iPhone 4, Dust Under the Screen, anyone else?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by myztikal47, Jun 26, 2010.

1. myztikal47 macrumors regular

I just pulled my beautiful brand spanking new iPhone 4 out of my pocket to make a phone call and on the white background i saw little specs. I thought it was just dust on the screen so i took a cloth and wiped it, unfortunately at didn't fix the problem. I turned the screen off and looked at it and i can see 3 specs of dirt/dust under the glass! I can't figure out how this is even possible because it seems like everything is sealed extremely well on all sides of the phone. Ontop of is issue i too of course have the antenna problem. I hope the local apple store has some replacements in stock and are wiling to swap my phone out because i sure as he'll am going back there as soon as possible. I will post pictures later when i have a nice camera which can capture the dust specs under the glass. Anyone else have the dust between the lcd and glass? Please do let me know.

Oh for anyone that's gonna say "its just a few specs of dust who cares?". Well i care especially since i paid $748 for this sucker since i didn't want to renew my contract right now.

2. BeyondMountains macrumors 6502

i have one spec of dust. its not a big deal but it pisses me off and ill feel like an idiot trying to get apple to swap it.

3. 28Fiend macrumors member

28Fiend

Back when I got my 3g, I took mine in and received a new one because of the dust. Though the apple guy was a little leery about swapping it, he said I should not keep my phone in dusty conditions. I just keep telling him there should be no reason for dust under the screen, I think he was tired of me pushing.

4. myztikal47 thread starter macrumors regular

I called up Apple Care, told the rep about the issue, he put me on hold for a while and talked to a supervisor, came back and told me that he would setup a swap for me at my local apple store so I'm going there tomorrow to get it changed out. I know most people can't see the spec, but I know its there when it shouldn't be and like you said, it bothers the hell outta me.

edit: The only place I kept my phone was in my pocket where I've kept my blackberry for the past year and never had an issue. I'm not really angry about it because they are swapping it out so it's all good, although if they weren't willing to swap it, I'd be pretty pissed.

5. BeyondMountains macrumors 6502

haha are you serious? they have units to actually replace it with? i'm sadly considering this. i never thought i had OCD untill now

6. myztikal47 thread starter macrumors regular

Hell yes I'm serious. If it didn't cost me $748 I don't think I would mind too much, but the fact that I could have bought a decent laptop or even a HDTV for that price, the phone damn well better be perfect.

7. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

My dust was a piece of metal right in the middle of the display. Showed up as black when the screen was on and metallic when shining a light on the screen to get a better view of it.

They're going to offer you one of the white box/not "retail" new phones. To me, this isn' "new." I ended up returning mine and will just buy a new one in the coming days.

8. BeyondMountains macrumors 6502

if its not new what is it? that is awful. i bought mine from at&t will they replace it? did you get your money back?

9. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

Technically, it is "new," considering the phone was just launched. I believe that all the parts are new besides one piece inside (the piece escapes my memory at the moment). It will also have a different serial that reflects this, if Apple remains consistent with their replacement protocol of past.

These types of exchanges are usually offered for past 30 day replacements/AppleCare type situations, where a reconditioned/refurbished unit in a simple brown/white box with no accessories is offered.

My local Apple retail store as well as customer service offered this option and this option only, which I obviously refused. I shipped it back and will be credited as a return, sans restocking fee.

When my eligibility reverses, I will purchase another one. Hoping that it isn't affected with the same debris.

10. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

The insides of the replacement phones are all used.

They change all of the externals.

11. myztikal47 thread starter macrumors regular

The apple store handed me a brand new one, not a white boxed one.

12. drjsway macrumors 6502a

Are you sure its not a dead pixel? The display is fused to the glass so it's impossible to get dust in there.

13. myztikal47 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I'm sure it wasnt a pixel, and yes I know it is fused or is supposed to be fused which is why i was extremely surprised to see the dust. I took some pictures to try to capture the specs, I will upload them when i get home.

14. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

In the most important way possible from the user's point of view this is irrelevant. It's a faulty unit because of a screen issue. Why it is faulty is apple's problem, unless its down to misuse.

15. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I noticed 4 or 5 specs of dust under my screen near the top right. Called apple and have an appt. with them today at the store. Hope they swap it out with a brand new unit.

16. luvmshavd macrumors newbie

I've got a couple under my glass!!! it towards the top of the screen so you eyes are drawn to it not... Has anyone had sucess on having there phone replaced???

17. ignign0kt macrumors member

My 3GS had a ******** of dust under the screen, and even under the camera class! He told me normally they would replace the display if there's dust under it, but since I had dust under the camera they gave me a replacement phone.

But even the replacement started getting dust under the screen, I wish I knew how to prevent this... my pockets aren't full of dust or anything lol

I was really hoping the iPhone 4's design would prevent this from happening..... guess not

18. thelumpya2 macrumors regular

thelumpya2

I had the same issue, a small cluster of dark colored dust specs right in the center of my brand new screen.

so I made a genius bar appointment talked to the apple rep for 5 minutes and walked out with a new phone 10 minutes later.

I was concerned that they wouldn't have stock to replace my phone for a while, but it turns out apple stores have a specific "not for sale" stock of replacement phones for issues just like this.

I think the fact that this phones biggest positive aspect, is it's amazing screen resolution and dipslay, made me not even slightly hesitant to return it in favor of a perfect display..

19. thelumpya2 macrumors regular

thelumpya2

I think it will, it seems like the dust issue on my phone was something that occurred during manufacturing.

20. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

I have a spec of dust in my camera lens but it's on the outer glass so it doesn't seem to bother the focusing of the camera itself. I've taken photos and videos and it's never shown up so I guess I'm good.

21. ignign0kt macrumors member

I wish I knew how it happens. If it's through the dock port of the audio port or what. I would get a dock port plug, but it would be a hassle since I gotta plug the phone in every day

22. red5standingby macrumors newbie

So lame, I hoped they have would fixed this for 4. I had 4 specs of dust under my 3g as well, I ended up popping out the screen and cleaning it manually with some compressed air.

23. agoat macrumors regular

I have a couple of dust on top middle of the screen, but on the black bezel not on the screen itself. I didn't notice it the last few days, but now seeing this topic I just notice those two. Now it really bothers me :mad:

24. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I just had my original iPhone 4 replaced yesterday afternoon (not even 24 hours ago) and when I got home from the store and took a close look at the new replacement phone (which came factory sealed in the retail box) I noticed that just to the left of the home button there was a spot that I couldn't seem to clean off...I realize now that it is under the glass...I know it is not really that big of a deal, but it DOES bother the **** out of me, especially when the phone I just returned was flawless in the fit and finish sense...:mad:

25. sushirae macrumors newbie

Just discovered mine.

So I discovered a single spec of dust on my iphone 4. It really bothers me now knowing it's there... so I called up apple and said to make an appointment for exchange. I just wanna make sure all of you got new ones? with new charger and earphones? I DO NOT WANT A REFURBISHED ONE!!! gosh... I also never thought i was and OCD freak... =/ oh and did u guys return the old one with the box and everything?

Thanks!