iPhone 4 fell 5 stories... questions..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mouthster, Jan 1, 2011.

1. mouthster macrumors regular

Yup, slipped out of someones hands (not mine, lesson learned) went through a crack between the rail and the balcony and after what seemed like an eternity heard the smack when it finally hit the sidewalk. It was in a Speck Pixel HD case, but sadly landed on the face. As you can imagine the screen is cracked to all hell, the front camera and the proximity sensor are exposed, and the aluminum frame is actually bent. The back half of the phone , glass and all, came away unscathed.

Although you can't actually see anything on the screen, the phone still "works". The buttons all react and I was actually able to "unlock" it sliding my thumb along shards of splintered glass. I also was able to sync it with my laptop and do a backup. So that's good.

What am I looking at as far as replacing my phone? I've read the tales of people getting free replacements for their cracked phones but I'm not naive enough to think that an Apple employee will look at my phone and think that it has been dropped less then 5 feet. I can't seem to find anything concrete on "replacement" phones. For a 32 gig, if I give them my busted phone will they sell me one for $299 again? or do I have to buy one full price, $699? Then maybe fix my old one and sell it ? Anyone have any idea what my best option is here? I have an appt. at the Apple Store tomorrow morning so we'll see how it goes. I think I can swallow another $299 and chalk the whole thing up to "dookie happens" but any higher and I'm wondering if I just go back to my 3G and ride it out until the next model comes.

2. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Call Apple and get a $200 out of warranty replacement.

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I believe that Apple will replace your cracked glass for $99. It may not be worth it if the band around the side is too messed up though.

4. tigress666 macrumors 68040

What about the person who dropped it?

Can't they take some responsibility for not being careful with your phone?

I have heard if they can refurbish yours they will sell you a refurbished one for 200 but I think the phone has to be in once piece (don't know what they'd say about the bent frame).

Anyways, I'd just be polite and ask them what they can do for you when you go there. Don't act like you expect them to just replace it, as you said, it will be obvious to all involved the phone got abuse. But see if you can't see if you can get enough sympathy to just get a refurb sold to you?

5. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Get the "someone" to pay for it. Then the price doesnt matter lol :D I'd be pissed if someone dropped my phone 5 stories.
    That's why no one touches my iPhone. But as far as apple replacing it. That's a long shot. Its always worth a shot. Who knows, maybe youll get a genius in really realllllllyyyyy good mood.

6. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Try the Apple store first. I don't think they really don't care what happened - if they are in a good mood, and you are nice, you may get a new (refurb) one anyway. I am speaking form experience.

If you go "by the book," I think they also offer a replacement for $199. I have a receipt that says as much, although the amount due is zeroed out.

You can also repair the phone with online parts, probably for less than $199 in your case, but be warned that the phone disassembles from the back, and you essentially have to strip it to get to the front display/glass.

I would just go to Apple and ask what your options are. You might be surprised. At any rate, I don't think you are out $299 no matter what.

7. ACHAMED macrumors member

ACHAMED

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I shattered the screen to my iPhone 4, I went to apple told them exactly what happen, and they gave me brand new one for free, just tell them the truth

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Where do you live?

AT&T usually had some kind of "middle period" between your full-price time and your full-subsidy time.

It depends on how much your bill is each month so we can't tell you if you're eligible. You can log in to the at&t website and go to SHOP > UPGRADE

Try the 'shop for device' link and try and buy a new iPhone. You can see the price before you actually have to buy anything.

I, for example, can apparently buy a new 32 GB iPhone 4 for $449 right now. That's more than the $299 subsidized price, but less than the full $699 it would usually be.

So that's probably your best bet...to check on that. If you're in another country I dunno how your carrier deals with it.

9. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I say you do something about that person who dropped it. They should know to be careful with an iPhone.

What did happen?

10. iAd4m macrumors member

To be honest, I'd just visit the nearest Apple store with that someone who dropped my phone and have him buy me a new one.

You break it, you pay it

11. mouthster thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and insight. I'll go to Apple tomorrow and tell them what happened. As far as the person that dropped it - they feel terrible and have offered to help, I'm just trying to see what the options are and minimize the impact, no pun intended.

12. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Ah, that's reasonable. Sounds like a good friendship (no reason to make it cost more for him/her if you can make it less and good that they offered to help).

13. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

Wow, the iPhone should have broken into pieces with such a fall.

14. KSKENE247 macrumors member

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Go to Apple but be honest and they might work for you.

"yeah so, I dropped my phone 5 stories and I completely understand that I'll need to pay $200 for a replacement. But could you guys possibly make a 1 time exception for me or no? please :D:D

16. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

17. Savor Suspended

Savor

That sucks to hear. I have that same case, but the stiff one that nobody likes because the buttons are hard to press. I never let anyone check out my phone unless we are on carpet or if we are sitting down on a table. I get paranoid standing on the upper railing of a mall checking out my phone because someone can accidently bump into me.

The person who broke it should take responsiblity for it. Just bring them to the Apple Store and see if you can make a deal/compromise. Tell them the exact story with that person as the alibi. They might be gracious enough to give you a one time replacement. If not, well, hope that person who broke it takes responsibility and pay for the difference.

18. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Farkin' cheap a$$ case isn't worth a hoot!

19. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

That's only the back glass and his back glass is fine.

Yeah, but I didn't buy a nice sleek and thin iPhone just so I could put on a case that makes the thing the size of a brick.

20. Infraggable Kru, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011

Infraggable Kru macrumors regular

The phone fell 5 stories what the Fark where you expecting to happen even in a hideous Otterbox Brick ?

OP go to apple pay $200 to get it replaced and have your friend pay for it.

21. mouthster thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again for all the replies, sounds like I might either A.) luck out and get it replaced no charge or B.) have the option to get a replacement for $200. Works for me.

Here's some pics for your enjoyment. NSFW.

Attached Files:

22. trozau macrumors regular

trozau

23. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

^^^
    wow, I'm surprised the phone still worked.

Goes to show how top notch the iPhone 4 really is!

24. labman macrumors 604

labman

as others said be honest with Genus and extra nice maybe you will get lucky. I think the guy should at least split the cost with you. I honestly think the fact it works is pretty good advertising for Apple.

25. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

looks like the On/Off button survived in mint condition ... tough break and good luck :cool: