iPhone 4G concept

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Jun 28, 2008.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Yep.

Attached Files:

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Where's the front camera for video iChat? And what about all those new native apps? Or the scratched up chrome bezel? :p

3. actorkid macrumors 6502

i actually kinda like this....

especially if all of that black was aluminum (and reception somehow wasn't affected) :)

simple yet sexy...

4. hammyonmac macrumors newbie

hammyonmac

No way!

I think it is clever, but maybe like, 10 years to early. That looks nothing like an apple product. The 1st Gen iPhone at least resembled the iPod, and the 3G seems to resemble the computers a little more that the first. This is so different from anything apple's made. They have a particular style with their products, and that seems to include rounded edges and hard edges.

This is to smooth to be an apple design.

5. actorkid macrumors 6502

i actually think this design matches pretty well to the current ipod classics (the slightly rounded black aluminum)

6. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Is this even possible? ;) :apple: :D

7. phinnaeus macrumors member

To a certain extent, I couldn't care less what it looks like, as long as they add enough good features to make it worth the money, unlike this new thing coming out on July 11th.

8. rolex54 macrumors 6502

can we at least have the 3G one out before we start talking about the next model

9. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Why would you call it 4G? ALL 3G MEANS IS THE TYPE OF NETWORK THE iPHONE IS ON..... I have a 3G Samsung Sync but that doesn't mean Samsung can make a 4G Sync......

10. hammyonmac macrumors newbie

hammyonmac

That is a really god question. It might have made sense if they were referring to the generation, but this new one would be the 2G then....I think it is an unconscious relation to new apple things. They've always called their new iPods by the generation.

11. elbirth macrumors 65816

um, 4G is yet another step up from 3G cellular networks that's already in use in some countries that are ahead of the game. So naming the next one 4G would make sense, assuming 4G gets implemented in more countries.

12. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

13. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

only problem is its still running firmware 1.02...

14. mattrobs macrumors member

Actually (and ironically) the iPhone 3G is a third-generation iPhone. Came straight from an Apple engineer.

15. yehudah72 macrumors regular

yehudah72

Don't you people have better things to do?

Is that idiotic or what??? 4G, let's finish with the 3G stuff first. how about getting a Front iChat cam before we worry about FAKE pics that show imaginary phones. get a life... stop making FAKE pics to make people read stupid stuff (and no, i didn't read this stuff; someone else forward it to me).

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That led to a one post thread about who's getting the 3G iPhone. It's not a third-gen device. It's the second iPhone.

4G is the name of the next cellular data network. The third generation iPhone could be called the 4G iPhone if it interfaces with this network.

17. javadh macrumors member

18. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Well Apple calls it the iPhone 3g, so why couldn't they call the next one the 4g one?

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Unless it has 4G networking, it would be false advertising.

20. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

21. protekt0r macrumors regular

protekt0r

The next iPhone will not likely be named "4G". 4G doesn't even exist (standard wise) and AT&T has already dedicated itself to LTE 3G... Theoretical 3G LTE speeds are in the arena of 14mbits. The only thing holding back those kinds of speeds are the physical data connections to local lines from the towers (the current 3G equipment support up to 7mbits per connection through software upgrades). The only thing 3G lacks is QoS (quality of service, or packet prioritization). QoS is going to be a major factor in a few years.

3G is going to be around for a long time in the US, though it will not always be limited to 1mbit.

Another iPhone possibility is what AT&T and Verizon won in the 700mhz FCC auction. We may see quad-mode iPhones in the years to come (700Mhz LTE, Wifi, GSM, CDMA). Or some variation of that. AT&T and Verizon haven't announced what standards it will use for 700Mhz, but you can count on mobile broadband access to it. Sprint is doing its own thing with WiMAX.

22. Marvin1379 macrumors 6502

with iPods, it was simple...each new product revision was a new "G" short for "generation"...we're up to 6G for ipod classics, 3G for nanos. as we are used to the iPod nomenclature, now the iPhone 3G, confuses things. it stands for the cellular phone technology, not the product generation (i don't care what that Cara person said in the above link...) this is the 2nd generation of the iPhone. a generation is a new design and software feature updates and fixes, not just the firmware update. So the 2G(eneration) iPhone is named 3G.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3g ...for more on 3G (and a link to 4G)

EDIT: I like the concept of the phone. agree that it should be the aluminum like the current gen ipods, but it would mess up reception.

23. simulacra macrumors member

My friend, the theoretical limits of 3GPP LTE is way above 14 mb/s.
    You can scare current gen umts to 14 Mb/s (actually, come to think about it, we've got 14.4 Mb/s in some masts here in stockholm), the theoretical maximum speed of 3G LTE is somewhere around 326 Mb/s for 4x4 antennas and 172 Mb/s for 2x2.
    The actual spec of LTE isn't really set in stone yet and most operators that says they committed to supporting LTE are figuring that those services will be up by 2010/2011. :)

For some reasons the US network seems fantastically under developed for being such a high tech country, cant really figure out why, but I'm not all that knowledgeable about us network systems...

24. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

Sorry but I don't like it. It looks like the front edges are round as well as the back and that there is like half an inch of space between the rounded front edges and the screen! :confused: