Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Yeah, happened to my coworker's iPhone 4 once. Stuck it in front of a fan for 20 seconds and it came back okay. Weird.

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Defect. Not totally unheard of. I'd take it back.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Were you playing a graphic-intensive game? It shouldn't be overheating if you're sitting around in 72 degrees.

Our AC broke last week and our house was 95 degrees and I didn't get warnings on my iPhone 4, despite playing a bit of "Space Miner" while waiting through the 14 hour install of the new AC unit.

My MBP on the other hand, was hot to the touch, especially on the aluminum palm rests. Had to leave it alone until the AC got fixed. Good old Arizona summers.

admyrick

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2008
Virginia
im sorry but you shouldnt have had someone take 14 hours to install your ac. i used to work on ac equipment and i never had a job that took 14 hours.

hansenc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2004
Happened to me today, in FL so its pretty hot outside. Came inside, made lunch, sat down to play with the phone and the Temp warning was on the screen. shut off the phone and turned it back on and all was well.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
Were you playing a graphic-intensive game? It shouldn't be overheating if you're sitting around in 72 degrees.

Our AC broke last week and our house was 95 degrees and I didn't get warnings on my iPhone 4, despite playing a bit of "Space Miner" while waiting through the 14 hour install of the new AC unit.

My MBP on the other hand, was hot to the touch, especially on the aluminum palm rests. Had to leave it alone until the AC got fixed. Good old Arizona summers.

not at all, phone was hanging out at the dining table. i don't have apps open too.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
im sorry but you shouldnt have had someone take 14 hours to install your ac. i used to work on ac equipment and i never had a job that took 14 hours.

It was actually 14.5 hours. Got a 5-ton 16 seer installed. Also got to sit in the house for that long at 95 degrees from 7am until 9:30pm that night with temps of 113 outside. Pure torture. And this guy was one of the cheaper ones after three other quotes that got as high as 12K. Thank God he didn't charge labor by the hour for the install!

As a programmer, I am totally in the wrong business apparently.

raven77

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2008
It was actually 14.5 hours. Got a 5-ton 16 seer installed. Also got to sit in the house for that long at 95 degrees from 7am until 9:30pm that night with temps of 113 outside. Pure torture. And this guy was one of the cheaper ones after three other quotes that got as high as 12K. Thank God he didn't charge labor by the hour for the install!

As a programmer, I am totally in the wrong business apparently.

What do you program?

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Hate to hijack the thread - C# ASP.NET MVC 2.0 for the day job, Objective-C, Ruby/Python and other fun stuff for the "side projects" :)

badpinoy

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
were you running a program with location services? maybe it the gps was running in the background.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

I could think of how it could get pushed to a 14 hour job. Based on the fact he got a 16 seer installed and it was a replacement system means the old system I am going to assume was a 10 SEER (High effeminacy 10 years ago) and was running on the old freon. This means a bit more of the piping has to be replaced.
Also the fan for the system has to be replaced with a 2 speed. Also based on the seer I am going to guess a dehumidify/humidify was added to it. The water lines might of had to be routed there and were more difficult than what was expect.

Plus you have the heat to deal with which ment the workers needed more breaks and were not moving as fast. 95 in the house it could of been well over a 100 in the attic were they were working.

My parents had one of their systems replaced and they ran into some trouble and had to modify the duct work on the spot. On other system they had to go out and get a different part and then modify that part to fit in the space advailble. Both were things were unexpected hic ups they had to deal with.

Could easily of been the guy ran into some very unexpected problems and this system required a bit of extra work.

jlblodgett

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
My iPhone 4 just did this today.

The phone was sitting on my desk in my office (AC is set to 71 degrees - there is no direct sunlight) when a text message came in. (Phone was just sitting on my desk, not plugged in, not in use, etc.) As I moved to swipe the lock to retrieve my text message, the screen suddenly flashed the Temperature warning.

I left it for a second, the screen blacked out (went to idle). I pushed the home button again -- and the temp screen was still there (and it said "No Service.")

A few minutes later -- it DID all return to normal and the iPhone did return to normal function. I called Apple's support line and they said it could just be a "false positive" since it clearly ISN'T overheated. They blamed it on restoring the iPhone from my previous generations of iPhones, and recommended that I do a 100% restore and restore the phone as NEW when I do.

brianadkins

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2007
My iPhone 4 just did this today.

The phone was sitting on my desk in my office (AC is set to 71 degrees - there is no direct sunlight) when a text message came in. (Phone was just sitting on my desk, not plugged in, not in use, etc.) As I moved to swipe the lock to retrieve my text message, the screen suddenly flashed the Temperature warning.

I left it for a second, the screen blacked out (went to idle). I pushed the home button again -- and the temp screen was still there (and it said "No Service.")....

Identical happening today for me... Incoming SMS caused me to look at iphone which was room temperature (probably ~71 F as well). I rebooted it and service was restored and the temp warning was gone... No idea...

JustLeft

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
I would return the phone. I did when mine had the issue, happened 2 days after I got it. Had the replacement phone for 3 weeks with no issues. If you are close to an apple store take it in and have one of the Genius's look at it. When they hooked my phone up they said it hit 130 degrees. It was cool to the touch. As I said, no issues with the replacement.

Identical happening today for me... Incoming SMS caused me to look at iphone which was room temperature (probably ~71 F as well). I rebooted it and service was restored and the temp warning was gone... No idea...

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
Had mine replaced today as well. Had an incoming text, and the next thing you know the message pops up. Went to the Apple store and they hooked up my phone to the diag. software, and it seems the message was tripped after it reported my phone being 1200 degrees F.

Yes you read that right, 1200 degrees F :eek: The employees had a good chuckle about that and I was out with a new replacement in minutes.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I am reviving this thread because in 7 weeks of ownership of my iPhone 4 I just received the inverted triangle - temperature warning and this seems by far the thread with the most occurrences. My phone was lying on my desk just mildly warm. I received this message when receiving a call. I went to the Apple store but I did not wish to exchange the phone just yet, in case I exchanged it for another set of issues like dead/stuck pixels, proximity sensor probs etc.

Anyhow, for those who did not immediately exchange their phones did it repeat again?

In all my searching around, it seems a very popular situation was on receiving a call. Why is that?

I always do restore as a new phone when updating firmware. I did notice prior to today that for the last week or two since updating to 4.1 my battery life had declined. I also noticed that I seemed to be using an inordinate amount of data although I could not explain it via running apps. I am not jailbroken and have not been.

Since restoring as a new phone again this morning my battery life has increased to what it was when I first purchased my phone. 3 hours and 45 minutes of usage and 2 hours of call usage and still 53% of battery life left.

brianadkins

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2007
Anyhow, for those who did not immediately exchange their phones did it repeat again?

Mine happened while receiving a text message, but that was two months ago and I haven't seen the problem since (single occurence)

bigtallguy

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Got this the other day too, first time ever seeing it. It was just sitting on the table while in a fast food joint not hot at all. i just reset my phone and it went away. havent seen it since.

Attachments

• IMG_0056.PNG
    IMG_0056.PNG
    49.6 KB · Views: 121

MyMaria

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2009
Just got this again today. First time I encountered this was after jailbreaking an iPad2 with absinthe... after an hour, it cooled down and I was able to use it.

Now it's with the 4S! I'm still having the error and it's been almost 3 hours since the error displayed. The weird thing is that I have a signal (the iphone is from AT&T and I'm using a Gevey Sim to use with a local sim) and I can even call the iPhone! I just can't get see/navigate the menu because it has this temperature error on screen! I can even open iTunes and it detects the phone and I was also able to get this screenshot.

Picture013.png

How do I get rid of this? :(

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2011
I too got the warning today. The phone I have was a swap this past week. my old iPhone 4 had a bad battery. I was in my friends car. It's around 75 degrees today. Her iPhone is in a Otterbox and mine is in a Speck 2 piece case, so hers is more closed up then mine.

Should I bring it back? I never had this issue with my other phone and I really don't feel like dealing with a temperamental phone that I just got. Although they say the phones have never been 'used', you know darn well they were refurbished in some way even if they had issues right from the factory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.