

This is probably your cheapest bet...go to the genius bar if you want Apple to cover the repair work though. (ie if you get them to replace the screen for $199 then they will back that up so you can take it back if you have issues...might not have the same luck with a user replaced screen)

Sucks I know...but this is the incident that will (hopefully) teach you to care for your iPhone like it was a Baby.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

Seriously? Can you return something you broke for a new one?

I would really love to know the thought process that goes on with posters like yourself who would even think you might have a chance. Could you please enlighten me? Sincerely. Why do you think this would be possible or justified?

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ But he has 14 days to return it! :D
    Really, the 14 day window is not a trial period to see if you can handle the phone without breaking it. You're SOL to the point where your $500 phone is about to cost you $700 ($199 screen replacement with a voided warranty to boot).

12. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Yet another example of another apple customer who wants to get a free replacement even though they were the ones who broke/dropped their own iphone.

You're SOL. Either pay the $199 to get the screen replaced at the genius bar, buy the glass urself and install it (which is risky if you have no idea what you're doing) or just sell the iphone and get a new one.

13. nezff macrumors regular

you can get a warranty from square trade on iPhones. The warranty does kick in until after the first 30 days. The will repair the phone under warranty for a 50 dollar deductible.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

He is technically a Best Buy customer.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

He is technically something else. But I don't name call.

16. LLL1424 thread starter Contributor

LLL1424

woah woah woah?? it was a simple question. i do treat the iphone like a baby. i dont need nasty attitudes but more of a solution to my problem that can very well happen to you as well. im just mad that i took so much care of my phone just to have it be cracked. theres no need to be rude though....geeze.

17. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Yep you are out of luck. no way they will nor should replace for something that was your fault. Best bet is to just replace the screen and get some protection this time.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

and I am asking - sincerely - what makes you think you can return a broken phone that you broke? What thought process is going on?

19. LLL1424 thread starter Contributor

LLL1424

thanks a lot for those who replied with nice solutions. i know the question was somewhat lame but its just crappy how it had to happen to me. o well.

20. LLL1424 thread starter Contributor

LLL1424

Let's see. It fell with a case on on the rug.......3 feet from my bed. thats why im wondering why it broke so easily. i want to know if ill be able to do something..if anything at all.

21. samcraig macrumors P6

Sigh

As another poster commented. If the same thing happened to your TV, would you think you could return it?

If you crashed your car 2 weeks after you bought it would you think you could return it for a new one?

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Now it was in a case on a rug next to a bed being treated like a baby ...

OP look, you broke your phone, accidents happen and this one will cost you $200 to fix as it is not covered by any 14 day return policy.

Did you buy a warranty through Best Buy that covers accidents? Do you have homeowner's insurance with a deductible lower than $200? If so, I would try that route.

No one is being totally rude (kind of rude but not as rude as I've seen) it's just interesting that you would break something and figure it could be covered under a 14 day return policy commonly reserved for defective (not user abused) merchandise.

23. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Broke so easily? Why is it "broke"? People complain about their "small cracks" on here all the time. IT'S JUST A PHONE. Get over it. You dropped it and you're not "entitled" to a new pretty phone. Consider yourself lucky that the phone works, which I assume it does, since you're only complaining about your "small cracks."

24. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

People like this should have never bought an iphone in the first place.

25. whitebook macrumors regular

The SCREEN is cracked not the body of the phone. I'd say that would affect the usability of the phone a tad, dont you think?!