Iphone 4 reception problems? Get your phone replaced before Apple gets flooded

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ferris23, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

On the phone with Tier 2 support after going over, in great detail, the problem I and most of us are having with not being able to handle our phones without losing connection. Spoke to a level 1 tech who once heard my problem in detail, forwarded me to tier 2 supervisor who is handling the return.

They are in the process of setting up an overnight replacement and are looking into the issue.

EVERYONE who has this problem should be on phone with Apple about this.

Don't just bitch on here, bitch to Apple. They are very interested in this and willing to listen, so CALL!

Not sure a replacement will fix it, but the more they have to send out, the more they will want to remedy the problem.

2. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

3. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

lol inorite?

I'm using my POS Droid Eris to make this call. ;)

Actually with my bumper I could have called, but I wanted to add insult to injury by calling with my Verizon phone. j/k

4. johnnyfiive macrumors 6502

johnnyfiive

Chances are, the replacement you receive will have the same issue. I'm going to wait and see what Apple has to publicly say about the issue and then I'll take some action. Obviously that first million + batch is going to have the reception issue.

5. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

Quite possible, but as long as they are willing to send phones, I'm willing to go through the motions.

Right now it's about making them aware of the scope, that is if they aren't already.

The phone will be here tomorrow morning.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I question your use of the word “most” in your OP. I’m not saying it couldn’t be most, but you have no data to support that other than complainers on this forum and some websites (one which is not an Apple friend).

7. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Obviously the first million will??? 'Cuz mine doesn't suffer from this issues, I tried everyway on the net to make it happen too, and it didn't. Remember, most folks phone are fine, the vocal minority who's aren't make the most noise.

8. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

The amount of complaints on here and other websites and the fact that ALL 10 display models at my local Apple store have the issue, I'd say most. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Also the "geniuses" at my local Apple Store (Carousel Syracuse) were aware of it tells me it's not an isolated issue.

My wording may be too inclusive, but there is no doubt that this is more than just a few affected Iphones. I'm also not buying it being a software bug, at least not 100%.

Maybe it's a build issue where some aren't shielded properly? No clue, but I have the issue and I would like it fixed sooner than later. Bitching about it on here won't help as much as taking it to the source.

Also the people I am on the phone with are aware of it so...

9. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Lick your left hand (sweat) and hold the phone in your left hand. Any issues?

10. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I have to agree. Seems to be a very widespread issue.

I think you're in the minority here. Be thankful. :)

11. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

You're not! Check out Engadget and Gizmodo...the issue is conductivity between the two antennas in the lower left section of the phone. (most cases). Your hand can act as a coupler if it's sweaty. If you use the bumper, it should help with that issue. (again, in most cases)

12. LoganT macrumors 68020

I'd rather wait a couple weeks to a month to see what happens.

13. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

knee jerk reaction.

My volume on this phone is better than ever, and I know that can vary... so I'm holding out for a bumper and a sw update. After all, I have 30 days to ponder this and see what Apple's official response is. Haven't dropped a single call yet.

(edit: 30 days to return, 365 days to get a replacement)

14. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

Totally understandable, again, this is about making Apple aware and putting pressure on them to do something, but also about trying another phone to see if it's any better.

I do have a bumper, I love the bumper, but I don't want my phone to be REQUIRED to use the bumper.

15. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Ditto

16. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

Lucky you. Without my bumper I could not keep a call. Knee jerk? See my above points.

17. HXGuy macrumors 68000

How about getting getting a replacement now and then seeing what happens?
    That's my plan. I need a working phone for the next 2-4 weeks so I can't wait.

18. mb2008 macrumors regular

I have ATT, so I can't replicate the issue. I normally go from 2 bars to nothing while calling. You guys should consider this a feature - I certainly don't have anyone I want to talk to, I'm too busy playing with my phone.

19. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

I'd also like to add I totally understand those wanting to wait. I'm not saying you have to do this.

:)

20. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Ditto and $$$$$$....:D

21. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

I went to the Apple store today with my iP4 I got from AT&T last night with the intent to replace it with my reserved iP4...

That is until I went around to the display units and on EVERY SINGLE ONE I was able to replicate the issue immediately....I walked out with my head down. You win, Steve. Thanks for the Koolaid. :(

22. drfullet87 macrumors newbie

at least you have phones

there are some of us out here that ordered before 7 am PDT on the 15th, who because of an Apple f-up installing and programming SIM cards (which they conceded is in my case not relevant since I could have just swapped my cards) now have a delivery dated of TBD! They say they just couldn't bear to let a phone leave their facility without it passing their stringent quality checks.

but i guess that begs the question, would you rather have a phone that completely works in about a month? or do you enjoy having your phone right now as opposed to the state of limbo I (and apparently a few others) are in right now.

23. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I totally agree with you and I see what you're trying to do.

But, I'm a slacker and it honestly so far doesn't really affect me too badly so I'll probably leave it alone (and I agree with you the phone should be able to work without a bumper. I think people saying get a bumper should be expecting more out of a 700 dollar phone).

In the end what it boils down to me is if it is a problem that will actually really affect my use of the phone. And I find as long as I hold the phone loosely it seems to be ok. Oh yeah and my mom and her friend replicated the issue and I replicated it on my roommate's phone. In my experience, it was pretty hard to replicate. But my hands are not too clammy right now. And I never got it to drop call, just reduce signal.

24. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMgSGp-ns3c

That is my video replicating the problem.

Yes I know I am breathing heavy, and that I say "as you can see" too much, and that I should have disabled the lock out. Oh and sorry about some slight bad language. Also intitally my left hand was REALLY gripping the phone, but all it really takes is 2 fingers to kill reception.

Tough crowd on the YouTubes..

;)