iPhone 3GS vs Blackberry Bold 9700

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by prodigee, Oct 21, 2009.

1. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Ok so, I am due for an upgrade this month, and I currently have a Blackberry Bold 9000, and I really love it, I really do, but the web browsing is just well, not great, to say the least, but I really love the physical keyboard and BBM. The dilemma I am facing is that the Bold 9700 or Onyx, costs the same as the 32GB iPhone. The iPhone appeals to me because of all the apps, and the web browsing experience, but I really hate the touchscreen keyboard. I just dont know what to do.

I am 16, and I do 3-4 thousand texts a month so yeah texting and BBM is a big one to me. I also really like some of the apps in the App Store and Safari is great.

God I just wish AT&T had some Android phones thens there would be no contest, but there isn't so...

2. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

iPhone. You won't regret it. It offers much more than Blackberry. Apps are the key to a useful tool - the iPhone. You can do as many things as you can on your iPhone as Blackberry. At 16, a Blackberry is kind of weird to own unless you text a lot.

3. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Get the iphone if the apps and safari are most important to you. Get the blackberry if texting and email (prob. not so much email since your only 16) are most important to you. It's as simple as that.

4. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I went from a Bold to the iPhone back in June and, for the longest time before I made the switch, my hangup was the lack of a physical keyboard on the iPhone. I convinced myself that there was no way I'd ever be able to type as fast on a touchscreen keyboard, and that was true.....for all of about 2 days. Now, I'd estimate I'm probably at least 50% faster on the iPhone and much more accurate as well. Honestly, I'd give it a try if I were you...you've always got 30 days to return it if you absolutely can't stand it (but I don't think you'll want to :) ).

5. army91c macrumors 6502a

If you hate the idea of no physical keyboard I think you answered your own question.

6. prodigee thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think, I will get the iPhone, and if I can't stand it, then I will get the Bold.

At this point I know how much I love my Bold, and if I just can't get used to the iPhone, I will return it and get the Bold. The thing that is bothering me is if I will be able to bang out texts like I can now, cause I can touch type on it now (extremely useful in class) and email is actually important to me because of this (http://www.mypcomputer.com), and I am a senior in HS (I have a really late b-day), and I have a lot of emails coming from counselors, friends at college, and other random emails. Also the 3-4 thousand text a month, and the ton of BBM'ing.

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

If BBM is that important to you, there should really be no question unless the people you communicate with on it are willing to communicate with you via text. As far as the switch, I used a Pearl before I got my first iPhone and actually tried using a Bold for a couple days but it really cannot compare with the ease of use and integration of iPod, Checkbook, Todo List (w/ push), and internet radio; not to mention all the cool tweaks and mods you can do once you jailbreak it.

8. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Honestly, it sounds like the Bold is a better phone for you. Blackberry's are the best phones out there for messaging in general and that seems to be your main requirement. I've had the iPhone for 4 months now and I still haven't been able to type like I used to on a decent qwerty. I'm pretty good at it, but I still make more mistakes then I ever did. Maybe cuz my thumbs are pretty big? I think you will need email even more once you get to college, making it even more important. Also, the blackberry is more durable then an iPhone, which is good for the college environment.

9. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Get the iPhone. Heres why. If you decide to keep it and still wonder down the road..'wonder how this stacks up to a BB"? you can always go on Ebay and get a fairly decent used or new BB for a couple hundred beans or so.

Then if you like the BB better you can resell the iPhone for a ton of money on Ebay to pay for your BB. Your call.

10. prodigee thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know that I can sell the iPhone on ebay for like 600, but that means that I would have to buy the blackberry at retail, which really means I make no money.. Is there any truth to the fact that AT&T has a 30 day return period? If that is the case, then I can try the iPhone and if I can't do it, I will get the Bold 2.

11. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

AFAIK, AT&T still has the 30-day return policy. They did last month, anyway, when I was inquiring about possibly getting my mom a 3G for her birthday (as I didn't know how coverage would be for her at home).

12. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

3 to 4 thousand texts a month and you love the physical keyboard. Then, stay with BB and get iPod Touch.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

if you return int in 30 days you still have to eat like a $30 restocking fee.

based on everything you said my vote is go with the Blackberry.

you know here you will get very bais answer because it is an apple forum loaded with fanboys who will say apple no matter what.

That being said if you are going to go with the bais here you might as well get the other side. Go to www.crackberry.com and go to there forums and post the same question. At least then you would get valid arguments for using the blackberry.

Here you get mostly valid arguments for using the iPhone.

14. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

This would be my suggestion. Only because of the large volume of texts that you make. The iPhone's keyboard actually works wonderfully for texting but not if you have to do it on the down-low. You need to be able to see what you are doing to be fast. Not so with a physical keyboard.

iPhone works terrifically well for all your other needs though. If it weren't for the texting it would be perfect for you.

15. prodigee thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have asked over at crackberry, and I did ask at [H]ard just because, so far the overall consensus is to get the blackberry and use opera mini browser for internet.

16. tandersn9 macrumors member

You shouldn't totally discount the iphones keyboards to quickly. I too came to the iphone after using multiple blackberries and now I find that I can type even faster on my iphone than i could on my curve.

17. aristobrat macrumors G5

Opera mini should run on your current BlackBerry, so you can try it out and see if you like it before you upgrade phones.

Why don't you keep your BB for another month or two and see what shakes out with Android and AT&T? They're eventually going to have one.

18. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

At your age you need an iPhone. My son is 13 I got him an iPhone and he loves it. All the social netorking sites have fantastic iPhone apps not to mention the ease of use. You need to remember the iPhone is more than a phone. Talk to classmates etc that have an iPhone see what they think.

19. prodigee thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have done that, and I do have a Blackberry right now, and I really have found the messaging environment so much better and I can do AIM, Skype, and BBM. The more I think about it the more I think I am going to go with the Blackberry. I mean I do run this (http://www.mypcomputer.com) and I do so much email, and messaging on the physical keyboard is so much nicer, and I can touch type.

20. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone, and I am considering getting the Onyx.

Dont get me wrong, the iPhone is great. But Im pretty much over it. :eek:

21. rmead001 macrumors member

I'm in the same boat as you. The iPhone is great. Never had 1 problem and it does more then I could ever need it to. But what I miss is having a physical keyboard, a mass storage device, and more options.

I plan on keeping my iphone though because it is great and still plan on using it for certain occasions.

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Personally I never really like the Opera Mini browser and am much more of a fan of the Bolt browser.

23. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

I used opera mini for a while, and honestly I didn't think it was terribly different from the built in browser. One big limitation is that no matter what, you're still going to be using that scroll ball/pad to navigate around, and that's just not ideal.

If texting secretly (which is bad! Pay attention in school! But I digress) and bbm are important to you then I don't see how the iPhone is even an option, and I say that as someone who has both a bb and an iPhone and pretty much hates the bb.

24. Evolutioncsr macrumors newbie

I own a iPhone 3GS 32GB, and the current Blackberry Bold 9000(one for business line one for personal/fun). IMHO 3-4k texts a month I would get the BlackBerry. iPhone is great but IMO the typing is no where near as fast and efficient as the BlackBerry. You also want a good browser it seems and BB browser sucks lol, it seems you are going to compromise a little either way you go.

25. OriginalFormula macrumors regular

Go with the 9700. You'll miss the keyboard if you don't. And if you use the Bolt Browser over the native browser, it'll be that much better.