iPhone 4 Water Damage Warranty. HELP!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by masi23, Nov 23, 2010.

1. masi23 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, my daugther dropped her iPhone 4 in the swimming pool (i know right :() I had it dry out for about 3 days now but it's still not turning on. The water sensor inside the headphone jack has a pale pink color, but only on its bottom half... or top half, depending on your perspective. Meanwhile, the one below the dock is 'Snow White' ...does this mean the warranty is not voided since only one of the senors has been activated?

I heard they don't open iPhones at the genius bar. I'm hoping they would reward me with a brand new replacement. My appointment is today.

:apple:

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

When I took my old iPhone 3G to the an Apple store they used a doctors 'ear scope' to check all the sensors. I think if one is tripped they do not have to honour the warranty.

I would make an appointment anyway, you may get lucky :)

3. masi23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that's unfortunate. Did they open your Phone? Or they just checked the 2 visible sensors (Headphone jack and Dock)?

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

In front of me only those two, however they could have checked more after they took it from me.

5. masi23 thread starter macrumors newbie

I see. I thought they replace iPhones right on the spot? I've heard that it was the case for most.

My nearest Apple store is about 40 minutes away, the next one is 60. Getting rejected on the first store would be a hassle. I don't really want to pay an extra $200 to get a refurbished unit, i was thinking of maybe hiding the pale pink color with white-out...

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

That would be fraud...but kudos if it works ;)

I have always found Apple Genius helpful if you go to them and tell them the problem.

7. masi23, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

masi23 thread starter macrumors newbie

If they reject on the first store, ill take it to the other store :D

8. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

I'm pretty sure they would be able to tell that whiteout is on the sensor :rolleyes: the best way to go about this is first eat a slice of humble pie, walk in and tell them the truth of what happened. It might even help to have your daughter there and have her tell the "genius" what happened. Who knows, you may get lucky and the guy/girl will be sympathetic and replace it for free, or they will charge you the replacement price. Either way just be honest, humble and don't go in there with the attitude of them oweing you something, because you'll get nothing in return.

9. gouda272, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010

gouda272 macrumors regular

i thought that a memo came out saying that if someone claims they did not trip the sensors that instead of rejecting the warranty on the spot they were supposed to do some further inspection of it, like take it apart and check for other damage. Good Luck though, post back what happens.

edit: here is the thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1045967

10. masi23, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

masi23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, ok, ill keep you guys updated. I won't admit that it was water damage and see how it goes from there.

11. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Best bet is to go in there and be honest. Just tell them what happen and hope the genius is sympathetic.

12. weirdlilwoman macrumors member

So you are going to go in, tell them a lie (by omission), and expect them to pay for your daughter's mistake?

What kind of lesson is that teaching her?

13. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

lie to get ahead in this world.

seems like a pretty good lesson to me. :)

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Apparently the lesson learned by a lot of folks on here...lying and cheating is fine if it benefits them.

15. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

I think with one sensor tripped the phone will undergo a more thorough inspection...you won't get a new phone you'll probably get a black boxed refurb if you're lucky...

16. peteisanidiot macrumors regular

Seriously. The sense of entitlement some people have is mind boggling but unfortunately all to common. His frankness seems to indicate that he sees absolutely wrong with lying and deceiving to cover for his own mistakes.

17. SIUGRAD99 macrumors regular

I love to read all the posts for people who ruin their phone by no fault of Apple's and expect that Apple should just eat the cost and replace it for them. I personally hope the Apple store tells you know and flags your account so that no matter what Apple store you go to they will turn you down. Teach your daughter to be more careful with $500 pieces of electronics and make her use a go phone until she can afford a replacement. That will teach her a lesson she can learn from instead of teaching her that lying and cheating is Ok. :mad:

18. samcraig macrumors P6

Agreed. I love the " I'm hoping they would reward me with a brand new replacement."

REWARD? For what? For your daughters (excuse me) carelessness/accident?

Accidents happen. It's unfortunate. But why should Apple pay for your (daughter's) mistake. And is this really the lesson to teach your daughter? Lie and cheat as long as it benefits you?

I can only imagine when she turns around and does the same but with something you don't like. It will be VERY hypocritical for you to talk your way out of THAT one, sir.

19. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

anytime something like this is posted, everyone always talks about morals and how Apple shouldn't honour it.

while i do agree with Apple not honouring the warranty (which is obvious), shut up. i can guarantee if you were in the same position as the OP, you would do anything possible to save $200. so stop pretending you go "by the book" in everything in life.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

Fair enough - but you can't deny that the SMARTER thing to do would not post on a message board about your deception, etc and just do it, no?

I won't speak for anyone else - but IF (BIG IF) I was ever going to do something like that - I would keep it to myself. Post it here - or anywhere - or relay it to someone "in person" and you open yourself up to criticism. To think otherwise is naive.

21. hcho3 macrumors 68030

So, are you hoping that apple Genius will be a fool and not notice the water damage? That's kind of not a good lesson for your daughter...

Also, this topic shouldn't be even called warranty thread. It should be called "Dropped my iphone in water and warranty has been voided. Help!"

22. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

23. ItsJustafnPhone, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010

ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

must suck to live your life like this, thinking everyone around you has the same crappy morals you share, no wonder chivalry and kindness to strangers is a thing of the past

If I KNEW that i damaged my own electronics, I wouldn't try to lie. I would go in there, be honest and ask nicely for a discount, but definitely not get upset if I didn't get one . Probably wouldn't hurt to bring the daughter in to the store. Best case scenario they take pity and replace for free and you show your daughter a lesson in humility, worse case scenario you show your daughter a lesson about responsibility.

sounds like father of the year to me

24. masi23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Geez, hold on now, all the hostility. First of all, my daughter is almost 18 years old and being her dad for those past 18 years, i think she knows well enough whats wrong and right. She's got a mature mind of her own and no one knows this well enough than her own father. $200 is a lot of money these days if you ask me, and i think Apple not having accidental damage warranty is pure bull.

Well, with that being said, i went to Apple last week (first visit) and talked to the 'Genius'. All i said was "It just stopped working." ...first thing he did was check the sensors. Then tried to connect it on itunes. A few minutes later, "Well sir, what im gonna have to do is give you a new unit. We can activate it here and you can use it right away."

Me: "Ok, great."

$200 saved.

"If you follow all the rules, you're missing all the fun."

Good day to all.

25. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

life is great. if you knew who i was, then i guess you would know. ;)

and.. did you even read what i said? probably not. you said:

isn't that what i said?

:rolleyes:

i never said anything about getting upset... all i said was that anyone would try to save $200 (well at least anyone that's not sitting on a couple of million dollars).

good to hear.