iPhone 4 Glass Scratches easy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jdusoccer12, Aug 11, 2010.

1. jdusoccer12 macrumors regular

Ok I take really good care of my phone and had the iPhone 3G for 2 years and didn't have any problems with scratches on the screen. Now with the iPhone 4 I have taken even better care of it and it is covered in scratches some seem minor but some seem deep and make it look weird when you look at it with the screen on. Once I noticed this it made me really mad because it is supposed to be a stronger screen.

2. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

I haven't had this problem...are you rocking it naked? in your pocket? another way scratches get on the phone is from rings on fingers... do you wear a wedding band or class ring etc?

3. jdusoccer12 thread starter macrumors regular

I have a bumper on it and when I put it in my pocket it is by itself I won't put anything else in with it and I don't have rings or anything. I am going to try and get a pick but it will probably be hard to take it.

4. nabechu macrumors 6502

this is why i put a screen protector on it as soon as I got my phone

5. jdusoccer12 thread starter macrumors regular

I was going to put a screen protector on it but I never got a scratch on my 3G and I was told that the glass was even stronger.

6. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Poppycock.

I don't care what the great Apple in the sky says. I have two scratches on the front of my phone to prove otherwise. One is deep enough to catch a nail on. The only two things that go in my pocket with the phone, Keys and a Pen.

Thank goodness the Power Support screen saver hides them for the most part.

7. studio¹³¹ macrumors 6502

studio¹³¹

duh.

8. epoch. macrumors newbie

keys lol

I don't even keep change in my iPhone pocket.

9. nabechu macrumors 6502

No matter how tough apple says something is, i'll still always put a screen protector and case on it. Also, put your phone in a pocket with nothing else in it. (keys, pens, change)

10. S.Kay macrumors member

S.Kay

Is this a joke? Nah seriously, please tell me your kidding! You put keys with your iPhone and you expect a scratch not to emerge? The iPhone 4 is scratch resistant not scratch proof..jesus christ.

11. dialed1 macrumors 6502

dialed1

Mine did super easy it sucks none of my other iPhones did this so I'm using front and rear screen protectors.

12. Unteligent1 macrumors newbie

Yep, the iPhone has one pocket specially reserved :)

13. danno1769 macrumors member

The back of mine is scratched up a ton from before the bumper.

14. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Well in your defense I've always babies mine and never have had any kind of metal / coins in my pockets at the same time. Within a week of ownin it I noticed a scratch on the back near the camera. Also on the front there's small scratches that looks like spider web....

I think it may be the oleophobic coating your seeing getting scratched. IF it is the actual glass it goes exactly 200% against what apple claimed....

15. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Okay so no not a joke, but perhaps not phrased correct. I do always try to keep my phone alone in the pocket, and as I wear dress pants daily it actually slides into the inner change pocket of most of my pants.

I do from time to time drop my keys into my pocket with my phone, but its the exception not the rule. If I have a pen its clipped to the top of the pocket.

I have used all 4 iPhones in the same manner and have never had any of the prior models suffer from a scratch on the face.

Most of the time I have a screen saver on them, this time I had removed the ZAGG one (crap by the way) and was waiting on the PS.

Im a big boy, I scratched it and don't try to blame that fact on anyone other then myself. Doesn't mean I can't be ticked off about it.

But the point is, I don't think this glass is any more scratch resistant then the other phones have been.

16. ~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

Can't you use a scratch remove to get rid of light scratches on the glass?

17. colder macrumors member

Uh... try not putting it in a pocket with your keys...

I don't put anything else in my cellphone pocket, never have. Not change, not keys, nothing at all.

and I never have beat-up phones like most people seem to have.

18. allaboutmusic macrumors member

I also have a dedicated phone pocket and have done before I got my first iPhone (a 3G). My left front pocket always has just my phone, my right back pocket has my ultrathin wallet, and my front right pocket has keys, change and anything else.

19. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

i keep my 3GS together with keys, pen and notepad in my pocket at work. no scratches on the front.

20. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

The phone isn't destruction proof. My iPhone lives in my left pocket with nothing else in there.

21. UCF Sam macrumors regular

Yep... It scratches very easily. Mostly from tiny particles in pockets like sand and grit. Front/back screen shield is essential if you don't wan't scratches.

22. ZappBrannigan macrumors newbie

Argh

I've had my phone for less than two weeks and I have a tiny scratch on the front and two long scratches on the back.

I've spent the last two weeks in my office or at home. I don't have sand or rocks in my pockets. I carry my iphone in my front pant pocket, and never with any other items.

This phone scratches very easily. Maybe not with a key or knife, but there must be something seemingly harmless that does the damage.

I hate skins, but I already ordered two. I actually don't mind the back scratches because I think the back glass can be replaced cheaply.

My 3G went two years without a scratch on the front. Something changed for the worse with the new screen. I figured with 3G glass on front and back that this phone would always look new. Wrong!

23. Silenthillnight macrumors member

Seems like a lot of people put their phones in their left front pocket. I'm gonna have to change it up now and then to keep the pickpockets guessing :)

24. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

HAHA DUMB

25. jonhcox macrumors regular

Particles of dirt/sand/dust in your pocket can be MANY, MANY times more abrasive than keys, pens, knife, etc. It doesn't matter what freaking phone you have- even if it's made from honest to God Gorilla Glass on all four sides- it will frakking scratch. What do you expect? An impervious phone? Slap a protector on the screen and move on.

Calling Apple liars because it scratched is just stupid. If you don't want it damaged- frakking protect it! Same with dropping the damn thing- it DOESN'T matter what phone you have- IT'LL BREAK EVENTUALLY. Why do people always act surprised?

If you are smart, go to your basement, turn it into a lab, and create transparent adamantium. Voila- problem solved.