iPhone 4 - Requested Features?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ipedro, Jun 19, 2009.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

It may seem a little early to consider this since the new iPhone only today hits the shelves, but I don't think I'm alone in considering this is an intermediate upgrade.

iPhone 3GS is to iPhone 3G what Snow Leopard is to Leopard: an improvement under the hood but mostly the same phone.

I think Apple has something more substantial in the works such as the long rumored front facing camera and a new body.

I think the 3GS is a great evolution, but 3.0 takes the credit for delivering most of the improvements.

I'm quite surprised that they didn't upgrade the wireless to "N", forcing many users to maintain a dual network (or buy the new Time Capsule/Airport) in order to take full advantage of N speeds.

What features do you expect to see in the next version of the iPhone?

I'll start off by requesting:

- iChat / front facing camera
    - new body: return to aluminum, consistency with unibody Mac's
    - Wireless N (with speeds allowing wireless sync while on the network)
    - OLED display
    - physical feedback when typing/tapping
    - inductive power (contactless)

None of this is much to ask and is available in other shipping phones (like the Palm Pre and the BB Storm). If Apple wants to stay ahead of the curve, they could be the first phone (but soon not the only) to ship with a micro projector.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Waaaaay to early. In fact, too early that I consider this thread spam. C'mon, the 3GS hasn't even been released. I thought these threads were gonna stop for a while....

3. tjhilder macrumors regular

tjhilder

a 5mp or 6mp camera
    a silver backed version
    a camera button (touching the screen to take a picture gets pretty tricky IMO)

maybe a 64GB edition :D

or maybe even different colours to match the iPod Nano series ?

4. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

iCal To-Do list sync

To be able to customize new text message sound

5. zeeflyboy macrumors regular

6. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

I agree. While the 3GS did improve the battery by a claimed 25%, the upcoming DualCore chips that are certain to be in the next iPhone are promising excellent power savings.

7. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Live TV (DMB or DVB)

But, it's not up to Apple or AT&T. US is so behind compared to Asia and Europe.

8. The Phazer macrumors 68030

OLED (provided they can boost performance in strong light).
    Better battery.
    Higher fidelity compass.
    FM tuner.
    Front facing camera.
    Redesigned case with a flat back, ideally Aluminum.
    Camera flash and better lens assembly.
    Dedicated camera button.
    Indicator LED.
    512MB RAM.
    Wireless N

All stuff the 3GS should have had IMO.

Phazer

9. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

It depends: those of us speculating about the iPhone 4 could either be too early (from your perspective) or we could be speculating late in the game (from our perspective) because certain features didn't arrive in the 3GS.

My perspective tells me that iPhone 3GS was an intermediate update and that the big kahuna is still yet to hit.

Personally, I'm very happy with the 3G and the updates that I got with iPhone OS 3.0 that will keep it fresh until the next one arrives.

I'll go as far as to speculate that sometime in Q1, traditionally MacWorld's domain for a flurry of releases (which no longer are fixed to an early January date) is when Apple will release a duo of iPhones. A major release of the iPhone and the much rumored tablet, running iPhone OS (with modifications for multi tasking and accompanying multi windows within the screen).

10. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

There you go, Phazer sits in the perspective that we're speculating late, not early. The iPhone3GS was an intermediate release. "Our iPhone" still hasn't been announced.

11. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Apple CAN make everything in it. But, the price must go way up as well.

12. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

Ability to point/focus the back side of my phone above my lunch and,
    white pushing two child-proof buttons, it emits microwaves onto my lunch to heat it. :D
    (it could double as a lighter by heating objects)

13. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

Anyway: off to sleep. I don't know what I'm doing awake @ 5AM. Damn you MacRumors! Damn you!!! :p

Can't wait to see all the ideas that will come out of this thread by the morning.

G'nite MacRumorland!
    [​IMG]

14. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

a 1tb version
    32gigs of ram
    a 3.0ghz processor
    a phone that isnt a brick
    endless battery life
    titanium casing
    hey it could happen :cool:

15. Johnathan macrumors member

My 4th rev iPhone wish.....

when you push "hang up," it hangs up the phone without thinking about hanging up the phone first.

-j

16. Davide82 macrumors member

I bet micro projecter will never happen in an iphone for at least 4 years. You can quote me on that.

What I dooo think the next iphone may do is act as a video game console and virtual controller all in one. As in future televisions will be bluetooth capable(or adapter) and the iphone will stream all the visual video game information to the televison and then on the iphone itself will be a whole bunch of virtual buttons and settings display and then you just use the iphone as a controller while you look at the visuals on your television.

17. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

1: Unibody Design
    2: Better Screen
    3: Camera w/Flash
    4: Indicator light for missed calls or messages
    5: Internal Stereo Speakers(the BB Bold's kills iPhone in terms of sound quality)

And most importantly, a revised interface. The current interface is starting to look tired and needs needs a more unified look.

18. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

All I know is that I want the next iPhone to look like this. :D

Attached Files:

19. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

20. Cousin Dirk macrumors 6502a

It does worry me a little the people who are requesting an aluminium backing, since the metal case hampers signal strength... :rolleyes:

21. Davide82 macrumors member

metal case isnt as important as i once thought. I mean who doesnt put a plastic or silicone case over there iphone anyway. There are even some nice tight fitting aluminum cases out there and most likely more to come.

22. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

The next iPhone will lack all the features we want right now, but will have one or two new features that Apple will convince us to want before release.

I never asked for a compass or even a better camera, but here I am buying the 3GS.

23. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

iPhone 3,1

My prediction for yet another iPhone to hit the market soon is actually collecting corroborative evidence.

The current iPhone 3GS is identified as iPhone2,1 in the OS 3.0 code. There is a reference to an iPhone 3,1 in the code and no device has yet been released with that code.

The 4th generation iPhone would have a considerably different internal architecture and likely a different external appearance.

The iPhone 3GS with its same case and improved performance is just a bump in specs, an intermediate update. I fully expect another iPhone to be announced long before the regular annual schedule. Perhaps we'll see one in time for Christmas or around the January time frame which was historically a launching pad for many announcements because of MacWorld.

It makes the most sense that we'll see something announced with the the new iPod Touch in September/October.

24. AppleMark macrumors 6502a

AppleMark

That is what I was thinking when the Macbook Pro replaced my Powerbook...........

I am still waiting for the radical new case design :)

25. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Hell yea that looks awesome!! :eek: