Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DragonJade

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2009
Thanks a lot of all the advice, gang! Yea, SoftBank sure makes things complicated, lol.

I think I'll start off with the White plan and the data plan that's NOT "unlimited," figuring that I can always call them and upgrade to a bigger plan if I need it--typically companies are fine with you deciding to give them more money :)

Is it better to just buy the iPhone 4 outright or to pay in monthly installments? Typically places charge MORE for the monthly payment plans. I'll be in Misawa for at least 3 years, so paying it off in time is not an issue, though, if the monthly plan isn't any more expensive.

I think of it as more choice, not complicated. :)

First off, are you really, really sure you won't be going over 8.7MB a month? Remember, even if you view a YouTube video, you could be hitting the limit straight away.

Next, changing plans. You should find out if Softbank will actually let you do this. Strange that they shouldn't, I know, but then Japan has been know for some strange stuff. Ever heard the story about the guy who went into McDonalds in Japan and asked for a burger without pickles? He was told he had to have pickles as they were part of the burger.

And if they do let you change plans midway though, see if they will charge you an administration fee. I can't remember what it is. Something like 2000 Yen plus tax. I know they charge you this when you upgrade to a new phone. Also, they may insist that you pay a fee for changing/breaking the original contract, and insist that you start the contract period afresh - meaning 24/25 months from that point on.

If you're going to be here for more than two years, it'll be cheaper to sign up than to buy the phone. Actually, I spoke to a guy at Yodobashi about six months ago, and he said that Softbank do not allow the sales of handsets any more. They all have to be on contract.

I don't know if it's possible or if it'll work out cheaper, but maybe you can get an iPhone from abroad, and put a Softbank SIM in it. If you really don't want the data plan, you could get around the contract and just end up paying for White Plan plus the email plan.

And don't forget, being Softbank, it'll more than likely be SIM locked if you get it here. Useless if you take it abroad when you leave Japan, unless they find a way to, ahem, get around it, in the future.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
First off, are you really, really sure you won't be going over 8.7MB a month? Remember, even if you view a YouTube video, you could be hitting the limit straight away.

Absolutely right on this. I went for the unlimited packet flat plan (4410 yen) all-you-can-eat data for my iPhone 4. Even if you plan on only light Internet usage (remember mail and GPS included) you're going to go over the max. I do use my WiFi at home but the iPhone will switch over to 3G at will even if the signal just drops significantly.

natejohnstone@g

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2007
I think of it as more choice, not complicated. :)

Next, changing plans. You should find out if Softbank will actually let you do this. Strange that they shouldn't, I know, but then Japan has been know for some strange stuff. Ever heard the story about the guy who went into McDonalds in Japan and asked for a burger without pickles? He was told he had to have pickles as they were part of the burger.

And if they do let you change plans midway though, see if they will charge you an administration fee. I can't remember what it is. Something like 2000 Yen plus tax. I know they charge you this when you upgrade to a new phone. Also, they may insist that you pay a fee for changing/breaking the original contract, and insist that you start the contract period afresh - meaning 24/25 months from that point on.

If you're going to be here for more than two years, it'll be cheaper to sign up than to buy the phone. Actually, I spoke to a guy at Yodobashi about six months ago, and he said that Softbank do not allow the sales of handsets any more. They all have to be on contract.

I don't know if it's possible or if it'll work out cheaper, but maybe you can get an iPhone from abroad, and put a Softbank SIM in it. If you really don't want the data plan, you could get around the contract and just end up paying for White Plan plus the email plan.

And don't forget, being Softbank, it'll more than likely be SIM locked if you get it here. Useless if you take it abroad when you leave Japan, unless they find a way to, ahem, get around it, in the future.

Okay, so I'll go the "unlimited" data plan for sure, then. Then I'll talk to them when I get there about voice minutes to see how many I'll need. Is it that you're only charged usage for OUTGOING minutes (i.e. calls you make) and not incoming minutes (when people call you)? I'll probably use Skype to call landlines, so I'd only have to worry about calls I'd make to other mobiles, then.

The "SIM locked" thing as very annoying, but honestly I'll be in Japan for at least 3 years and after that will likely want a new phone anyway, so I don't think it will matter much.

DragonJade

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2009
Then I'll talk to them when I get there about voice minutes to see how many I'll need. Is it that you're only charged usage for OUTGOING minutes (i.e. calls you make) and not incoming minutes (when people call you)? I'll probably use Skype to call landlines, so I'd only have to worry about calls I'd make to other mobiles, then.

Sorry, but have you actually looked at the Softbank website for pricing? There are no plans based on number of minutes.

http://mb.softbank.jp/en/price_plans/

Reread my post about the two main plans and read the website.

You will only be charged for outgoing calls.

natejohnstone@g

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2007
Sorry, but have you actually looked at the Softbank website for pricing? There are no plans based on number of minutes.

http://mb.softbank.jp/en/price_plans/

Reread my post about the two main plans and read the website.

You will only be charged for outgoing calls.

Okay, I think I get it now ... what was confusing me is that apparently with the White plan you can NOT call non-Softbank mobiles or landlines. So I'll just have to see what company most of the people around me are using. If they're all on Softbank, I'll be set with the White plan (I can use Skype for landlines, and probably cheaper since I may get the "Unlimited World" anyway).

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
what was confusing me is that apparently with the White plan you can NOT call non-Softbank mobiles or landlines.

I'm pretty sure you realize this but just to clarify the only thing you can NOT call on the regular White Plan is non-Softbank or landlines for free. Obviously, you can call any phone, Softbank or otherwise. You'll just be subject to standard rates.

For an extra 980 yen per month there is also the Double White Plan which allows you to call any carrier's phones at a discounted rate of 10.5 yen per 30 seconds 24/7.

DragonJade

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2009
I'm pretty sure you realize this but just to clarify the only thing you can NOT call on the regular White Plan is non-Softbank or landlines for free. Obviously, you can call any phone, Softbank or otherwise. You'll just be subject to standard rates.

For an extra 980 yen per month there is also the Double White Plan which allows you to call any carrier's phones at a discounted rate of 10.5 yen per 30 seconds 24/7.

I did say this in post 24:

You're probably best off with the White Plan. If you're going to spend more than 23.3 minutes a month talking between the hours of 9pm-1am to other Softbank users, or will call phones (at any time) that aren't Softbank, Double White Plan is for you.

For me, I mostly have the phone for receiving calls, so I'm fine with the White Plan. Some months I'm on the phone for way more than 23.3 minutes to none Softbank phones, so I could have been better off with the Double White plan. But in the long run, the standard White Plan works best for me.

So, if you read the website and read what I wrote above, it should all start to make sense, Nate.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I did say this in post 24:

You did indeed, sorry for doubling up.

Anyway, my main point was to correct Nate in case he was under the mistaken impression that with the White Plan, Softbank handsets are incapable of calling other carriers and landlines. (which is exactly what he wrote).

DragonJade

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2009
You did indeed, sorry for doubling up.

Anyway, my main point was to correct Nate in case he was under the mistaken impression that with the White Plan, Softbank handsets are incapable of calling other carriers and landlines. (which is exactly what he wrote).

Sorry, I didn't intend to say that you had missed it, rather that Nate should have seen it, and maybe worked out a few things from it.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Going off this page, they say that data download is unlimited, but they also say that if you go over 30,000 Yen in data charges, they'll send you an SMS - meaning they're probably not too happy about the insane amount of data you're downloading:
http://mb.softbank.jp/en/price_plans/upd_smart.html

I think you may have misunderstood this (which is OK, since Softbank's English-language information is usually a bit confusing). The page that you link features information that applies to Softbank's data plans for ALL smartphones, not just iPhones.

The notification is sent out to customers whose data-usage charges are NOT part of the standard flat-rate plan, such as using the phone when overseas (which does apply to the iPhone) but also a few things that do not apply to the iPhone.

Here's the complete list from that page:

Functions of certain handsets (such as the 705NK)

Mobile phone connections to a computer via USB cable

Mobile data transmission using SoftBank Connect Card (including Access Internet)

Overseas use of SMS, S! Mail (MMS), or web access

International SMS, International S! Mail (MMS), SMS, Voice Calls or Video Calls

In other words, you'll get the warning when your international roaming charges on the iPhone exceed 30,000 yen.

Hope this helps clarify things a bit :)

PUNISHER80

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2007
As to the question about whether it would be cheaper to buy the iPhone 4 outright or pay monthly, it is cheaper for my to buy it in monthly installments. I have had Softbank for about 8 months and am changing from the 3Gs to iPhone 4. they wanted approx. $631 to buy it out right, or $26 a month for 24 months with a $10 discount added in. So my bill will go up by $16, but overall I will now only pay $384. I am not sure why I get the $10 a month discount, but I am not going to complain about it. Also I am still paying for my 3Gs, but on my current plan it works out to costing me $5. Hopefully this helps a little, I am not sure how it will work for new contracts for buying it outright, I don't think you can do it though.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
As to the question about whether it would be cheaper to buy the iPhone 4 outright or pay monthly, it is cheaper for my to buy it in monthly installments. I have had Softbank for about 8 months and am changing from the 3Gs to iPhone 4. they wanted approx. $631 to buy it out right, or $26 a month for 24 months with a $10 discount added in. So my bill will go up by $16, but overall I will now only pay $384. I am not sure why I get the $10 a month discount, but I am not going to complain about it. Also I am still paying for my 3Gs, but on my current plan it works out to costing me $5. Hopefully this helps a little, I am not sure how it will work for new contracts for buying it outright, I don't think you can do it though.

The iPhone 4 is 46,080 yen for the 16GB and 57,600 yen for the 32GB models respectively. With the Value Program (Packet-Shihoudai Flat - all you can use data) plan the 16GB is fully subsidized so you pay 0 yen for the phone itself. For the 32GB model, 46080 yen is subsidized so the customer is liable for 11520 yen (24 x 480 yen payments).

This is the same system as the iPhone 3GS had. The problem is, the subsidy is conditional upon the customer completing all 24 payments. If you got an iPhone 3GS 8 months ago and want to switch to an iPhone 4 now you can do so but you would need to forfeit the subsidy on your 3GS for the privilege and would be responsible for the full remaining payments . So for example, if you had a 32 GB iPhone 3GS and 16 payments remaining you would have to pay 16 times 2400 yen (the full unsubsidized monthly payment) or 38400 yen. You can choose to have that fee appear as a one time payment on your first bill with the iPhone 4 or 16 more times on TOP of the payments for the new phone.

So just be careful to understand that if you are cancelling an existing handset contract early to get a new phone that all subsidies for that phone disappear by doing so leaving you fully responsible for the balance of payments on the old phone at retail price.

KB7

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
Misawa, Japan
so i bought the original iphone last summer when I first got here to Japan, while they were giving them away for "free" i payed for the phone up front so i havent had to worry about the monthly fee's in my bill to pay for the headset. I was thinking of getting the iphone 4 and just doing the payment plan on it since i still have 2 more years here. My only thing is right now im paying between 50-60 dollars a month, i dont wanna make it upwards of 70-90 dollars. so im not sure what plan to go with now, as i currently just have the white plan, and unlimited data.

natejohnstone@g

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2007
Thanks for all the clarification, guys. I'm pretty slow sometimes, but I think I've got it now ;)

I was indeed confused about the calling non-Softback phone issue, but I've got it down now. I think the Flat data + White plan should be fine for me.

One thing I like is that it appears that the iPhone 4 will be cheaper for me in Japan than if I got one in the States ... which was unexpected, but a VERY nice thing if true!

KB7

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
Misawa, Japan
Thanks for all the clarification, guys. I'm pretty slow sometimes, but I think I've got it now ;)

I was indeed confused about the calling non-Softback phone issue, but I've got it down now. I think the Flat data + White plan should be fine for me.

One thing I like is that it appears that the iPhone 4 will be cheaper for me in Japan than if I got one in the States ... which was unexpected, but a VERY nice thing if true!

yes and no, in the states you have to pay for unlimited data, plus as well, i believe the internet plan. then on top of that you have to pay for your txting package, all that adds up quick. Here in japan we dont have all that. there is no unlimited txting. you can txt softbank to softbank for free, but if you try want to "txt" someone with docomo or au, you have to "email" them with the email address that is linked to their phone..but youll get all that explained in better detail when you arrive here to misawa.

plasticparadox

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2003
I reserved my iPhone 4 32GB at 5:20 pm, 20 minutes after pre-orders started on the 15th. There was nobody else waiting in line for the iPhone (I live in a pretty rural town) so I'm pretty sure I was the first pre-order for this shop.

The girl at the SoftBank shop gave me one of those official A4 printouts that they give whenever you change something on your account, and there is a mention of the Black iPhone 4G 32GB on the bottom, but there was no mention of when or how to pick up my new iPhone. Has anyone else had the same experience? Should I expect a phone call?

DragonJade

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2009
The notification is sent out to customers whose data-usage charges are NOT part of the standard flat-rate plan,

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I did think it was a bit odd that they would text you to say that you'd hit 8.7Meg.

DragonJade

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2009
so i bought the original iphone last summer when I first got here to Japan, while they were giving them away for "free" i payed for the phone up front so i havent had to worry about the monthly fee's in my bill to pay for the headset. I was thinking of getting the iphone 4 and just doing the payment plan on it since i still have 2 more years here. My only thing is right now im paying between 50-60 dollars a month, i dont wanna make it upwards of 70-90 dollars. so im not sure what plan to go with now, as i currently just have the white plan, and unlimited data.

Wow, you're racking up quite a monthly phone bill. You must be calling a between 9pm and 1am, and to non Softbank phones. I hope you're on the Double White plan. Maybe you can reduce your phone bill by convincing other people to switch to Softbank. :)

If you're going to be spending another $20 a month for the new phone, over 2 years that'll be $480 - is that worth the price of the new phone to you?

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I reserved my iPhone 4 32GB at 5:20 pm, 20 minutes after pre-orders started on the 15th. There was nobody else waiting in line for the iPhone (I live in a pretty rural town) so I'm pretty sure I was the first pre-order for this shop.

The girl at the SoftBank shop gave me one of those official A4 printouts that they give whenever you change something on your account, and there is a mention of the Black iPhone 4G 32GB on the bottom, but there was no mention of when or how to pick up my new iPhone. Has anyone else had the same experience? Should I expect a phone call?

I had the same experience as you at my local Softbank here in Kagawa right down to the A4 printout. I was told they will call me when the phone arrives at their store. I'm sure your store will be calling you as well.

plasticparadox

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2003
I had the same experience as you at my local Softbank here in Kagawa right down to the A4 printout. I was told they will call me when the phone arrives at their store. I'm sure your store will be calling you as well.

Thank you, that's really helpful! Ehime here, by the way :p

askywalker

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2007
I am in a rural area (Niigata) - and was the 3rd person in the Softbank store - so I am also hoping to get my call. I will post here when I get it.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Just a followup. I hope you guys have better results than me. I got my call from Softbank this afternoon but it was bad news. I waited until the 17th to place my preorder and I was just informed that I won't be getting mine on the 24th. In typical Softbank fashion, the employee I spoke with told me he couldn't even give me a specific prediction on the estimated delivery but that I'm probably looking at the first week of July. I'm apparently 23rd or 24th on the list for that shop. Great! :mad:

Oh well, let me know how your experiences go and good luck!

butaro

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
Canada
I decided to pre-order from a non-Softbank dealer because a friend of mine works there and said that I would get a 1500yen iTunes card as a bonus...
little did I know it was a little better deal than that :p

I asked him to reserve it for me in advance (I went to the store on the 14th) and he took down all my info and said that he would do it as soon as they let him. Even though on their master list he said I was about the 10th person(some people came on the 13th or even earlier it seems lol), he called me yesterday to say that they already got 5 iPhones in and that I would be getting one.
I asked "how?? wasn't I around the 10th person or something?"
he just said "don't worry i sorted it out, just come on the 24th"

I'm so excited! lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.