Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aelrayis

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
UK
First off, the system is too low-powered for the antenna to even begin to be part of the problem. The 30-pin connector has been at the bottom of the iPhone and iPod Touch for years now, and more than one has had an issue over the years--usually with either the battery shorting out or something else in the case. Again, they antenna has nothing to do with it.

Now, if you're an electronics engineer or engineering technician like I was, then perhaps you can explain to me why you have this belief.

Looking back at the supplied images, I can think of one other reason why this might have happened--what if the connector was forced in backwards?(upside down, if that's the way you want to look at it.) By forcing the connector, you might feed the charging current into a low-resistance circuit which would very quickly overheat the wires. If so, then the fault could be the user's.

Yes the system is low power in nature, but the antenna hen receiving data from WiFi or 3G, or indeed during a call, it receive large amount of energy from the base station which can cause spark, when you have an antenna that it is open on the phone frame.
You can track on fire accidents that happens with other phones.

My advices are not to use the phone for calls while it is charging and with the iPhone 4 in particular to use the plastic cover, which isolates the Antennas.

I can not consume your idea that the user forced the connector to the limit that mixing of the pins can happen!! This is a strange argue that its the user's fault!!!!!

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Yes the system is low power in nature, but the antenna hen receiving data from WiFi or 3G, or indeed during a call, it receive large amount of energy from the base station which can cause spark, when you have an antenna that it is open on the phone frame.
You can track on fire accidents that happens with other phones.

My advices are not to use the phone for calls while it is charging and with the iPhone 4 in particular to use the plastic cover, which isolates the Antennas.

I can not consume your idea that the user forced the connector to the limit that mixing of the pins can happen!! This is a strange argue that its the user's fault!!!!!

His explanation is WAY more plausible than yours. An antenna causing a fire?! WTF??

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Yes it is, when connected to a mobile phone and in active connection with the base station.

read this article it might help in understanding: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/3986509.stm

Also watch your language!!

Did you even read that article? NOTHING is mentioned about the antenna. IN FACT, it even says this!

"Mobile phones just don't have enough power transmitted to create a spark with enough energy to cause ignition."

mattroman246

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
my phones battery just caught fire, the phone was super hot and smelled like burning rubber, popped off the back and the battery was going up in sparks and flames. ****kkkk

crazytiger86

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
motivator4c9db4ff70fa03528c0b4a7712.jpg

bear-how-about-no-wj9.jpg

Geez. At least take the watermark out of the photo..

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Steve Jobs:
Look, we're not perfect. We're human, just like YOU and we need to eat. That said, I would like to introduce a new feature... ...and I think you're gonna like it.

Now we at the Apple headquarters have been thinking, what if my PHONE could be a sense of nourishment?

It's called Nourishment and it's EXCLUSIVELY on the iPhone 4.

FOR 29.99, you can buy this WONDERFUL, TASTEFUL bread slice, which we call iSlice.

Now with our AMAZING technology, you can pair an iSlice with your SILENT, BEAUTIFUL iPhone 4. Just a FEW minutes charging, your iSlice will be ready for you AND YOUR FAMILIES' nourishment.

This is awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.