iPhone 4--is it safe to buy or should i wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ducatidog996, Jul 26, 2010.

1. ducatidog996 macrumors newbie

I have been back and fourth, wanting to pull the trigger on the ip4 but i keep thinking that they will make a hardware change to the phone sooner or later...do you guys think they will make the change? i do not want to buy a phone and renew my plan only to have my phone be outdated and defected. please help!

2. draz macrumors 6502a

September 30th... mark it on your calendar. What happens then will give you all the answers to your questions.

I would wait if you are not sure...

3. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

It's a none issue and Apple won't be doing anything else.

They are launching in 17 countries this week, same design. If it was really something they were fixing they wouldn't add more fuel to the fire.

4. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

Buy it and then if you don't like it return it within 30 days.

I highly doubt that they'd do a refresh.

5. curitibagarrett macrumors member

6. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

Apple will NOT change the design of iPhone 4. Buy now, later, never, whenever.

7. ducatidog996 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks so far, its not that i wouldn't like it, it will be my 3rd iphone (iphone 1st gen and i have a 3gs in white now) it would just be that, i would not want a phone thats going to still have the atennagate problem. but i did read that gizmodo said apple is doing a silent recall? if thats true, would that mean that they fixed the antenna problem or that the 4.0.1 fixed it in all phones?

im sorry im sucha noob. apologies

8. andrewsd macrumors 6502

What

Omg an iPhone that works. I have no issues with mine niether do the several other people I know that have them from coast to coast. People just like to complain. For some it may have been a real issue bt with a lot of things thank the media including this forumboard for blowing it out of porportion.

9. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Gizmodo doesn't know ****. There is no silent recall. 4.0.1 fixed an issue that displayed the signal strength (with the bars) wrong. I can honestly say that I cannot make my phone drop to "no signal." Sure, covering the antenna drops a couple of bars, but I have yet to drop an actual call. It's a great phone.

10. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I did the same progression as you and I could not be happier with my iPhone 4 (well if it were white I would be happier, but thats another story). I can make it drop signal if I cover the gap for a few minutes, but day to day it hasn't cause me a single issue.

Good luck finding one though haha

11. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

I honestly have had ZERO problems with my iPhone 4. I've held the phone in the "death grip" multiple times with no signal loss. Maybe I just got lucky? Or maybe people are making a big deal out of nothing. I say get one and if you don't like it, just return it. You have nothing to lose. Apple is not going to redesign it.

12. reliantj macrumors 6502

i hate when people post this crap.

this is the product they gave us. they want us to deal with it which is evident from press conference. stop whining people. do or don't. you already know what's going on.

13. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

Believe half of what you see and none of what you read :cool:

No-ones "knows" for certain but it is highly unlikely since Apple is continuing to sell the iPhone and launching in multiple countries this week. They would have done something about it already if they were ever going to.

14. mcarthon macrumors regular

It is not safe! The iPhone will self destruct shortly after actuvation. Purchase at your own caution!

15. ducatidog996 thread starter macrumors newbie

if you hate it, then dont write on it. i dont need your ********. im trying to find out some information from people who are actually willing to help.
    thanks for the help everyone who contributed it has been very helpful so far.

16. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

I got mine last week! It's been flawless! Got 4-6 bars everywhere I go I love it! Now is the time to buy!

17. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

As someone who had the original iPhone, and the 3gs, and the 4, I would say your instincts to wait are good. Sept 30, see what that brings. There are more issues than just the connectivity problems and it would be nice to have some of these fixes in place.

18. Ktdhc macrumors member

So what's really the truth then, some people are saying they're dropping calls on the slightest touch to the corner and some people saying that their phone is perfect. Are they just being fanboys in denial? Or is it because they're in an area with good reception and the death grip doesn't matter as much?

19. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

20. michaelz macrumors regular

You will never buy anything! Please don't buy iPhone 4. The only problem apple has is to keep up with the orders.:apple:

21. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

If you're going to wait for a revision, it's going to be the iPhone 5. The only reason I would wait is to see if it gets moved to other carriers.

22. bruvone macrumors newbie

Buy the friggin phone, and if you don't like it return it. Why are we still talking about this?

23. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

There is literally no problem with this phone. The only problem is that people don't want to believe that every phone does this.

I used to sell cell phones before the iPhone came out and people came in all the time thinking something was wrong because they were sitting there touching the antenna.

As for my iPhone4, and everyone I know who has one (22 people I know thus far, 14 of them close friends) and not one person has a single problem.

24. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

This. I am loving my iP4 having upgraded from a 3G. There will not be any new hardware until June. An antenna redesign would require an expensive round of testing and FCC approval, neither of which is warranted by the magnitude of the so-called problem.

If you wait for anything, wait for a proximity sensor fix, which I expect within a week or two.

25. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

You have 14 close friends?! :eek: