iPhone 4 results... Dissappointment

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by prvt.donut, Jun 7, 2010.

1. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

Wow! video calling, only had that for the last 10 years here in Japan and it was never really popular because the companies charge a lot for the calls, probably why Apple are saying wifi only as they are negotiating a good deal with the telcos.

I have to see how well the hi res screen can display content, but I am disappointed, we knew everything about this phone before they announced it, was the Steve Jobs key note full of bored "seen it" faces?

I will still most likely buy it as my 3G is 2 years old and I am somewhat tied into them what with all the apps I have bought.

2. bundu macrumors member

No, it's Apple. Even though other platforms have these features, Apple is still the first. This is REVOLUTIONARY.

lulz.

3. cowsrus macrumors 6502

please explain what you wanted them to give you
    they upgraded more hardware than ever before, it's more than anybody would have really guessed if not for the leaking of the phone

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I was excited when it first came out here.

My Japanese friends showed me a demo. Cool. Then I asked about the cost. If memory serves it was around $1.50 per minute -- each party had to pay. So a 10 minute call was about $15 for each. We all agreed that it was too expensive, yet at the same time would be a nice way to see family when traveling.

5. bundu macrumors member

It's the morons on this board that put Apple on a pedestal, where if they crawled out of Steve Jobs' sack, they would be amazed by the existing technology already out there.

6. L3MON macrumors member

gtfo, this phone is gorgeous, brilliantly designed, and video calling is very new for us here in the US.....I'm so excited to get my hands on it! Apple did a fantastic job imo, regardless of the fact it is not 4g capable :apple:

7. bundu macrumors member

New for us in the US?

Like i said, crawl out...

8. prvt.donut thread starter macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

Exactly my point sushi, I was the same way when it was first introduced. I have used the video calling a few times, but I prefer to email friends anyway, plus it costs so much.

Of course there are limitations to current hardware technology, I was wanting a bigger screen, i will have to see how it can handle my pdf books with it's high res 3.5" screen

9. cowsrus macrumors 6502

i know you think you said something substantial there by referring to me as an apple fanboy because this phone is a pretty large upgrade than previous versions, but you didnt

so, I ask again, by all this technology I dont really know about according to you, please tell me what you would put in this phone, keeping it relatively the same size, that would make it so much more amazing, all-knowing technology wizard

10. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Ahuh, video calling existed in Europe for a long, long time, and much flexible and powerful than what Apple is offering too, it's just a gimmick.

11. itsjared macrumors regular

itsjared

I could really use a bottle opener. :)

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

[​IMG]

13. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

What did you expect? Them to change all the stuff we found out to surprise us at WWDC? Some of you guys are just illogical.

14. cowsrus macrumors 6502

they arent happy with a 960x640 display, 5mp camera, flash, front facing camera (anyone know the mp on this one?), new reinforced design, a4 processor, larger battery, improved accelerometer, and more because not every single feature is brand new and revolutionary, instead they are just generous improvements

15. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Last time I tried UMTS video calling, the quality was godawful? have things improved? I suspect that might be the main thin apple is bring to table here, high quality phone video calling.

16. Press22 macrumors 6502

Press22

Well now we have video calling and it's basically free since it's on wifi not using up data. (I believe)

If your fancy Japanese phone is so great why do you have an iPhone? :rolleyes:

17. layziegtp macrumors regular

They could build a GPS satellite into the damn phone and you guys would complain that they've 'had those in space for years now'.

18. prvt.donut thread starter macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

Well, there is a thing called competition, they have to be competitive, is this competitive against the others? Hardwarewise... no.

HTC EVO has bigger screen, HDMI out etc.

But I forgot we have to thank Apple for releasing new products with updated tech in them.

19. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Who cares if the technology has existed before. Apple never claimed they invented video chat. The implementation of the existing technology clearly left a lot to be desired (be it price or quality).

Apple is the best in the business at taking hardware and making software for it. I expect they will have another hit on their hands with this feature simply because it's not cobbled together.

20. prvt.donut thread starter macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

10 years ago, they were the best in the world. Apple's interface is the best out there hands down. That is really what decides it for me compared to the phones here.

I would like to see Apple be a bit more flexible with iPhone production, making a range of products. But I guess they have that, they have the 3G, the 3GS and 4 lol

21. Takashi macrumors regular

Agreed. Video chat is old technology. Of course, if things come out of Steve Job's mouth then it's new technology.

I bet if apple designs a bathroom toilet, apple fans will claim that it smells fresh even though it doesn't.

22. prvt.donut thread starter macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

Video chat was never cobbled together. It worked great, but was just too expensive. It is good for certain occasions where we do still use it, but they are not frequent. (Showing Grandparents who live in Kyushu new baby).

From the videos I have seen it didn't seem very impressive quality either. I assume softbank will allow it over 3G from the get go.

23. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Wait, there are other countries outside the US? Oh well, they must not be that important anyway.

24. LoganT macrumors 68020

You hear that guys? If another phone had a feature before the iPhone, you aren't allowed to be really excited when it does come to the iPhone.

25. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

Yeah, the reality is that Apple is starting to slip behind here. Slightly larger screens and 8mp camera's are starting to show up on a few smart phones. I want my iphone to lead the pack, not follow it. I was really hoping for a surprise 4.3" screen. I know, I know, I was dreaming. :D