Resolved iPhone 4 reception problems

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i4Collin, Jul 19, 2011.

1. i4Collin, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

i4Collin macrumors regular

My iPhone 4 has started losing reception a lot, drops a lot of calls, and it always fails to send messages. I think something is wrong with the phone's antenna. The warranty is expired, and I don't know if it's the network (AT&T) or the antenna.....and NO I'm not holding it "the wrong way" LOL

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, all the millions of AT&T subscribers are not satisfied and they all have the same bad experience as yours.:rolleyes:
    You serious now?
    If the reception at your local area sucks switch to a carrier that works better. Its very simple.

3. i4Collin thread starter macrumors regular

I would but I don't want to pay the cancellation fees on 4 iPhones, plus the cost of buying four new iPhones on Verizon :/

4. ShivneelSingh macrumors member

AT&T Got Better but Then Worse

When I first bought my iPhone 3G back in September 2008, I was soooooo surprised that AT&T dropped so many calls! I thought it was my phone so I tried to get it exchanged but that didn't help. (I switched from Sprint, which had great service).
    Then the service started getting better, less dropped calls and data was faster around August 2009.
    I remember Steve Jobs saying the service was supposed to get better by September 2010, but it got even WORSE!!
    Ever since then, the service seems to be getting more and more worse; I can't stand it anymore. Maybe I'll have to make the switch to Verizon even though I won't have unlimited data and no data while talking...

5. i4Collin thread starter macrumors regular

Think on the bright side... on Verizon you'll actually be able to use that data

6. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I can't say it's gotton worse in my location... or I haven't noticed. I have the same issue with Verizon phone coverage in neighborhood, and that's the main reason why we use AT&T. Verizon phone coverage in our area is 1 bar to no service... and kills our batteries looking for a phone signal. However, Verizon data is very good in our area. I'm still a Verizon customer for data only... and on the subject of road trips... when we go to Las Vegas, most of the time I have Verizon 3G... and sometimes 4G LTE depending on location... while AT&T data is usually on the edge network. For me... AT&T phone coverage great in SoCal for me... but my Verizon data is more dependable... especially when I travel.

7. chr macrumors regular

I switched; sold my AT&T phone for the price of the ETF and a Verizon iPhone, and now I can actually use it.

8. bob616 macrumors 6502

I great service where I live. And in fact AT&T does deserve the iPhone. They deserve it because they were the ones willing to take the risk on it. Apple originally went to Verizon with the iPhone; however Verizon would not agree on the terms that apple was asking for. So Apple went to the next carrier, Cingular (Now AT&T) and because AT&T said ok to the original iPhone, the iPhone is what it is today. So yes AT&T signal can be subpar at times, but if it is not good in your area them switch to another carrier, no one is stopping you. I personally have good AT&T service were I live and I've seen it get better over the last couple of months.

9. ShivneelSingh macrumors member

Yeah I also live in SoCal. It's great here in Orange County and whenever we go to San Diego, it gets better service. But I always hang out with my friends at Riverside and Rancho Cucamonga where it SUCKS! Forget about dropped calls, there's NO reception at Victoria Gardens.
    It especially sucks when I'm streaming music in my car because it cuts out.

10. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

I always have 5 bars at my house and 3 bars around school. However, inside the school I have 1-2 bars and always on Edge, but I think it's because the school installed these things in the ceilings to block out cell signal to reduce texting :D

I'm fine with the bars in my area and when I go out. However, I do get alot of dropped calls which pisses the **** out of me :mad: W/e though. I don't want to give up my unlimited data and 5k rollover minutes so I'll stick with AT&T :D

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Wait, AT&T sucks for everyone because it doesn't work for you?
    That's like saying a phillips screw driver sucks because you can't unscrew a flathead :confused:

I suggest you switch to Verizon - they have the iPhone too.

12. kvaughan macrumors member

AT&T is great here. They might not have had 3G here in nearly the time Verizon did but the service is more reliable and data speeds are faster.

13. ap3604, Jul 19, 2011

ap3604 macrumors 68000

Not sure what your actually expecting ATT users to say.

"Yeah ATT sucks for me too"

or

"ATT is great for me"

I guess the main thing to be said would be...

Attached Files:

14. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

OP, you may want to do your research before making blanket statements. Maybe AT&T sucks in your area, but the US is a massive country and coverage is affected by many things. Others still report having great service. You do not speak for everyone.

15. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Yes I am.

(I am currently indoors, but this is generally what I get around town)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Just not while on voice calls.

I've had both over the years. Coverage varies. Where you live and roam, get Verizon. But don't think your experience is universal.

17. pyro008 macrumors 6502

SO then quit crying about something you can easily change and keep paying out the nose for a crappy service.

18. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

I probably would switch.. but I want unlimited data... And I would lose that if I switched back to Verizon. I'm 100% satisfied with my AT&T speeds.. because I'm not downloading a whole lot.. but when I have friends that get screaming speeds on their verizon phones.. it makes me jealous.

19. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Where I live (Pittsburgh) all I can think of is, "Dear God, I have five bars. Now download this d*mn song in less than 9999 minutes."

20. megapopular, Jul 20, 2011

megapopular macrumors 6502a

Hmm, I think you like AT&T!

You could easily sell those iPhone 4's on eBay for like $1600... Not sure how much money you'd have to spend on cancellation fees and buying new iPhones on Verizon but I don't think you'd have to shell out much at all out of pocket. I think you WANT to stay with AT&T!

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm happy with AT&T. Coverage, quality and support for my area has been top notch. No complaints.

I've been on vzw as well and while coverage has been very good (the same ass ATT in my area), I found they are more apt to nickel and dime you on features.

To the OP, if you're unhappy with AT&T, move on and go to Verizon.

Your experience is not indicative of everyone's.

22. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

American carriers seem to be worse than European ones. I rarely have less than 4 bars of service with Vodafone, much less those crazy data and phone plans.

23. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I left Sprint to come to AT&T for the original iPhone. I've stayed with AT&T for every iPhone since and I'm staying with AT&T until Apple makes no more iPhones.

Been very happy here.

24. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

AT&T works great where I live. I've been with AT&T for over 10 years and before that I was with Verizon. Both have their flaws, if service has gotten worse overtime, I suggest you call AT&T CS and see if they
    can help you out. Maybe you can score a MicroCell.

25. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

I get great reception here in Miami, tmobile has bad reception in this area, at&t and Verizon on the contrary are best. I love my at&t service in my area I can not be more satisfied.