Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Take it to the Apple Store and speak to them politely as the other user suggested. It doesn't hurt to try.

Im the type of guy that can talk my way into or out of anything. I can sell ice to an eskimo. Went to ATT and they could do nothing, which I completely understand. So I called Apple. They guy wanted me to stop using the phone immediately because the glass was shattered (concerned for my safety). After explaining it was the only phone I had, I continued to explain what happened and confessed my love for apple. After a short time on hold he returned and informed me that they would do a one time replacement. Wow!!!! How cool. They will send me a new phone and charge my CC for a replacement phone. Once I return the shattered phone there will be no charges. I also want to add that I dealt with one person the entire time. Yes, I was put on hold a few times, but I dealt with the same guy from beginning to end. I'm very happy with the outcome of this. Apple went beyond the call. I have always been extremely satisfied with their products. This is the first time I've dealt with customer service/technical support regarding a problem. I am a very happy customer and will gladly continue to purchase apple products.

Exactly what I was going to suggest. You sound like me. ;)

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
These backs prob cost about $5 to make. I wish Apple would sell them for say $25 as replacements.

Haaaa!! Apple sells you a piece of rectangular plastic and rubber for $29! I wish they would at least sell a back piece for like $60ish. If they did, it would probably be around $100.

slimfinity

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
I was courteous, the guy on the phone was courteous also. Did i mention I talked to the same person the entire time? No, retelling my story 100x or being transferred to countless people. This is the first I've dealt with Apple's customer service and I am extremely impressed. I will be writing a letter of appreciation to Apple and continue to recommend their products. They absolutely surpassed any and all expectations I had while dialing their number.

-MRB

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
UK
Times like these I'm glad i took out insurance on my iP4. Covers me from accidental damage, water damage, theft, pretty much everything.

Get a replacement iPhone while it's in for repair too :)

touchmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
If the back is so easy to get to and replace, I can see all kinds of cool backs available soon.
Wood?

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
If the back is so easy to get to and replace, I can see all kinds of cool backs available soon.
Wood?

Bamboo!

I'm sorry to upset the OP, but to your original question of "iPhone back shattered, now what?", my answer is: "The phone sucks, by the way."

atomicbatteries

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
Do yourself a favor and buy the square trade warranty over the weekend, I think its like 35% off for the holiday. Covers you for accidental so going forward you wont have to worry.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Haaaa!! Apple sells you a piece of rectangular plastic and rubber for $29! I wish they would at least sell a back piece for like $60ish. If they did, it would probably be around $100.

Why does everyone refer to the bumpers like there some cheap piece of molded rubber??

I couldn't believe how advanced they are...dual durometer rubber/plastic design with integrated buttons....pretty damn cool and a bargain at $29 if you ask me.

Of course, you will buy some $20 squishy rubber protector with cutouts where the buttons are and tell us all how thrifty you are, right??

No more bumper haters...they rock.:D

2002cbr600f4i

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2008
Step 1 - whack self in head for not having it in a proper case.... That's a lot of glass and those invisishield things do NOTHING to protect against drops, only scratching.

Step 2 - whack self in head again for dropping your nice phone

Step 3 - whack self in head again for not buying some sort of insurance for the phone

Step 4 - call AppleCare, then bend over and prepare to take it in the popper to get it fixed/replaced

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Why does everyone refer to the bumpers like there some cheap piece of molded rubber??

I couldn't believe how advanced they are...dual durometer rubber/plastic design with integrated buttons....pretty damn cool and a bargain at $29 if you ask me.

Of course, you will buy some $20 squishy rubber protector with cutouts where the buttons are and tell us all how thrifty you are, right??

Actually, I like bumpers. I've never used one since I don't have an iP4 yet, but they seem pretty good. What I was trying to say with that was that Apple will make a rubber/plastic rectangle (and that's what bumpers are, with some metal) and sell it for $29, so there's NO WAY we'll get a replacement glass back for $25.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US

+1

Don't forget the tiny hole for the tiny top microphone. The bumpers are very well engineered.

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

stevensteven123 said:
slimfinity said:
So I was pulling my iPhone 4 out of my shorts pocket and it slipped out of my hand and landed in my driveway. I picked it up and the back glass is completly shattered. Im not talking a crack or two, Im talking completely shattered. I have invisishield on both front and back. I measured my pocket height and its only about 30" above the ground. I have dropped my previous cell phones on occasion and have never had an issue. I' am dissapointed but thankfully it still works fine. Now, is there a way to replace my back glass?

I have not purchased a warranty, if I do so will the back glass be covered?

What are my options to repair the back glass?

Please help!

Is your reception better or worse since you dropped it?

Oh that's just ignorant to ask. Shame on you!

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Step 1 - whack self in head for not having it in a proper case.... That's a lot of glass and those invisishield things do NOTHING to protect against drops, only scratching.

Step 2 - whack self in head again for dropping your nice phone

Step 3 - whack self in head again for not buying some sort of insurance for the phone

Step 4 - call AppleCare, then bend over and prepare to take it in the popper to get it fixed/replaced

So you don't read threads before posting then?

The bloke got his phone exchanged by Apple. End of discussion.

slimfinity

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
pic of cracked back glass

Here's a pic of the shattered back glass. I still have the invisishield on it cause theres lots of small glass chips that are loose.

Attachments

• Photo on 2010-07-02 at 13.39 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2010-07-02 at 13.39 #2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 146
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.