Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
Great, another "free" phone to someone who abused theirs that adds to the price of iPhones for everyone else.

Geez, hold on now, all the hostility. First of all, my daughter is almost 18 years old and being her dad for those past 18 years, i think she knows well enough whats wrong and right. She's got a mature mind of her own and no one knows this well enough than her own father. $200 is a lot of money these days if you ask me, and i think Apple not having accidental damage warranty is pure bull.

Well, with that being said, i went to Apple last week (first visit) and talked to the 'Genius'. All i said was "It just stopped working." ...first thing he did was check the sensors. Then tried to connect it on itunes. A few minutes later, "Well sir, what im gonna have to do is give you a new unit. We can activate it here and you can use it right away."

Me: "Ok, great."

$200 saved.

"If you follow all the rules, you're missing all the fun."

Good day to all.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
i think Apple not having accidental damage warranty is pure bull.

Can you name one single company that does include accidental damage in their warranty? I'd be very surprised if there are any because warranty is intended to cover manufacturing defects. If you want protection against accidental damage / loss / theft then you normally go down the insurance route

In fact, I think Apple go further than most other companies with their $200 replacement for accidental damage: I don't know of any other company that offers that sort of reduced price replacement service.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
Geez, hold on now, all the hostility. First of all, my daughter is almost 18 years old and being her dad for those past 18 years, i think she knows well enough whats wrong and right. She's got a mature mind of her own and no one knows this well enough than her own father. $200 is a lot of money these days if you ask me, and i think Apple not having accidental damage warranty is pure bull.

Well, with that being said, i went to Apple last week (first visit) and talked to the 'Genius'. All i said was "It just stopped working." ...first thing he did was check the sensors. Then tried to connect it on itunes. A few minutes later, "Well sir, what im gonna have to do is give you a new unit. We can activate it here and you can use it right away."

$200 saved.

Good day to all.

Glad you got a new unit. huzzah.

To everyone nay sayin', as the other poster said: shut up. I'd put money on everyone here having cut a few corners in life and hell, this guy just claimed ignorance and it went his way anyway (or does that make you think the Apple Genius is an Evil Genius or something?). Normal customers that do not post here claim ignorance EVERY DAY. If you need to come on a forum to be all morally righteous then here's a hug for you. *hug* Take a breathe. OP didn't claim he (or his daughter) wasn't responsible, was just asking about cutting a corner. Since you nay sayers are all about doling out life lessons, here's one for you:

"If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all".​

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Glad you got a new unit. huzzah.

To everyone nay sayin', as the other poster said: shut up.
If you need to come on a forum to be all morally righteous then here's a hug for you. *hug* Take a breathe.

"If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all"

Maybe you should follow your own advice...

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
Great, another "free" phone to someone who abused theirs that adds to the price of iPhones for everyone else.
:confused:

I agree with the general idea that abuse of warranties isn't morally correct..

.. but the iPhone has never increased in price and abusing warranties is nothing new.

I think one a lot of people miss the point on why Apple honours warranties on phones that are obviously abused. It's not about taking the hit on a phone that costs $187 to manufacture. It's about hooking a customer for life by creating goodwill. If the cost of acquisition of a new lifelong customer is a $200 replacement iPhone after the user dropped it in the pool, so be it. You want them to buy the apps, try the iPad, maybe upgrade to a Macbook, buy all your accessories at the Apple store, etc.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
Maybe you should follow your own advice...

Congrats, you win a hug. *hug for Phil*

I actually gave the OP positive feedback and defended him. That's a nice thing. If you took my post as "morally righteous" then you win another hug for seeing me as part of your black and white morality scale. Stick me in the grey area please. *second hug for Phil*

Loves2spoon

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
California
I see. I thought they replace iPhones right on the spot? I've heard that it was the case for most.

My nearest Apple store is about 40 minutes away, the next one is 60. Getting rejected on the first store would be a hassle. I don't really want to pay an extra $200 to get a refurbished unit, i was thinking of maybe hiding the pale pink color with white-out...

I had mine replaced for free *thank god*

They come in a black box and are brand new units, not refurbs.

lear6t

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008

$200 saved.

Good day to all.

Wow! Unbelievable!!!

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010

$200 saved.

Good day to all.

People like you are the reason that people like me have to pay higher prices for stuff. Thanks...:mad:

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010

$200 saved.

Good day to all.

:D So when is her birthday? :D

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
People like you are the reason that people like me have to pay higher prices for stuff. Thanks...:mad:

And warranties are more tightly controlled, and customer service declines... But hey, he lied his way out of $200, taught his daughter a valuable lesson, and got to laugh at all of us who said he was wrong for doing so. Guess he showed us.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Good thing that you got an apple dumb ass and not apple genius.

But, I also want to say good job for selling your morality for 199 dollars.

"If you follow every rules, then you are missing a lot."

That's just....
Wow...

I hope there are less people who thinks like this OP.

Let our country fall apart.

ohla313

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Is it lonely on your pedestal?

Geez..if you were in the situation you'd prob find a way to replace it for free!

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
And warranties are more tightly controlled, and customer service declines... But hey, he lied his way out of $200, taught his daughter a valuable lesson, and got to laugh at all of us who said he was wrong for doing so. Guess he showed us.

He didn't lie, he let the Apple Genius do his thing and the genius opted to replace it. Here's a hug for you: *hug*

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
Good thing that you got an apple dumb ass and not apple genius.

But, I also want to say good job for selling your morality for 199 dollars.

"If you follow every rules, then you are missing a lot."

That's just....
Wow...

I hope there are less people who thinks like this OP.

Let our country fall apart.

Comparing claiming ignorance of device failure to a country falling apart is just...
that's just...
wow...
Seriously? Ever heard the saying "making a mountain out of a mole hill"?

*hug for you*

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Congrats, you win a hug. *hug for Phil*

I actually gave the OP positive feedback and defended him. That's a nice thing. If you took my post as "morally righteous" then you win another hug for seeing me as part of your black and white morality scale. Stick me in the grey area please. *second hug for Phil*

Your condescension is both unnecessary and unwarranted: I have made no moral judgements within this thread (or elsewhere), but merely pointed out the hypocrisy of a post that finished with a line about not saying anything if you can't say something nice, but started by telling posters to "shut up"

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
Your condescension is both unnecessary and unwarranted: I have made no moral judgements within this thread (or elsewhere), but merely pointed out the hypocrisy of a post that finished with a line about not saying anything if you can't say something nice, but started by telling posters to "shut up"

Exactly...you put me in your little black & white box of morality. If I made you feel sad, I apologise. Have another hug *hugs*

p.s: If you have made no moral judgements, then my post was evidently not directed at you. You therefore went out of your way to say something high and mighty, making you part of the group my post was directed at. And yes, my post does ironically make me part of that group too. Would you mind giving me a hug? I feel so damaged.
*hug*

Jetaray

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Rollingstone, MN

$200 saved.

Good day to all.

I wouldn’t call it hostility, maybe jealousy because you saved $200. I don’t have a problem with you working the system, but the fact you actually think you taught your daughter right from wrong is extremely hilarious.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Comparing claiming ignorance of device failure to a country falling apart is just...
that's just...
wow...
Seriously? Ever heard the saying "making a mountain out of a mole hill"?

*hug for you*

I get it, it is the "it's not my problem" attitude. It is the same attitude that has caused a ton of issues in the USA. It is all about "me" in this country. I think the idea was a general comparison. He lied by omission which is just as bad yet he could care less about the consequences. Sadly many, if not most, will do this.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Exactly...you put me in your little black & white box of morality. If I made you feel sad, I apologise. Have another hug *hugs*

p.s: If you have made no moral judgements, then my post was evidently not directed at you. You therefore went out of your way to say something high and mighty, making you part of the group my post was directed at. And yes, my post does ironically make me part of that group too. Would you mind giving me a hug? I feel so damaged.
*hug*

pathetic, simply pathetic. You are clearly trying to wind people up so despite the temptation to rise to the bait, I'll simply ignore you from hereon in

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

*hug*

Hypocrisy again (and I don't want or need one of your "hugs"). You're making his comment black/white vs the grey you so love.

As the previous poster said - you're just fanning flames on this thread and yourself. You're more concerned with playing school teacher and holier than thou with your "hugs" than anyone here was in passing judgement on the OP.

Stop worrying about the dust in someone else's eye when you have a plank in yours....

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
pathetic, simply pathetic. You are clearly trying to wind people up so despite the temptation to rise to the bait, I'll simply ignore you from hereon in
Ding ding, we have a winner. You finally realised that I'm kidding. My main point is for everyone to lighten up a tad. This whole thread isn't that big a deal.

Hypocrisy again (and I don't want or need one of your "hugs"). You're making his comment black/white vs the grey you so love.

As the previous poster said - you're just fanning flames on this thread and yourself. You're more concerned with playing school teacher and holier than thou with your "hugs" than anyone here was in passing judgement on the OP.

Stop worrying about the dust in someone else's eye when you have a plank in yours....

I never suggested you wanted or needed a hug, I gave you one anyway. Have another. *hug*. School teacher? Says you. That's rich.

By the way, the it's 'twig in someone else's eye when you have a plank in your own'. See, they're both wood. (Yup, that's me being the school teacher. Could it be I'm mocking myself too!?)

Those things said, lighten the hell up.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
I get it, it is the "it's not my problem" attitude. It is the same attitude that has caused a ton of issues in the USA. It is all about "me" in this country. I think the idea was a general comparison. He lied by omission which is just as bad yet he could care less about the consequences. Sadly many, if not most, will do this.

But he didn't lie. He simply acted like he didn't know what had happened. Saying omission is just as bad is your moral judgement. I learned very quickly that the best way to approach the Apple Genius bar is to pretend to be a technological retard. You hurt a genius' feelings because most of them don't know their ass from their elbow and they don't do you any favours. You pretend your technologically inept and suddenly they're your best friend. Not sure if it's true in ALL stores but its certainly true in Regent St, London, Cardiff and Bluewater Shopping Centre stores. Ignorance gets you good service at the Genius Bar. This is an example of that.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
But he didn't lie. He simply acted like he didn't know what had happened. Saying omission is just as bad is your moral judgement. I learned very quickly that the best way to approach the Apple Genius bar is to pretend to be a technological retard. You hurt a genius' feelings because most of them don't know their ass from their elbow and they don't do you any favours. You pretend your technologically inept and suddenly they're your best friend. Not sure if it's true in ALL stores but its certainly true in Regent St, London, Cardiff and Bluewater Shopping Centre stores. Ignorance gets you good service at the Genius Bar. This is an example of that.

Omission is lying.... I wouldn't have dreamed of even making the attempt to take my phone in that I dropped into water to try and get a new one. I would have told them what happened and hoped that I could buy a new one at the discounted price but that is about it. That phone will go back to Apple and be inspected then cleaned and when they determine it was water damage (which they will) and they will mark it in their books as a loss (due to training or whatever). What do you think happens to those losses? They get inflated into the cost of the next phone or other products which will be paid back by other customers. Companies don't lose money... FYI, the company shouldn't be giving him good service, SHE BROKE HER OWN PHONE!

So, next time you pay a lot for something and wonder why, you can blame people like the OP for helping to drive up the cost.

You can "pretend" all you want, but you are lying, even by omission, to that person by not telling them that you damaged the phone.

I know where my morals sit and I am proud of them because I can easily display them in public… How about you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.