iPhone 4 replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brimoody, Dec 31, 2011.

1. brimoody macrumors newbie

Hello,

My music app that comes with the iPhone isnt working properly. I did a factory restore with no luck. Spoke with Verizon and they wanted to replace my phone. I told them no because I wouldn't be home to sign for it. I have an appointment at the apple store today for them to look at it. If they replace it do I get a phone while I am in the store and will this phone be new or refurbished? Any chance they would give me a 4s instead of my 4? :). I know that's a stretch! Thanks!

Brian

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Most likely will be a refurbished version, but it will look like brand new. And no, it is extremely unlikely they will give you a new model. Sometimes they even have stock replacements for the First gen iPhone which is 5 years old!

3. brimoody thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow! I'm impressed if they keep those in stock! I did see they are only selling 8gb iPhone 4's. I have a 16gb so I would assume it probably won't be brand new. Where do the refurbished phones come from? Thanks for the response.

Brian

4. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

They are not refurbished...Remanufactered. Everything you see on the outside is new. Just maybe the A4 processor was reused in making it etc.

5. brimoody thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool! I never knew that! Thanks!

6. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68030

ET iPhone Home

Refurbished phones come from people whom have returned their iPhones due to issues. The iP4 you currently own and will be exchanging will soon be classified as a refurbished phone and someone will be the proud owner of it.

7. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Actually the chassis isn't new. My chassis is damaged by one of the antenna breaks. A bit annoyed I didn't spot it when I had it swapped but ho hum.

As well to check your's before accepting it.

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Not a doubt they will have a refurb for you. There are tons of iPhone 4 units out there. You will not be able to tell it from new.

You are right a 4S is a stretch. They would have to have zero 4 units and that is not going to happen.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

When you turn in your iPhone 4, it will be sent to Apple where they will fix any underlying issues, make it look brand new (basically replace the whole exterior + battery), and send it to another store as a warranty device. That's how they come. And speaking out of experience, they have many in stock, even of older versions. I think it would be hard to find a replacement 1st gen device at any of the stores, but trust me, they're there.

FYI ... my iPod nano and iPhone 3GS were both refurbished and they looked like brand new! You can't tell at all.

10. /user/me macrumors 6502

In addition to that, OP might have to pay an additional fee for the 4s.

11. brimoody thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

What would apple charge me to "upgrade" since I will need a replacement anyway?

12. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Don't give the OP and other posters false hope. This won't happen.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

+1

Better chance of pigs flying. Even if they are out, I don't believe they HAVE to give you a replacement then and their. They could easily send it out and have a replacement shipped to them/you.

----------

They won't. This isn't going to be an option, guaranteed.

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

Apple will replace same model, same color, same size. They don't have exceptions. So unless you have a upgrade and then sell your replacement. Your getting the i4. Also the 4s is still in short supply.

15. lamboman macrumors 6502

They will not replace your 4 with a 4S, full stop. Just an exact replacement of what you have.

As for the problem you are having, have you done a completely clean install? This is a very strange problem...but hey, if they can fix it or it gets replaced, no harm done!

16. /user/me macrumors 6502

I wasn't trying to give them false hope, merely stating that in the extremely unlikely chance that they didn't have a 4, they wouldn't just upgrade OP's phone for free..

17. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

It's literally not possible. If they don't have it in stock, they would order one for him and he would have it the next day.

18. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

If Verizon are going to replace with a brand new unit I'd make every effort to do that. Regardless of people saying they're good as new my replacement 3G had to be replaced again (twice), my 4 replaced once again. So far the replacement 4S seems to be fine so I only got a proper functioning replacement 25% of the time. Maybe I'm just unlucky....

19. Edge1978 macrumors 6502

I would be EXTREMELY hesitant about having Verizon replace it for you. My Aunt's iPhone 4 kept getting a pop up saying that the accessory wasn't compatible with her device yet there was nothing plugged into it. When she told me that Verizon would replace it, I found it odd but seeing I have AT&T I don't know what Verizon's protocol is. I know with AT&T after 30 days you are instructed to take it Apple.

She received the replacement and I went to her house to set up the new device. There was NOTHING wrong with her old device only getting the pop up. a few weeks later she received her bill with $300 added on. They claimed her iPhone 4 was in worse shape than what was reported. Dents on the iPhone, water damage. I couldn't believe it as I had fully checked the iPhone before she shipped it. Needless to say after multiple talks with Supervisors and Managers they agreed to drop the fee, but she will no longer return her iPhone to Verizon, she will go to the Apple store from now on because of that situation.

20. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I would go with apple.

I believe Verizon uses Asurion for their reman./refurb phones which is NOT the same as an apple refurb replacement. I could be wrong -- perhaps they're sourced from the same "refub" company (if apple does that in-house or whatever).

I just know that I had a friend who had a samsung android phone. She ended up swapping the replacement/refurbs so many times they upgraded her to a samsung droid charge (4g). She's already had that one replaced once too... she's getting an iPhone ASAP so that she can work with Apple directly if/when something happens.

I got a refurb phone from verizon for a software issue. While I was waiting for my replacement I took it upon myself to Download odin and the stock flash and reflashed my phone myself. Problem solved. Got the refurb and while it looked good cosmetically, the volume was WAY lower than my existing handset. I sent the refurb back.

Got an applecare with the iPhone. Had Verizon do my first swap for a faulty phone since they vowed to replace with a brand-new, in box (which they did). Quickly dropped my $10/mo. insurance with Verizon and plan to work with Apple should I need to in the future. From my brief interaction with Apple customer service, I can say that I'm impressed thusfar.

21. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

To be fair a family member went through about 4 iPhones and when she found out her 4th one had dust behind the backplate of the White iPhone 4(32Gb) she called them up. The Applecare advisor put her through to a supervisor and he sent her an iPhone 4S in the mail. They even upgraded it to the 64Gb model. She then had 30 days to back the iPhone 4.

22. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ Apple can do whatever they want when it comes to a replacement iPhone 4; even if you want to upgrade to an iPhone 4S 64GB...:eek:

23. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

They won't be giving you a 4S as a replacement for your 4.

24. Applejuiced, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They will not give you that option.
    There is no refurb upgrade replacement fee.
    You will receive the same model, storage and color you have now.
    Its their policy. I dont get why people think they are entitled to a newer replacement instead?

25. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

This. I went for a replacement for my 3GS and the genius accidentally opened a 4 box. Even though he opened it, he did not give me the 4. He went in the back and returned with another 3GS.

I have had my 3GS when the 4 (and then later, the 4S) were newer models. All of the 3 or 4 times that I had my 3GS replaced, the genius gave me an model identical to my iPhone. OP: You WILL be getting an iPhone identical to yours. Don't get your hopes up.