Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sunday marked the 10th anniversary of Steve Jobs introducing the iPhone 4 and FaceTime at WWDC 2010 in San Francisco.

A few months prior to the keynote, photos of a prototype iPhone 4 were leaked by Gizmodo after an Apple engineer accidentally left the device behind at a bar in Redwood City, California, leading Jobs to quip "stop me if you've already seen this."

105532-800x600_comp8.jpg

iPhone 4 featured an all-new design with a glass and stainless steel unibody and squared edges, with Jobs describing it as the thinnest smartphone ever at the time. It was also the first Apple product to feature a higher-resolution Retina display, with an average person unable to see individual pixels on the screen from an average viewing distance.

While its design was acclaimed, it was soon discovered that the iPhone 4 could experience signal drop when gripped in a way that blocked the antennas built into the frame. Jobs downplayed the issue in a press conference, noting that all smartphones have antenna weak spots, but Apple did offer a free bumper case to customers that helped to mitigate the problem. The following year, the iPhone 4S featured significant antenna upgrades.

steve-jobs-holding-iphone-4.jpg

Later in the keynote, Jobs introduced FaceTime, which he demonstrated by having a video call with Apple's recently departed design chief Jony Ive. Apple initially planned to make FaceTime an open standard, but that never happened, with some reports having claimed that patent lawsuits are at least partly to blame.

Rumors suggest that squared edges will make a comeback on iPhone 12 models later this year — a fitting way to mark the 10th anniversary of the iPhone 4.

Article Link: iPhone 4 Turns 10: 'Stop Me If You've Already Seen This'

Last edited:
Reactions: Locke Cole

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
My first iPhone. I bought it in August, I remember waiting in line for a few minutes outside the Apple Store, and there were lines even in September and October as far as I remember, it was really difficult to get.
I eventually decided to be an app developer for iOS, and it was a good decision.

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
That was my first iPhone, it was absolutely incredible back in 2010. The Retina display was revolutionary at the time, every other phone out there had very low resolution screens that looked like garbage by comparison.

The whole antenna thing was hilariously overblown. You had to tightly grip the phone in your hand in a really weird way to have any issues. Nobody holds phones like that now, and few did then. Steve Jobs never said “you’re holding it wrong”, yet the haters still put it in quotes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.