Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slimfinity

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
So I was pulling my iPhone 4 out of my shorts pocket and it slipped out of my hand and landed in my driveway. I picked it up and the back glass is completly shattered. Im not talking a crack or two, Im talking completely shattered. I have invisishield on both front and back. I measured my pocket height and its only about 30" above the ground. I have dropped my previous cell phones on occasion and have never had an issue. I' am dissapointed but thankfully it still works fine. Now, is there a way to replace my back glass?
I have not purchased a warranty, if I do so will the back glass be covered?
What are my options to repair the back glass?
Please help!

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
Since it is user damage, Apple will not cover it.

However, you can check websites (iFixit) and see if they have a glass back available for the iPhone 4.

slimfinity

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
no luck

I checked it out and the only have earbuds for the i4. Any other suggestions?

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Go to your local apple store, be very nice and very polite. Ask themin a kind of clueless way, Gosh, I just got it and I love it so much, is there anything you can do? I bet they replace it for free.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Just wait. The back panel is easy to remove and i predict that a lot of third party companies will be making replacement ones soon. Nothing you can do for the time being.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I'll ask again, did you purchase it with an Amex card or equivalent with purchase protection plan?

I'm amazed nobody was smart enough to do this to take advantage of free 90 day insurance?

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
That's kinda cool about selling the glass on ebay...however, it says that the glass is OEM with the 32GB designation but Apple didn't designate storage capacity on the iP4 (at least not on my 16GB...maybe someone with a 32GB can shed some light?)...:confused:
Clearly not OEM...just sayin'

slimfinity

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
If i can figure out how to get pictures from iphoto onto here ill put pics up. I purchased with a Visa card from att website.

I still have the invisishield on the front and back, I dont want to peel it off the back because I dont know off all the glass will fall off.

Cottonsworth

macrumors regular
May 11, 2008
Take it to the Apple Store and speak to them politely as the other user suggested. It doesn't hurt to try.

mf2

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
aha, my apologies. Well Engadget got their hands on a white back cover from this place, maybe if you look around the site some more? :/ It isn't much help I know but good luck.

edit:
whoa the price conversion comes out to 118 bucks?! I wouldn't go with that, sorry. Best bet is to wait for more affordable replacements or talk to apple.

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
Either contact your credit card company, or see what Apple wants to replace it.

There are some 3rd party companies that look like they're going to offer replacement backs. I saw a carbon fiber one yesterday... not price or availability time frame, though.

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Or....

You can add squaretrade insurance and utilize it in a couple of weeks... i know it's not the right thing to do... but i'm not the one who's gonna do it. I have state farm for $50 a year for mine... been that way since original iPhone came out.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
So I was pulling my iPhone 4 out of my shorts pocket and it slipped out of my hand and landed in my driveway. I picked it up and the back glass is completly shattered. Im not talking a crack or two, Im talking completely shattered. I have invisishield on both front and back. I measured my pocket height and its only about 30" above the ground. I have dropped my previous cell phones on occasion and have never had an issue. I' am dissapointed but thankfully it still works fine. Now, is there a way to replace my back glass?
I have not purchased a warranty, if I do so will the back glass be covered?
What are my options to repair the back glass?
Please help!

Is your reception better or worse since you dropped it?

slimfinity

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Im the type of guy that can talk my way into or out of anything. I can sell ice to an eskimo. Went to ATT and they could do nothing, which I completely understand. So I called Apple. They guy wanted me to stop using the phone immediately because the glass was shattered (concerned for my safety). After explaining it was the only phone I had, I continued to explain what happened and confessed my love for apple. After a short time on hold he returned and informed me that they would do a one time replacement. Wow!!!! How cool. They will send me a new phone and charge my CC for a replacement phone. Once I return the shattered phone there will be no charges. I also want to add that I dealt with one person the entire time. Yes, I was put on hold a few times, but I dealt with the same guy from beginning to end. I'm very happy with the outcome of this. Apple went beyond the call. I have always been extremely satisfied with their products. This is the first time I've dealt with customer service/technical support regarding a problem. I am a very happy customer and will gladly continue to purchase apple products.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Im the type of guy that can talk my way into or out of anything. I can sell ice to an eskimo. Went to ATT and they could do nothing, which I completely understand. So I called Apple. They guy wanted me to stop using the phone immediately because the glass was shattered (concerned for my safety). After explaining it was the only phone I had, I continued to explain what happened and confessed my love for apple. After a short time on hold he returned and informed me that they would do a one time replacement. Wow!!!! How cool. They will send me a new phone and charge my CC for a replacement phone. Once I return the shattered phone there will be no charges. I also want to add that I dealt with one person the entire time. Yes, I was put on hold a few times, but I dealt with the same guy from beginning to end. I'm very happy with the outcome of this. Apple went beyond the call. I have always been extremely satisfied with their products. This is the first time I've dealt with customer service/technical support regarding a problem. I am a very happy customer and will gladly continue to purchase apple products.

That's great news.

Now get a bumper or otterbox or something. The invisishields are worthless.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

Not unheard of, especially if you're courteous. Congratulations!

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
These backs prob cost about $5 to make. I wish Apple would sell them for say $25 as replacements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.