IPhone 4 recall!?!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by almasinfe, Jul 13, 2010.

1. almasinfe macrumors member

almasinfe

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

How many iPhones have Apple sold? They have said they think its a software issue. Before they start an expensive recall procedure they will explore all other avenues.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Many tech blogs and even consumer reports have refuted the assessment that is a software issue. I don't think anyone believes apple when they stated it was a software issue related to showing how many bars, especially when it was documented that the signal strength decreased when doing the kung-fu death grip.

4. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

They can refute it all they want. I can refute that water is wet on a blog if I want. Doesn't make it right.

I don't know for sure which side is right. But Apple is readying a software patch to attempt to fix it, shouldn't we see if it does or not before we declare that it can't be fixed that way?

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Hard to say what Apple will do but everyone seems to agree that insulating the connection solves the problem, so...$500,000,000 recall or just give out free 99¢ bumpers.

6. klrobinson999 macrumors 6502

I see the mainstream media is now calling it the iFlaw, so Apple had better get a response out there and stop dicing around.

Free bumpers, whether you have the problem or not, would be cheaper than a full recall.

7. fluffer macrumors member

... software issue, signal bar algoryhthm..... really.
    :D

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well they only have limited resources and they've been busy censoring their discussion forums of any references to consumer reports :rolleyes:

9. bier-meister macrumors regular

Free bumpers is not a solution. I don't want a bumper on my phone and I shouldn't be forced to put one on it, whether it's free or not, so that I can make a call.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes but without proof your refute of water not being wet is false - you need to back that up with evidence. Where by the tests done ARE illustrating that is a mechanical/design flaw. Not a flaw in a program the determines how many bars are going to be displayed.

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Then you would still have 2 other choices: Use it without or return it. ;)

12. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

He shouldn't have to return it !! Apple needs to fix this bs !!

13. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Which they say they are going to do with a software update. Before we all start making wild accusations about recalls etc lets see if the update works. Apple will not do a recall unless its a last resort.

14. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

No, tests are done illustrating that the signal degrades and the bars go down. There isn't anything done anywhere that proves this cannot be changed by a software fix.

15. EDF macrumors member

As long as this thing is selling I doubt there will be a recall, I'm guessing a class action and we get some form of reimbursement. I'm not asking for anything. It's still better than a lot of devices on the market.

16. kultschar macrumors 6502a

I agree we should wait for this fix however software is unlikely going to fix a physical flaw which results in dropped calls.

Cmon Apple release this update ASAP though I don't believe it will be soon as they also promised an update for the iPad wifi probs several months ago. I guess when your iPad and iPhones are selling too fast to keep up with demand then who cares about these flaws, the money is rolling in!,:)

17. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

I'm sorry but I feel that you are just totally and completely wrong.

Apple don't "need" to fix it.
    iPhones are not some sort of legal right.
    You don't have to like it.
    You don't have to use it.
    You don't have to own one.
    If it doesn't work how you would like it to, then don't buy it.
    It's not that difficult.

$0.02

18. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

How do we know its a physical flaw with the phone that is causing the drops in calls? I admit that it seems that way, but without an official announcement we shouldn't make presumptions.

If it is indeed a fault in the design then Apple would be expected to do something about it.

SJ = God

19. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

In my scenario (which may or may not be Apple's) he still has two other choices. So it's very simple. You chose which is best for you and move on.

20. hypoh macrumors member

hypoh

I can't see a recall happening. At most, free bumpers or something else free. I think Apple will stand by their previous statements in saying that you are more than welcome to return your phone for a refund.

21. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

Do u think that this is a reason for the delay of the White iPhone 4? They are blaming a "manufacture problem" for the delay of the white iPhone but trying resolve the issue with the antena and trying the software fix before releasing the White iPhone 4? Just a thought?

22. MrPaulRicard macrumors newbie

You might be right. More and more industry experts are saying a recall is a must. APPL down this morning.

23. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

some people want this phone and want there phone to be right! This is my fourth one and I want this one to be right also... If I'm on my fourth BMW ,I want it to to be like my last 3... At this point I'm on my fourth because I like what I have bought in the past... I'm waiting just like everyone else to see if they can fix it.. Another reason why I haven't returned it

24. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Because people other than Apple have done testing and determined it's a hardware flaw. Apple's "fix" is for something completely different AND the "super ultra mega kung fu grip of ultimate death" crap is, AGAIN, something entirely different, the one thing that Apple actually got right when they proclaimed that it happens to most phones to some degree or another. That you can take a car key, little finger, wire, a ring or anyting conductive, bridge the gap in the band and kill your phone is something unique to the iPhone, something they have yet to even address. That's two actual problems and one Apple made up for some inexplicable reason for those keeping score. The fun part is how Apple says the iPhone 4 is being too generous with the displayed bars even those it shows one on my phone yet gets better reception than previous iPhones that show 2-4. I can't wait to hear whatever Apple is supposed to make sound like plausible truth today! Even BP managed to man up and admit it really screwed up in the gulf, let's see if Apple is more or less of a liar than "big oil". Who's up for a bet? :D

25. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

Thank you. Good lord. It isn't a god-given right to use an iPhone. Return it and get a different phone. The end.