Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Highlander

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
hm... it looks like it has 384mb... NOT 512.

Can anyone really confirm this?

I am only getting around 40mb or so more free memory than the 3gs.

Using System Activity Monitor, when adding up all the ram it adds up to 382mbyte.

When I did this with the 3gs it added up to 240something.

Can anyone confirm now that is out?

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD

Using System Activity Monitor, when adding up all the ram it adds up to 382mbyte.

Checkup (the app) and official slides form Apple both confirm 512 MB.

vizkiz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Long Island, NY

As chrmjenkins said, it's 512MB. Apple has told developers that, and MemoryInfo (screencap below) adds up to 448. Remember, there is system memory that these apps can't access, and probably some for VRAM too.

Attachments

• i4 RAM.PNG
    i4 RAM.PNG
    106 KB · Views: 107

The Highlander

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
Nice...

The thing is then that iOS4 is using a LOT more memory, hence why iOS4 is so much slower on older devices. In my 3Gs it started out fine and then became a tad slower.

It would be interesting to see if it's because of background processes, which backgrounder and circuitous worked fine on my 3Gs. I can't test them on 4, but I know you CAN disable Multitasking from apple on a jailbroken 4.0.

Thanks!

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
I doubt this does anything spectacular. iMovie for iPhone is useless anyway. The extra pixels already need more RAM (btw, does the GPU has its own GDDR or does it use the system RAM?) so it's not a surprise.

Few years ago Macs had 512MB, now iPhone has! :eek::D

My eMac still has 512MB of ram and will shortly be replaced by my new iMac with 8GB of ram. It is pretty amazing what these phones can do now though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.