Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

115509-seattle_slow_3g_upload.jpg

In a rapidly-growing thread started in our forums over the weekend, iPhone 4 users from a number of locations around the United States have been reporting significant drops in data upload speeds on AT&T's 3G network. As noted by Gizmodo, many of these users are seeing upload speeds maxing out at only 100 kbps, far below the 1500 kbps these same users were seeing before the weekend on their HSUPA-compatible devices.

Users in several dozen metro areas scattered across the country, including Boston, New York City, Washington DC, Houston, Phoenix, Las Vegas, and Seattle among others, have reported the issue. The issue does not appear to be nationwide, however, as users in a number of locations including Atlanta, Richmond, and Raleigh, as well as some customers even in markets where other users are affected, are not experiencing slow upload speeds.

A couple of posters in our forums have reported speaking with AT&T service representatives who have indicated that the company is in fact experiencing data issues in much of the country. While it is disconcerting that the issue has been affecting users for several days now, it seems likely that the holiday weekend in the United States may have slowed the company's response.

Article Link: iPhone 4 Users on AT&T Experiencing Widespread Drops in Upload Speed

aprilfools

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2004
Southern California
AT&T is at full capacity. They are maxed out. Their cell structure can't handle much more. Bottom line.
The problem is going to get worse before it gets better. I'm not a Apple fan boy but don't blame on Apple on this. The technology and consumer fascination in smart phones (iPhone) has out grown the ability for wireless carriers to keep up.

aduzik

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2008
Downtown Des Moines, IA. Download 2200 kbps, Upload 94 kbps. Just a few days ago the upload was in the 1200 kbps range. Definitely an issue.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
It is ironic that other news outlets picked up the Macrumors thread before macrumors did.

Double-plus ironic even.

(For those of you wondering about this, this issue has been a hot topic on the iPhone forums *here* on MacRumors, but even so, Gizmodo beat MacRumors to the punch in "publishing" the story.)

Damn, I wish Engadget had picked this up, or anyone other than Jizzmodo...

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
If everyone would stop running bandwidth tests we might actually get things back to normal ;)

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
My best friend has worked for AT&T for many years. His job is to repair the cell sites in his territory. That is what he has done for years. He knows what is going on, on the frontline.

We were just talking he told me what I'm sure everybody here already knows already... AT&T is at full capacity. They are maxed out. Their cell structure can't handle much more. Bottom line.

The problem is going to get worse before it gets better. I'm not a Apple fan boy but don't blame on Apple on this. The technology is outgrowing the ability to keep up.

Well I personally will do my part to rectify the situation, as soon as VERIZION
gets the i Phone! With 2 iPhones and a $184.96 monthly bill for CRAP service,
THIS boyo is jumpin ship:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.