iPhone 4 Japan (Softbank)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by svalentine, Jun 10, 2010.

1. svalentine macrumors regular

So looks like we can preorder on the 15th and pick up on the 24th. Any idea if softbank will offer any upgrade options to 3G/3GS users? What will the price be for the 16GB and 32GB versions?

2. PUNISHER80 macrumors newbie

good question, I have asked at my local Softbank everyday this week and gotten nowhere. I hope they have some sort of answer soon...

3. svalentine thread starter macrumors regular

Last year softbank was bad about releasing information and waited until the last minute. I really do hope they offer some type of upgrade for current iPhone users. I rather not have to deal with canceling my current plan.

4. TheFreshPrince macrumors member

I have been wondering the same thing. I'm sure we will hear something in the next few days though, as they will have to release the prices before people can make a decision and start preordering online. Maybe Monday?

5. svalentine thread starter macrumors regular

6. svalentine thread starter macrumors regular

7. PUNISHER80 macrumors newbie

I checked again today and nothing new still. I guess we will just have to wait till tuesday when we do the pre-order. I am getting it either way, full price or at a discount.

8. svalentine thread starter macrumors regular

Sweet we can pre order it tomorrow and still no price! I wonder if it will be like the iPhone 3GS where you can either pay $20 on top of each bill for 2 years for the iPhone or just buy it out right and avoid the $20. I bought mine outright last year, so I guess I should be able to upgrade, since I don't owe them anything?

9. samuraistu macrumors newbie

Found this on twitter

めも: iPhone4速報出てる。「新規契約では16GBモデルが5万4800円、32GBモデルが6万3900円となる。機種変更では16GBモデルが3万6500円、32GBモデルが4万5600円になる。

10. TheFreshPrince macrumors member

11. johnsmith84 macrumors newbie

@TheFreshPrince:
    Unless I am missing something it has not all been announced - there is still no answer for the question asked by the first poster - what type of upgrade plans are available for iPhone 3GS owners.

12. anp12 macrumors newbie

doubtful

i highly doubt softbank will offer any upgrades for the new iphone 4.
    when I switched from the iphone3G to iphone3GS, it was bad enough. must finish paying off the first phone as well as the newer one. only did it because the price of the plan went down so that my total bill was actually the same, even with paying for the old phone (now used as my ipod touch). at that time i was able to cancel my plan and start a new one without penalties. however, the new agreement for the 3GS does not allow any cancellations. suck it up for 1.5 more years, and by then another newer iphone will be available ...

13. osakatonite macrumors newbie

any news yet?

I've absolutely HATED my iphone 3g from the first week and was approaching the two year contract like a prison sentence. For the last 3 weeks the home button hasn't worked and they won't fix it. As much as I have reservations about the idea, if there is an upgrade option, I might take it (six months left on my contract) just to get a phone that, 1. might actually have better reception and 2. will at least have a home button that works. Has anyone found out about the upgrade option yet? Please post if you have.

14. samuraistu macrumors newbie

upgrade

I just got back from my local softbank shop and there is no upgrade option as such but you can change handset no problem. You just have pay off the remaining monthly fee on your current handset in either one lump sum or keep paying it monthly. This of course means you will be paying for 2 handsets for a while. I chose to pay it in one lump sum as I had only 3 months left, so it only cost about ¥10,000. Also no white handsets at the moment.

15. osakatonite macrumors newbie

upgrade 2

Samuraistu is absolutely right. I just got back from my local store, which is basically in the middle of nowhere (the reason I mention this will be apparent later) and confirmed that there is no upgrade. Since my iphone is already broken I signed up for a iphone4 and will have to pay for two handsets for the remaining six months. If you are already on a softbank contract they can do the forms for you automatically which is much easier than the downloaded forms. I signed up at 7 p.m. and even though my store is in the middle of nowhere there were already 15 people who had signed up ahead of me. The worker told me that people had started showing up at this store by 4:30. He was not optimistic that the store would receive sufficient phones on the 24th. When pressed, his guess was that the store would receive 3 phones and they would go to the first three people on the list and then keep working their way down as more phones arrived. Even though I'm thoroughly disappointed with my current iphone, I can't help being excited about a new phone, whenever it arrives. Hopefully it will be a great leap forward.

16. natejohnstone@g macrumors regular

natejohnstone@g

Does anyone have links to SB rate plans for the iPhone 4 in English? I'm moving to Japan next week and want to get the new iphone, but I can't read Japanese to save my life, lol. Though it seems like it would be complicated even in English--a very different system then they have here in the States (and potentially better).

17. butaro macrumors regular

plans

taken from this site and the online reservation form pages,,,
    http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/iphone/iphone4/price_plan.html
    Basically.....
    You have to sign up for
    S!ベーシックパック(i) 315円
    (Basic Pack, allows you to use internet and mail)
    ホワイトプラン(i) 980円
    (White Plan, pretty much the cheapest monthly plan)

Then there are two data plans you have to choose from
    パケットし放題フラット 4,410円
    (Maxed Flat rate)
    or
    パケットし放題 for スマートフォン 1,029円~4,410
    (Regular rate)
    The actual contents of the data plans are the same but depending on which one you pick you are eligible for a larger discount if you choose the "Maxed Flat rate"

Heres the cost of using the "Maxed Flat rate"

iPhone 4
    32GB
    4,410円 data plan
    315円 basic package
    -1,920円 discount for using maxed flat rate
    980円 white plan
    2,400円 monthly cost for iphone (25payments)
    Total being
    6,185円~ A month

This is using the other regular plan
    iPhone 4
    32GB
    1,029円~ data plan
    315円 basic package
    -1,440円 discount for regular packet rate
    980円 white plan
    2,400円 monthly cost for iphone (25 payments)
    Total being
    3,380円~ A month

For people who are wishing to upgrade, it is possible according to the online site the only restriction is that you have been on your contract for more than 6 months. 2 years or more is considered as a regular upgrade and follows the pricing above.

On top of the monthly rate above there is an extra monthly payment of
    for 12months to 17 months into contract +1,180yen
    for 18months to 23 months into contract +680 yen

NOTES: (Actual Cost 16GB 46,080yen, 32GB 57,600yen)
    However
    16GB on FLAT plan = Total Payment of 0yen
    32GB on FLAT plan = Total Payment of 11,520yen
    16GB on Regular plan = Total Payment of 11,520yen
    32GB on Regular plan = Total Payment of 23,040yen
    Cheapest plan being the 16GB on FLAT plan IF you actually are going to max out packets every month.

****The "Discount" is used towards Calling time so for "-1,920円 discount" pretty much you get 50 minutes calling time included

18. natejohnstone@g macrumors regular

natejohnstone@g

^ THANK YOU!

So does anyone have recommendations for me? I will mostly be using WiFi, but want data for when I need it. I'm thinking I probably will NOT need to unlimited (flat?) data plan, though. I'll also be using as few voice minutes as possible--the voice minute plans are kind of confusing to me.

19. butaro macrumors regular

NP!

I personally do not have an Internet connection in my house, I "borrow" WIFI, but it is pretty unreliable. I usually max out my data plan on my normal cellphone so I'm going for the max plan.
    Currently my monthly payment hovers around 7000yen and like I said I max out my data plan every month, I like to use mixi, facebook, check my gmail, weather, random searches etc. Will be nice to use Skype a little bit over 3G!!

As for the details on what exactly the data plan covers,
    1,029yen caps at 12,250 packets, anything over that adds up until you hit 71,250 packets then its 4,410yen

I usually go over that :S

20. svalentine thread starter macrumors regular

I bought my iPhone 3GS outright from Softbank. So, I won't owe them anything, but I think this time around, for the iPhone 4, I may try the monthly phone handset charge.

21. osakatonite macrumors newbie

upgrade and data plan price

Hello,

In response to your question about the pricing and which plan to choose:

It can become complicated to determine whether the max data plan is best or the pay as you go up to the max plan. Normally, it would seem that the pay as you go would be the obvious option because it is capped. The reason it isn't such an obvious choice is that the "discount" you get for choosing that option is higher than the discount you get with the other data plan. In order to make the best decision you would have to know how close you would come to maxing out. After 18 months of use on my current 3g, I know that I max out the data so I chose that one. On the other hand, reception and actual phone calls are supposed to work better on the i4 which would likely lower my data usage but I still stuck with the max plan.

In addition to the costs already mentioned, you are going to have to select a minutes plan which is unnecessarily complicated. On the other hand, after a couple of months of use, you can ask them to audit your minutes and easily change to the best plan for you. All in, you're probably going to be at about 8,500 yen a month.

As for the comment that an upgrade is supposedly available, Softbank is adamant that no upgrade is available at all.

22. DragonJade macrumors 6502

Going off this page, they say that data download is unlimited, but they also say that if you go over 30,000 Yen in data charges, they'll send you an SMS - meaning they're probably not too happy about the insane amount of data you're downloading:
    http://mb.softbank.jp/en/price_plans/upd_smart.html

The 5985 Yen price point to 'unlimited internet' is 71250 packets. Each of Softbank's packets is 128k. This works out to about 8.7 Megabytes. That's right, 8.7 Meg. That's less than the average size of a YouTube video.

So, if it looks like you're going to use more that 8.7 Meg a month in data downloads (that'll include your email as well) you're better off with the unlimited plan.

One thing I did notice earlier on the website, "Messaging iPhone mail addresses (xxx@i.softbank.jp) incurs packet communications charges." But I can still send/receive SkyMail (SMS) and ShaMail (S! Mail) to someone with an iPhone for free, right?

23. DragonJade macrumors 6502

You're probably best off with the White Plan. If you're going to spend more than 23.3 minutes a month talking between the hours of 9pm-1am to other Softbank users, or will call phones (at any time) that aren't Softbank, Double White Plan is for you.

For me, I mostly have the phone for receiving calls, so I'm fine with the White Plan. Some months I'm on the phone for way more than 23.3 minutes to none Softbank phones, so I could have been better off with the Double White plan. But in the long run, the standard White Plan works best for me.

24. natejohnstone@g macrumors regular

natejohnstone@g

Thanks a lot of all the advice, gang! Yea, SoftBank sure makes things complicated, lol.

I think I'll start off with the White plan and the data plan that's NOT "unlimited," figuring that I can always call them and upgrade to a bigger plan if I need it--typically companies are fine with you deciding to give them more money :)

Is it better to just buy the iPhone 4 outright or to pay in monthly installments? Typically places charge MORE for the monthly payment plans. I'll be in Misawa for at least 3 years, so paying it off in time is not an issue, though, if the monthly plan isn't any more expensive.