iPhone 4 OtterBox defender came...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ARH1956, Jul 26, 2010.

1. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

Anybody else get your iPhone 4 OtterBox today?

2. LoLife macrumors regular

No but I am ordering one this week when I get paid :D How is it?

3. dthmtlgod macrumors 6502

Got mine Friday. Love it.

4. ARH1956 thread starter macrumors 6502

The textured pattern molded into the rubber on the back and flat surfaces, compared to the 3GS case, give it a more upscale look to me. Where the 3GS case had two round holes molded in the plastic for the speaker & microphone the holes in the iPhone 4 case are oblong, exposing the entire speaker & microphone grills. The upper plug covering the output jack has a punched hole in the rubber over the top microphone allowing it to work unhindered as well. Round buttons are molded covering the volume buttons and are relieved around the edges making it easy to push them & change the volume. So far I'm impressed. Just as with the 3GS model you'll have a little "oil slick" design between the plastic cover & the screen. On my 3GS model I removed the plastic screen cover anyway, I didn't like the way it felt compared to the naked screen. On other cool feature, the molded plastic side snaps that hold the inner case together are located precisely in the center of the case so you can clip the phone into the holder face in or face and right-side up or upside-down and it snaps in equally firmly. This will allow you to rotate the belt clip to place the opening latch on top, bottom, to the left or to the right & still be able to snap the case in four different ways to orient it to suit you.

5. ARH1956 thread starter macrumors 6502

I can't improve on those on the Otterbox website. Once you get there the iPhone 4 Defender pictures are very good, but if you click on the link on that page for the "Specs" it will open huge pictures that clearly show exactly what I see holding mine in my hand.

6. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Did removing the film destroy the inside of the case? I've never seen one before, so that's why I ask. I was going to do the same thing as you but throw a SGP Oleophobic in it's place.

7. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

Found this review of the defender on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14LcUQFgWYg

The defender looks pretty solid. My gf definitely needs this level of protection (she shattered her 1st gen iphone), though to please her fashion side I'm probably going to wait and see what the commuter case will offer. In the meantime she has a rocketfish case, and we have two speck cases coming in the mail free, thanks to apple's generosity. So many cases!

Btw, I'm rocking a black bumper (refunded!), which fits perfectly with the invisible shield full protection. The invisible shield screen protector unfortunately did not fit with my gf's rocketfish case, which we bought out of desperation on day 1, so we had to cut it. It looks like crap now, but luckily I have an extra screen protector to install when her speck fitted case arrives.

8. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

9. ARH1956 thread starter macrumors 6502

I haven't tried it on the iPhone 4 case yet but it was simply glued to the plastic frame on the 3GS case and peeled off easily. This most likely will void the warranty on the case but otherwise does no damage.

10. ARH1956 thread starter macrumors 6502

I work in Industrial areas, Power Substations & such and require a hardy level of protection for my phone. I've been using a Speck Candyshell and was very impressed with it's level of protection until my Otterbox arrived.

11. ARH1956 thread starter macrumors 6502

The Youtube link in the post directly above yours has some decent shots in their presentation, and the www.otterbox.com has some excellent shots as well.

12. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

Yeah it's great that otterbox makes a case of such durability to allow people with more rugged jobs to still enjoy awesome tech like the new iPhone.

13. ARH1956 thread starter macrumors 6502

Update on Oil Slick...

As an update, after having the cover on for 12 hours the oil slick seems to have disappeared on the iPhone 4 case, hmm. Odd, but cool I'll report any changes after a week or so.

14. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

15. Jakkar macrumors newbie

There are numerous pics in the Defender case thread in the accessories forum.

A couple of mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I posted this on another forum.. does that case protect your phone from EMP's? :confused:

I could not believe how BEASTLY that thing is. Amazing. Lol.

17. huskerchad macrumors regular

Can anyone with two iPhone 4's do some side-by-sides to show just how bulky this case is? Barring that, could you just take a few shots with and without the case from the same angle to illustrate?

18. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

Do a search for the other defender thread, someone did a comparison on a case with his 3g.

19. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

You know I thought the same thing when I saw it. Now that I have it on my Iphone its actually smaller than what I had on my 3g. Fits nicely in my hands and my front pocket.

20. shuckandjive macrumors newbie

Last friday amazon had them for $20.00 each for about 2 hours. I was able to order 2 which won't ship until the end of Aug begining of Sept. Then they bumped up the price to $40.00 which is still $10.00 cheaper than Otterbox is selling them for.

21. atomicbatteries macrumors 6502

ugly ugly ugly!

what a hideous design!

so much for the eloquent design of the device!

22. james92se macrumors 6502a

OtterBox cases have got to be some of the most hideous phone cases I've ever seen. It has absolutely astounded me how OtterBox manages to sell ANY of their cases, let alone the fact that they're wildly popular.

With full knowledge of how haltingly disgusting the OtterBox 3G cases are (a couple weeks ago on a plane trip, I sat near a couple who each had their iPhones buried under some huge plastic monstrosities - later on I discovered they were OtterBox cases), I've got to say the iPhone 4 OtterBox case is something of a small miracle coming from the OtterBox design team.

But seriously - people who buy these cases - really? Is it that necessary?

Do you also send your children off into life coated in packing peanuts, wrapped with packing tape, and then covered in several layers of cardboard too? :p

23. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

Well we all can't work cushy white collar office jobs in the air conditioning. Is this case necessary? Absolutely. I happen to work a job where I am outside in the elements all day except for lunch. This is in Florida, in 90 degree humid soup where storms pop out of nowhere and dump rain. Add onto that tons of dust and mud and sand and clay. Yes it may be hard for people like you to grasp how a blue collar outside occupation works but this case is very necessary. Also unless your prepared to pony up 200 beans for everyone who needs their phone replaced due to damage, don't question the lengths that some feel necessary to go for protection.

24. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I agree with the comments on how bulky and unsightly it is, that's for sure. However, like someone posted above - there are people that need lots of protection because of their location, type of job, mobility or whatever the case may be. They want ease of use and simplicity of the iPhone but with that, they need something rugged as well. The case solves that problem.

I wouldn't use it with my lifestyle but like it was said, other lifestyles do exist that would require it. :)

To each their own.