Iphone 4 right now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brimoody, Jul 1, 2011.

1. brimoody macrumors newbie

I am up for a new phone. Already on unlimited data plan. In your opinions do I hang onto my droid and wait till 5 shows up or just get the 4 now?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

are you dying to get rid of your android?
    if yes > go iphone 4
    if no > go iphone 5

3. Paradoxpm macrumors member

4. flipster macrumors 6502a

If you want it now, just go for it. The iPhone 5 will most likely be a spec bump, and even IF it's a redesign (unlikely) it will still not be 4G. For me, that's a deal breaker because I could careless if it could open apps .4 seconds faster. I want a REAL speed increase, and for that we need 4G, which won't be available on the iPhone until next year.

But, if your Droid still works fine, keep it! Just wait it out 3 months, it isn't that long. You'll be glad you did, and you'd have the latest and greatest (some people like knowing that).

5. brimoody thread starter macrumors newbie

How much will the iPhone 5 cost with a contract?

6. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

Most likely $199 for 16gb, $299 for 32gb.

7. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Here's my two cents.

Anytime I have "settled" for a mid grade purchase, I have always regretted not getting the top of the line.

In this case, it's not that iP4 is a mid grade purchase, it is that there WILL be a marked improvement coming in the matter of 3 months. If you can bite the bullet and wait (if you have your heart set on an iPhone) you will not regret getting the latest and greatest. And we all know how soon specs and new versions are released.

If you look at the phone and say, can I be happy with this for the next 2 years min. If cost isn't an issue and iP5 is within your price range (incl data plan etc). I say wait.

It really sucks when you buy something and in just 2-3 months something much shiner, stronger and faster comes out.

WW

8. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

That's what happened to me with the iPad, sort of. I bought an iPad in January and a few months later iPad 2 came out. I was pissed.

9. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I say wait until September. I'm sitting on my 3GS until then. It's killing me, but you'd be crazy to by an iPhone 4 now. (I still can't believe how much they're going for on Ebay: People is crazy).

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Depends on how important the rumored changes to the iPhone are to you.

11. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

Yes, wait for iPhone 5. No matter what anyone tells you, the iPhone 4 drops too many calls. I love my iPhone 4, but damn it sucks as a phone.

I find it pretty convincing that the iPhone 5 will be a redesign with an internal antenna. Apple won't make the same mistake twice.

Do yourself a favor and wait till September (hopefully).

12. GP_1 macrumors regular

Hang in there two more months brotha. I know it's going to be tough to do that since you have an Android though..

;)

13. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I'd get the white iPhone 4...it's an amazing phone :)

You'll be amazed at the beautiful screen and at the App Store with thousands of quality apps

14. DanteMann macrumors 6502

Well if it's only an Apple product that you want, then just get the IP4, IP5 won't be all that improved. No need to wait months for a phone that's pretty much going to look the same and perform very similar.

If you have no legions to brand name, and you want what's unanimously considered the best phone in the industry, then get the SGS2. Yeah, it's that simple.

15. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Lies... all lies ;)

16. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I personally doubt the rumored changes are worth waiting for...but the ip4 will likely drop a significant amount in price when the next phone comes out, and that would bug me more than missing out on a minor upgrade in specs would.

Either way, you're only talking a few months. Unless your current phone is literally dying, why not wait?

17. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

it's absolutely stupid to get an iPhone 4 now, paying such a high price for a 1 year old device, when you can get a brand new iPhone 5 for the same price in 3 months.

Just wait, and you won't be disappointed. Otherwise, you'll kick yourself when you see the iPhone 5 in a few months.

18. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Not to go all fanboy on you here, but the SGS2 is not in any way considered the unanimous best phone in the industry. I'm not saying the iPhone is, I'm not saying there even is one, I'm just saying your statement is not true.

Also, *allegiances

19. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

I'd say wait. And I just ordered an iPhone 4.

There's likely to be many valuable upgrades. The following would be of interest to me:

1. Processor - historically, iOS updates have made devices more laggy. The performance overhead will "future proof" the user experience.

2. Antenna - I use my phone with a case anyway, but still it would be nice to have it right out of the box.

3. Possible memory increase - meaning a 32 GB phone could get cheaper.

To me the rest is just filler, but why not get that too?

I ordered the 4 because I was offered an impossibly good plan on a temporary promotion, along with a big discount on the phone. I was waiting for the next release but will save hundreds over the next 2 years by buying now.

So unless you need a new phone now (i.e. your current phone is broken) - wait!

20. brimoody thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the advice. I'm dying for an Iphone but I think my best bet is waiting to see what the I phone 5 will offer. I just was playing with a friends Iphone at work and it's so much better than the Android I have. Visually incredible. Can't wait to see what 5 has to offer us! C'mon Apple, throw us a bone and let us in on what the 5 will bring! :)

21. Geffen macrumors 6502

I would say thats a good choice in waiting, I got my iphone 4 back in Feb when they came to Verizon if i was this close to the next version i'd wait it out.

22. bri1212 macrumors 6502

You knew it was coming out in April. I am not sure why you are were pissed. Do you miss Facetime? or the camera? or that it is thinner? or a bit faster?
    I have an ipad, and an ipad2. and both are great, and both function great. so I am not sure exactly what you have to be pissed about.

To the OP, IP5 will not be that great of an upgrade, however, I would still wait, Then you will have options to play with.

To the being with the SGS: I have used one, and it works ok, but the iphone works smoother (IMHO).

23. awadeee, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

If you're dying for an iPhone, sell your Android device and get the iPhone 4. When the new iPhone is released, sell the iPhone 4 and get the new one. You'll take a hit of a couple hundred.

Alternatively, wait until September. :D

EDIT: If you end up buying an iPhone 4 with the intention to sell it soon, get a white one. They are much more desirable (at least where I come from :D).

24. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Personally, I'd hold out for the iPhone 5 if your current phone is usable on a daily basis. Actually, I'm in the exact same situation as you (save for the current phone model). I considered getting the iPhone 4 now, but then I figured it's so close to the iPhone 5 release so I might as well hold out for just a bit longer (even though it's very tough to resist buying a shiny new iPhone 4 right now :D)

25. brimoody thread starter macrumors newbie

The temptation is killing me! I work with alot of people who own I phone 4's and I'm so jealous. I had just traded my phone in when I phone came to Verizon so I couldn't get it then. Hopefully you can hold out till Sept! I know I'm going to try!