Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mason Dulemba

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2016
United states
I have an iPhone 4 (iPhone 3,1), I reset all content and settings (Was working fine, a friend just wanted me to clear its memory before he gave it to me, after it reset, i was going through the setup process and when i got past the country selection in the setup process, it asked me to connect to iTunes, so i did and itunes recognizes it and it said connected to itunes on the iphone screen. When i try and click on the iphone icon in itunes, it doesn't do anything (icon is greyed out). At this point i put it in dfu mode and tried to do a complete restore that way, at about 70-80% itunes says restore failed, error 2.
I tried using a different cable (an official apple cable that i used to restore another iPhone 4 (a CMDA version iPhone 4) and the CMDA iphone 4 restores fine, but the other one still gives an error 2.
Ive Tried using download and update (IE downloading the the ipsw automatically in itunes), and ive tried using PWND DFU (AKA ireb) and still getting the error 2

The Specs of the Mac im using to restore:
MacBook Air Mid 2013
4gb Ram
128GB SSD
OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
With latest version of iTunes 12.5.3.17

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.