Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone 4 owners that wanted to upgrade - any 2nd thoughts?

• I will still upgrade to the 4S as it has enough enhancements that I care about

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I have changed my mind and will now wait for a redesigned iPhone 5

Votes: 27 42.2%

• Total voters

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Have any of you changed your mind about upgrading after the release of the 4S and not a redesigned iPhone 5?

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
I've had a black iPhone 4 and now have a white iPhone 4. My mom wants my phone and I was really hoping the new iPhone was going to blow me out of the water so I could upgrade and give her mine. It didn't, but no biggie.

I'm going to try out a sgs2 for 30 days and see if I like it. If not, I'll go back and buy the iPhone 4s. To me, it's just a phone and if it does what I need it to, no reason to be throw a fit.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
The plan was for me to upgrade to the 4S and then give my wife my phone. I'm not eligible till 12/4 to upgrade so I may upgrade then, but I've found someone willing to sell me him iPhone 4 for $150 next Friday for my wife. Time will tell in December on rather or not I upgrade. I wasn't really impressed with the 4S.

Atarikid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Don't need a faster cpu and better camera. I need a bigger screen.

So iPhone4 is still good enough. Period.

naesy1

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
iPhone 4 = between 280 and 350 on ebay instant sale
iPhone 4s = practically free

eric.john

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
i know i will regret upgrading now knowing that the iphone 5 will be due out soon.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
From the looks if it I think Apple has intentionally designed their model into 2 year cycle upgrades. People in the S cycle are eligible for upgrade and the 4S is a huge upgrade from the 3GS.

Those with the 4 are on that cycle and will be eligible for upgrade when the 5 comes out and the 5 I'm assuming will be a huge upgrade from the 4. The iPhone 4 was a jaw dropper and I'm sure the 5 will be too.

The iPhone is not designed to be upgraded every year.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
im sure most of the iPhone 4 owners arent due for a full upgrade yet

I had planned to pay the early upgrade price of $400 if it was an iPhone 5, so it looks like I will be sticking with my iPhone 4

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
The new camera and Siri sold me. I am constantly taking family video and photos and that camera seems like a nice upgrade (this is the I need part). Siri is nice and I want to try it out (this is the I want part).

Overall, if I can sell my iPhone I will.

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
The new camera and Siri sold me. I am constantly taking family video and photos and that camera seems like a nice upgrade (this is the I need part). Siri is nice and I want to try it out (this is the I want part).

Overall, if I can sell my iPhone I will.

I feel the same. The camera is a huge selling point for me, as I rarely carry around a P&S anymore, and this really seems like a great camera upgrade. Plus Siri actually looks pretty useful, while the older implementation of voice control was kind of lacking.

netrob

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
Upgrading to 4S

I have been a Iphone user since it was released. I feel the only reason for the release of the 4S and not the 5 is because most ppl have multiple have a family plan (like me) and that their lines are not upgraded on the same date allowing Apple to bring out an S model and letting the family make multiple upgrades through out a one year period. I think Apple will release the 5 in less than a year from and causing those family plans to juggle between both models and bank accounts.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I am not sure. My wife and I got the iPhone 4 on launch day, and it is saying she is eligible for an upgrade but I am not. Any idea why?

If you're on a Family plan the primary line is subject to the 12-18 month upgrade window where the secondary line gets the shaft..

Prelude2elude

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
Like stated before, I can sell the phone for the most $350 or best buy will give $267 in giftcards. I upgraded to the iPhone 4 in June 2010 and when I checked for an upgrade att said because I was a valued customer they would only charge me $18 for an upgrade fee.

NJFP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
My 4 is only a few months old. I need to see some HUGE change in hardware before I'd upgrade. The iOS 5 does have me excited though.........

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Gonna wait until my AT&T $250 fee disappears (11.18.2011) and then I'll buy.

I'm in the same boat. Except my date is a month later.

Honestly I just want the 64 GB. I can FINALLY store my entire music collection on my iPhone. :D

When you consider the money you can make from reselling your iPhone on Craigslist, it's not that much money to upgrade (if you want the 64 GB model that is). You just have to extend your contract 2 yrs, which is fine by me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.