iPhone 3GS without a data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sou1 so1di3r, Jul 3, 2011.

1. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

So I hooked my mom up with my old 3GS and noticed that she isn't receiving any cellular data even though the option is on.

Apparently she had AT&T block the data on her line previously because she had an older blackberry. I was under the impression that even if this were the case, they automatically added one on when an iPhone was activated. So is this just a fluke right now and it will be caught soon or could it stay like this forever?

2. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

U may want to call them up and ask them about that.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Your mom is on one of AT&T's older policies when data plans were not required on smartphones. Instead, "data opt out" was considered a data plan and that is what your mom has right now. More than likely, it will stay like that forever until she signs a new contract.

4. magicpinkdrink macrumors member

magicpinkdrink

I think if she had data blocked before the cutoff data where they started force-feeding data plans, and she hasn't signed a new contract since, she may be loop-holed out of having to have one. So if she doesn't want to be forced into it she doesn't have to, but if she wants it then calling them to add it on is her best shot.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

This is correct. Also, When you add a data plan and remove the data opt out plan, you can't go back to it.

6. forcetactic macrumors 6502

At&t will force all iPhones except the original to have data plan so it will only be a matter of time before she's caught

7. awadeee, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011

awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

You might get forced into a tiered plan, you might not; if she keeps the data block. It's hard to say if the "data opt out" thing is similar to a data block now. If she wants data, just call up AT&T and get a plan added! :)

I think that she's grandfathered (grandmothered? :D) into the older policy. I believe the "data opt out" policy is not the same thing as putting a "data block" on the account but I could be wrong.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    It doesn't matter what you opted out before.
    When the system detects it she will get a text that an iPhone data plan has been added to her account.
    Just wait and see.

Edit.
    Awadee you're off on this bro, stick to Canadian carriers details that you're probably more familiar with.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Awadee is correct.
    Your plan won't change if you 1) you bought a smartphone without a data plan from AT&T and 2) you moved the SIM from your old smartphone without a data plan to the iPhone.

If you buy a new iPhone from AT&T, you'll be forced to add internet.

10. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

My Verizon contract was prior to Nov 08 and allowed me to NOT have data, regardless of the phone (Verizon then had 2 phones that didn't require data for contracts after then, but before some other date I don't know).

If i had bought my iPhone last week for full price i was told I could have kept that option, and not had data on my iPhone.

I wuld assume the OP's mom has a contract of similar date of mine, and she may very well be able to keep the block. I'd certainly fight for it if she wanted it that way.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Well, I'm not sure about Verizon but I can certainly vouch for this on AT&T.

12. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

The things I say about AT&T are not from experience because I do not and have never lived in the United States, but instead I speak of what I read on the internet and these forums. I sincerely believe that the exemption that was made for the OP's mother is different than having a simple data block put on the account, but as I stated earlier, I could be wrong. Canadian carriers I have much experience with and know much about, but the American carriers I could be a little fuzzy on.

With this being said, I am not quite as clueless as Applejuiced painted me to be. ;)

13. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

They have always matched each other pretty close with this data and requirement crap. I was active in the Treo forums so always caught the fringes of what other carriers were doing.

It is completely plausible to me for this to work, based on my own experience.

Which isn't to say that the OP can talk to anyone at ATT and get it validated either, because someone might actually have to read :eek: but i know I had a flag set on mine and the young kid, that in no way had been working for Verizon at that time, knew it was a valid contract for no data.

I figured I'd throw my Verizon crap in just to give the skeptics something to ponder. Not that it would help, but hey, it's better than doing laundry right? :D

14. forcetactic macrumors 6502

That's incorrect sir. iPhone 3g and up will get caught eventually (could be a day to a year later) since At&t does random IMEI sweeps and will add a data plan without your permission.

I'm speaking from personal experience here

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If you bought a smartphone a long time ago without a data plan from AT&T, thus signing a contract, AT&T put a waiver on your data plan for smartphones. Now, if you take the SIM out of said phone and put it into an iPhone, nothing changes on your account.

1) You probably bought your iPhone from AT&T and signed a data plan at the time of purchase.
    2) You do not have one of the older AT&T account and must have joined AT&T maybe 2008 or something.

Agreed.

It's nice to know how Verizon had this a while ago too.

I don't AT&T would tell you that this will work. The reps are pretty clueless as it is, and they just repeat what they are told .. that all smartphones require a data plan.

16. forcetactic macrumors 6502

1) I've never ever paid a data plan fee to At&t or signed an iPhone contract
    2) I've had my At&t account since 2006

The smartphone waiver came into effect 2009 after all smartphones were forced to have data iirc and that does not apply to iPhones.

iPhones have their own special terms where if you insert your sim into an iPhone, you agree that At&t has the right to add a data plan. No exceptions. It's just a matter of when you are caught

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You must have had a dumb phone before your iPhone or didn't have data blocked (compared to not signing up for a data plan) or both. Honestly, I don't know what to tell you other than you are only partially correct.

18. Applejuiced, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's false.
    I had that happen to me on AT&T.
    iPhone data is mandatory no matter what you had on your account before. If they didn't detect it yet they will.
    To the op try it and hope you get away with it for a while.

I'm done explaining.
    You got one person from Canada and another from Australia thinking they know how US carriers work or do business here. If you have no personal experience try not to assume. Not all carriers work the same worldwide.

Bro I know you're not clueless. The opposite you know your iPhone stuff and jb etc very well.
    I meant if you never used AT&T and you're in another country don't assume it's the same as Canada or it is how you heard.
    I had people in my family plan and many friends get hit with the mandatory iPhone data by AT&T.
    They tried all kinds of tricks and supposed workarounds and within weeks they get a text message saying the iPhone data plan has been added.

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Ugh ... has no one ever seen Finding Nemo?!?!?
    I'm in the United States.

It doesn't work the way you are suggesting.
    Unless you 1) previously bought a smartphone from AT&T without a data plan at the time of signing your contract and moved over the SIM from said phone into the iPhone, they shouldn't have done anything to your plan. If you bought your iPhone from AT&T/Apple, then the system will automatically detect and change your plan.

Here is one of the lines on my account that doesn't have internet
    [​IMG]

as you can see, AT&T clearly can tell that the iPhone is activated under the line.

I would recommend just going with a data plan since it makes the phone much more functional, but know that it is possible. The screen cap I posted is from a line on my account that hasn't been upgraded in like ... 3 years. I'm guessing the OP's mothers plan page looks exactly like this.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D sorry bro, I thought you really were in Sydney AU.
    Anyway, the only advice I have for the OP is give it a shot;)
    Worst thing that can happen is AT&T will add a data plan that's all.

21. thanachai macrumors member

I've been using a PAYG sim on my 3GS on Rogers' network for two years now.

22. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Lol that's really my fault. i've gotten that a few times :D

:confused:

23. sou1 so1di3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

Woah, a bunch of replies.

Anyway, yeah. My moms contract is probably 3 or 4 years old. She had a dumbphone forever and then recently started using my sisters older blackberry sometime last year after she upgraded to an ip4. My mom told me that att Added a data plan automatically when she started using the BB but she was able to convince them to put a block on the acct.

So yeah I guess we will just wait and see what happens. She doesn't really care enough to want it and added right now.

I activated the iPhone yesterday so we will just wait and see what happens.

24. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If your mum doesn't care about having a data plan, then you should be fine. Worst case scenario is AT&T will just add one. I wouldn't consider that bad though since it gives the phone much more functionality. It drives me crazy when I put my personal phone on "disable cellular data" since a lot of apps wont instantly connect like FB/weather, visual voicemail doesnt work, and MMS doesn't work ... those darn caps :mad:

25. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Fair enough brother. :D