iPhone 4 Launch Road trip and Drinking Alcohol...Advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMJustAGuy, Jun 16, 2010.

1. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Long story short... REALLY wanted the white iPhone - said I wouldn't get anything but... Well Apple is killing me... I live in Pensacola, FL and the nearest Apple store is 3.5 hours away in New Orleans, LA. I am going in hopes of a white launch and if not I am caving for the black...

My friends want to go but they want to drink in the car on the way there. I would never drink while I am driving but they want to... I am paranoid and wonder what would happen if say, I caught pulled over for speeding and the officer noticed the alcohol. They are all 21-23 but I'm only 20, however I will not be drinking anyway as previously stated. I know there is some type of "No open container Law" but... anyway...

So what would happen to ME if this situation occurred as far as the alcohol goes.

Thanks guys.

2. ekk20 macrumors member

3. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Do you think that if you're heading to the Apple Store while driving under the influence the law no longer applies? I don't get it.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAASTE L AND.

4. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

5. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Let's go back and actually READ what was posted, okay?

6. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Oh okay, your friends will be drinking.

Again, do you think if you're being pulled over while heading to the Apple Store the law no longer applies?

Let's NOT ASK STUPID HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS, okay? :):):):)

7. CJayC macrumors 6502

It's called Minor in Possession. Possession is 9/10s of the law.

8. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

9. s0vereignT macrumors member

You're right, there is an open container law. You're not allowed to have open alcohol in the car. The fact that you're driving makes you responsible for all the alcohol found in the car. And I'm sure the fact you're underage will only make it worse. Sounds like a really terrible idea to me.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I predict either A) JAIL or B) LOTS of tickets.

Dump you're friends and find some with better judgement. You'll get further in life.

11. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

lmao read, hes asking what would happen not whether or not the law would apply to him :rolleyes:

OP i would assume you would get a ticket for having open container and the officer would make you do a breathalyzer**sp?? and then the officer would have them dump it out and you would continue on your way.

12. Dan in PA macrumors regular

LMAO

If you get pulled over for that here, YOU will get an underage DUI. Open container is the fault of the driver..PLEASE, PLEASE do this. Have fun trying to get auto insurance afterwards.

13. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Trust me... I know.

Also, sorry for the Double Post... get the paddle... *bending over now* :(
    :D

This would excite you? Shows your character quality... and before you mention my post, I know this is not a good idea... hence me thinking about it ahead of time and being paranoid about it.

14. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

LULZLMFAO same thing. How is me mentioning the law not relevant? Cops = Law
    Law = Cops? Me not follow your "logic"?

15. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

THANK you. Not only for answering my question as well as defending me, but having a little class, and also your lack of internet ego. ;)

+1 Thanks for the research.

16. SexyBeast macrumors regular

I'm a cop and here's how the law works. First, any open container, even empty ones in a car are illegal while the vehicle is in operation. Second, as the driver of the car, you are responsible for anything found in the vehicle. For example, if a cop searched the vehicle and found drugs hidden underneath the back seat, you alone would be responsible. The same goes for alcohol in the vehicle. Third, as a minor, you don't need to be passed the legal limit to receive a DUI. ANY AMOUNT OF ALCOHOL will result in a DUI if you are a minor. Therefore, with your friends drinking, the officer has reasonable suspision that you at least took a sip, therefore you will get charged with a DUI. Probably not a good idea. I would make the trip with no alcohol if I were you.

17. s0vereignT macrumors member

Yes this sounds about right. I don't know for sure but my guess is that he would also get done for underage possession for being the driver. And that's more serious than an open container. Not 100% sure on this though.

18. Dan in PA macrumors regular

He absolutely would. The cop isn't going to say "lol just dump it out, no problem"

19. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

If he is not drinking and he blows .00 what is the problem? we already know he will get a ticket are you saying its more serious?

20. Dan in PA macrumors regular

Reread the post above from the police officer. It does not matter what he blows. Open containers = fault of the driver, period. Underage DUI.

Also, Estoril blue...Nice :D

21. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

It's still illegal. Most cops wouldn't go for that.

22. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Have you ever considered enrolling in the police academy? I mean, you're goooood.

23. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

I think you'll be fine as long as a) you're driving a limo, and b) all drinks stay in the back.

24. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

NOT saying what I'm about to tell you is okay, and @sexybeast I only quoted you because you said you were a cop and I thought you might find it interesting... but @Dan in PA you never know, lol. In my apartment, one night I had about 4 people over 2 guys/2 girls and we were being extremely loud I guess (not normal behavior for me because I usually have respect for people around me...ANYWAY) next thing I know there is a knock on the door. It was a guy with a white tshirt on, badge around his neck, gun on his hip and whatever that stick "thing" is that they carry around... He asked how old we all were and told us to get our ID's... He asked whose house it was and I said mine and told him that my ID was in the car but I am only 19... (I was at the time) he said "look, y'all can drink and have fun, but you NEED to be quiet... management is VERY particular here about noise and disturbances... you live in a nice gated community and should know what is too loud..blah blah etc." and told us to have a good night...

Yes, I got lucky, I know... My friends are going to be pissed when I say no, lol... but they'll understand.

Really, will that be okay, I can't tell if your being sarcastic or not, hah.

(Been) done.

25. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I'm guessing the problem is that most cops will want to leave an impression that sticks with this guy the rest of his life.