Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Apple's music player/phone designs hit their peak with the second generation iPod nano in my opinion. I always thought they would make the whole iPod line that awesome curved, one sheet of metal shape but unfortunately someone decided that the look they have now is better.

I for one think iPhone is pretty darned ugly and the plastic on the new ones is only going to make things worse.

randomusername

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Apple's music player/phone designs hit their peak with the second generation iPod nano in my opinion. I always thought they would make the whole iPod line that awesome curved, one sheet of metal shape but unfortunately someone decided that the look they have now is better.

I for one think iPhone is pretty darned ugly and the plastic on the new ones is only going to make things worse.

I couldn't disagree more. I personally like the current iPod/iPhone line-up. The iPhone 3G looks amazing, IMO, and the new nanos look better than the 1st and 2nd generation nanos.

mattrobs

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
That led to a one post thread about who's getting the 3G iPhone. It's not a third-gen device. It's the second iPhone.
Perhaps you missed the page anchor. Cara works for Apple's Innovations team:
cara said:
Hrm, I don't remember any release documents going out saying the iPhone3 was coming out tomorrow...
zanwar said:
^ I think you mean iPhone2?
cara said:
iPhone 1 - First Firmware Chip Revision which permitted arbitrary unlocking due to a design flaw
iPhone 2 - Common Place iPhone you see now with the recent firmware and flashchip revisions
iPhone 3 - iPhone 3G Rev

sr5878

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
phone-mac-studie-mit-at-t-1984-2-thumb.jpg

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
I couldn't disagree more. I personally like the current iPod/iPhone line-up. The iPhone 3G looks amazing, IMO, and the new nanos look better than the 1st and 2nd generation nanos.

I agree, the iPhone 3G looks sleek and sexy as hell, idk how people complain about the styling of it. Yes, the aluminum felt very nice to the touch, but the 2tone was fugly and the shape of the iPhone not very ergonomic. the iPhone 3G is soooo nice looking in my opinion. :D
And yeah, the new iPod nanos > any other ipod besides touch

protekt0r

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
My friend, the theoretical limits of 3GPP LTE is way above 14 mb/s.
You can scare current gen umts to 14 Mb/s (actually, come to think about it, we've got 14.4 Mb/s in some masts here in stockholm), the theoretical maximum speed of 3G LTE is somewhere around 326 Mb/s for 4x4 antennas and 172 Mb/s for 2x2.
The actual spec of LTE isn't really set in stone yet and most operators that says they committed to supporting LTE are figuring that those services will be up by 2010/2011. :)

For some reasons the US network seems fantastically under developed for being such a high tech country, cant really figure out why, but I'm not all that knowledgeable about us network systems...

Wasn't aware of that, thanks. ;-)

The reason the U.S. is usually behind Europe is our size. A lot of people (including us!) forget we have an enormous land mass and 300 million people scattered throughout. With over 75 metropolitan areas of populations of more than 1 million people, deploying any new technology (wired or wireless) is both extremely expensive and challenging, especially for rural areas where wireless networks break even. Imagine your network trying deploy LTE in 75 different Stockholms hundreds of miles apart... you can imagine the difficulties. ;-)

It's easy for Germans, Italians, and Japanese to sit back and criticize our slow to adopt pace when their entire country equals just ONE of our 50 states.

However this is all going to change when AT&T and Verizon roll out their new 700mhz networks. Those networks are going to blow everyone else out of the water in terms of speed and range (hopefully!).

simulacra

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
Yea, having to roll out such massive infrastructure projects might pose a problem.
But in a way it also seems like at&t is reluctant to use certain techs, even if they are obliged to have large coverage it's not really a reason to not use the best umts tech in large metropolitan areas such as New York or Los Angeles.

Even if it's only for a tiny area it's always good to test out new stuff for future reference.

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
The next iPhone will not likely be named "4G". 4G doesn't even exist (standard wise) and AT&T has already dedicated itself to LTE 3G... Theoretical 3G LTE speeds are in the arena of 14mbits.

HSPA networks are already at 14.4Mbit. Australia now has 99.0% population coverage of 14.4Mbit - but only 7.2Mbit devices. The HSPA+ core network upgrade went live two weeks ago (3G Direct Tunnel) and the 42Mbit data rates will go live in 3-4 months. (Australia's Telstra)

LTE's speeds are peak download rates of 326.4 Mbit/s for 4x4 antennas.
LTE-Advanced will support over 1Gbit.

AT&T and Verizon haven't announced what standards it will use for 700Mhz, but you can count on mobile broadband access to it. Sprint is doing its own thing with WiMAX.

AT&T and Verizon have chosen LTE in 700MHz.

Sprint is rumoured to be considering transitioning its WiMax network to LTE in 2 years as well (WiMax-only base stations are harder and harder to find - now equipment makers have realized LTE will be dominant. Wimax/LTE capable base stations are now common to assist with transitioning early WiMax networks to LTE).

crazyphone

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2008
The new Iphone 4G progect

The whole new iphone 4G Progect

features.

New 7.2 MP camera with video function

frontal camera

frontal solar painel ( auto-charge new feature )

32 GB of internal memory

appleiphone4gblackhv9.jpg

sjo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2005
Wasn't aware of that, thanks. ;-)

The reason the U.S. is usually behind Europe is our size. A lot of people (including us!) forget we have an enormous land mass and 300 million people scattered throughout. With over 75 metropolitan areas of populations of more than 1 million people, deploying any new technology (wired or wireless) is both extremely expensive and challenging, especially for rural areas where wireless networks break even. Imagine your network trying deploy LTE in 75 different Stockholms hundreds of miles apart... you can imagine the difficulties. ;-)

It's easy for Germans, Italians, and Japanese to sit back and criticize our slow to adopt pace when their entire country equals just ONE of our 50 states.

that argument would make sense if there were advanced networks in some of the states, say california or better yet in new york. similarly, it would make sense if the sparsely populated countries in europe, say sweden, norway and finland, had bad networks. neither is true.

However this is all going to change when AT&T and Verizon roll out their new 700mhz networks. Those networks are going to blow everyone else out of the water in terms of speed and range (hopefully!).

you assume everyone else is going to stands still during the next three years and not improve their networks?

todd11231

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2008
The next iPhone will be the 3G...the iPhone coming out Friday is the 2G iPhone with 3G networking capabilities.

Unless I missed something somewhere...

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Unless I missed something somewhere...

You're missing the fact that the abbreviations for 2.5G, 3G, and 4G networking services are identical to the way we've been abbreviating first, second, third, and so on generations of product releases.

The first-gen (1G) iPhone had "two-and-a-half-gen" (2.5G) wireless networking.
The second-gen (2G) iPhone has third-gen (3G) wireless networking.
The third-gen (3G) iPhone that this guy's talking about has fourth-gen (4G) wireless networking, but it won't. 4G networks won't be implemented by next year, and that's when the third-gen iPhone will come out. I can see it coming out in two years, though, so then the abbreviations even themselves out: Fourth-gen iPhone with fourth-gen wireless networking.

Who besides me understood -even last year- that this would be a problem?

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Wow, I love it!

I can totally see this happening in a few years - anodized aluminum, black or silver options, somehow with incredible reception! Incredible design you made!

todd11231

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2008
You're missing the fact that the abbreviations for 2.5G, 3G, and 4G networking services are identical to the way we've been abbreviating first, second, third, and so on generations of product releases.

The first-gen (1G) iPhone had "two-and-a-half-gen" (2.5G) wireless networking.
The second-gen (2G) iPhone has third-gen (3G) wireless networking.
The third-gen (3G) iPhone that this guy's talking about has fourth-gen (4G) wireless networking, but it won't. 4G networks won't be implemented by next year, and that's when the third-gen iPhone will come out. I can see it coming out in two years, though, so then the abbreviations even themselves out: Fourth-gen iPhone with fourth-gen wireless networking.

Who besides me understood -even last year- that this would be a problem?

Not a problem...Its a second generation phone...the 4G network enabled phone will be the 3G phone if the 3G phone supports 4G. I dont care what you call it 3G is a 2nd Generation phone. Your getting a name and a generation mixed up.

You did.

This is a thread depicting the concept design for iPhone 4G.

An iPhone which may come after the iPhone 3G,
and have fourth-generation networking technology.

R-Fly

did you look at the first post?

it says:

iPhone 4G concept

yep

and it has a picture.

Nothing about 4G networking, 4th generation...I was just stating that the next iPhone would be the 3G...third generation...the third iPhone. The current iPhone set to release on Friday...will be called iPhone 3G, it will be the second generation.

protekt0r

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
that argument would make sense if there were advanced networks in some of the states, say california or better yet in new york. similarly, it would make sense if the sparsely populated countries in europe, say sweden, norway and finland, had bad networks. neither is true.

you assume everyone else is going to stands still during the next three years and not improve their networks?

why would the argument make sense only if advance networks existed in larger/more populous states? i don't understand your logic there. FYI, large cities like NYC, Dallas, LA, etc are usually the first to get new technologies such as Mobile TV, 3G, etc. The obvious reason for that is the ROI is much higher in places like those (more subscribers=more reasons to upgrade capabilities). The US is a nation of 300 million people... show me a country that's the same size (geographically and population) that has better coverage and better data speeds. there are none.

as for other networks... with the exception of t-mobile, i do not assume they'll stand still for a minute. i'm well aware of WiMAX and other (free) wireless broadband initiatives. but don't forget the only two networks in the US worth discussing are at&t and verizon, both of whom won large blocks of the 700mhz spectrum. WiMAX is promising, but sprint is under a lot of pressure lately; it wouldn't surprise me if their whole WiMAX plan goes up in smoke.

protekt0r

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
While I'm thinking about it... let's discuss t-mobile, shall we?

If deutsche telekom is so freaking awesome in europe, then why the hell can't they get a real 3G network in the US?

BECAUSE IT'S FREAKING EXPENSIVE.

I'm not saying the US doesn't have screwed up network policies or regulations. I agree. All I'm saying is people fail to realize how spread out the U.S. is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.