Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevinkt

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
Hawaii
Its the 5th iphone model produced, even if they call it the iPhone 4s so it is indeed an iPhone 5.

the other "profound inprovments" will be reduction in production costs that mean more profit for apple per unit sold.

When I said it's not an iPhone 5, I was referring to the fact that this iPhone 4s will not have the legit and substantial improvements (be it external and internal improvements) compared to the iPhone 5. And the fact that apple will be making more profit out of the iphone4s doesnt mean jack to me AT ALL. How does their profit matter to the consumer???

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
If, as it looks likely there is no major redesign it will be interesting to see if the whole antenna thing rears its head again. I thought they would have had a major redesign to separate it in peoples minds.

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
im Prepairing to do the "told you so" dance tomorrow.
but i think the "iPhone 5" wedge that has been circulating has a high probability of going to be a new iPod Touch desgin.

Could well be. A high end iPod with bigger screen, better camera, and Wifi phone capability.

crayonmuncha

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2011
just noticed but if you look at the lets talk iphone invite it had the calender tues 4, the time 10am, the location, and the phone icon with a 1. Perhaps this indicates 1 new iphone

pjhamill

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2010
The believers in 5ers (people who believe in the 5) are losing numbers each day. The 4S on the other hand are gaining believers. It feels good I was one of the first. A bit like being the first atheist.

teme

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
It is possible that Apple will release two different models, but only the '4S' model will be available in October, and the iPhone 5 will be available later (and that's why there hasn't been so many signs of it)?

pjhamill

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2010
The one thing I don't get, Chronic's case leak weeks ago showed volume buttons on the right side of the phone. He seemed pretty sure they were legit.

Last edited:

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
If Apple do launch a 64GB version, what kind of price point would we be looking at?

Do we think they'd create a new one above the current 32GB one? Or shift everything down creating a new point below the current lowest iPhone 4 point for the new 4S 16GB model?

If they bring out an iPhone 4S with A5, 1GB Ram, 8MP camera and then 64GB at the old 32GB price point. I'd deffo be on board even though I am really disappointed there is no new case design.

Looking at current price points I can see something like this coming...

iPhone 4 8GB - $99
iPhone 4S 16GB - $149
iPhone 4S 32GB - $249
iPhone 4S 64GB - $349

So $50 less at the bottom, and $50 more at the top.

Last edited:

MaxKN

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2011
I don't think that Vodafone Germany already knows whats coming, they're just guessing and using the most common name as placeholder...

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
If the 64gb storage is true, I am sold!!! :) I like my iphone 4. I am hoping for more though like 4 inch screen. Rest is gravy!!

pjhamill

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2010
Anyone still doubting that the (N94) is the 4S.

iR2V1vU8

Also, the N94 was proved to have 1GB of ram which is needed to run Assistant. So the 4S will have assistant.

MrExige

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2007
Its a Bumper!

I can't speak German but is this not just suggesting which devices an iPhone 4 bumper fits?

Its a posting for an iPhone 4 bumper and its suggesting it also fits a 4S.

An iPhone 5 would have a different bumper....

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
I will surprised and disappointed if the new iPhone is simply a beefed up iPhone 4. When the 3GS came out it was a huge improvement over the outgoing model and was a turning point in many people finally adopting an iPhone. The iPhone 4 was a flawed device - a poor design, uncomfortable to hold, reception problems and a screen / back made of brittle glass that shattered too often.

Whilst updated internals are always welcome and iOS 5 is fantastic the lack of marrying that to an improved design is a poor show from Apple and I suspect many will not upgrade their iPhone 4 to a 4S.

+1. Or as many as it takes. Agreed on all points. Plus the rest of the market is somewhat different from what it was in the 3gs's day, and a 4s won't really cut it out there.

shikari89

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2010
Oregon
Still keeping my fingers crossed for a iPhone 5. I don't think 64gb and a5 is going to be enough to keep my hands off a galaxy s2.

HangmanSwingset

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Everett, WA
It's seeming more and more to me with every bout of forum bickering that '4S' is a codename.
It sounds too dumb in everyday conversation, and it'll sound too dumb on the stage Tuesday morning.
So, why is '4S' so prevalent? Even going as far as being in the recent iTunes betas?
'Successor'. All it most likely means is the '4S' is the successor to the iPhone 4. For all we know it could be called the 'iPhone Derp'. It could be anything from 'iPhone 5', to 'iPhone V' (Which actually sounds kinda alright)

However, back on topic, I want a 64GB. After checking how much media I have exactly, it comes out to 60.3GB. I can leave out the videos, since I've seen them all already. That'll shave it down to 39.5GB. As my music collection grows, it would be the phone that I actually end up keeping for years, instead of random upgrades when I find a cheap one (January I got a 16GB 3G for $60 with a shattered screen, replaced every part except for the chrome bezel and the logic board, then July I found my current 8GB 3GS at a pawn shop also for $60). I'm not going to deal with the data usage for iCloud, battery drain of constant 3G streaming, etc... I really hope this rumor to be true.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
So sad that there is no new iPhone.
The newness is always about a redesign and something different.

As for the people saying, they don't expect Apple to introduce a redesign every year comparing it to iMacs/MacBooks/Pros should understand the following:

- There are people who buy phones every 12 months. I guess most of the people in the UK buy phones every 18/24 months. People who bought the new iPhone are nearing the end of their contract. If the next iPhone is going to last another 15 - 17 months, people will not be interested in upgrading just for the sake of it. People like new things.

- Also, Apple cannot just have the same design for 2.5-3 years. The industry is moving fast as compared to notebooks that people buy every 3-4 years.

I literally cannot believe there is no iPhone5 tomorrow.

Celtic-moniker

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Sorry to go against the grain here.....

Ya know... in all honesty i'd be entirely happy to buy an iPhone 4S, as an up spec iPhone 4. I mean.... It's nice to see Apple going along the route of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. The iPhone 4's design (antenna aberrations, and broken glass) not withstanding, is still a very good design. I don't want to buy one of those oversize screen phones; as I have an iPad which manages far better than one of those ever will.

I kinda feel that I'm not being whingeboi enough, and I'm sure I'll be accused for 'settling for less' etc. But seriously, the larger screen phones aren't enough to sway me away from my current iPhone 3GS. I just don't need the screen real estate. I need a phone that sits in my pocket, and does what I need it to do. and an iPhone 4S is perfectly poised to do that.

My GS is ageing, and needs to be replaced. It's copped a few knocks and scrapes from being.... dropped off my motorbike.... But has performed beautifully with naught a repair needed. It ran out of contract last month.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
The believers in 5ers (people who believe in the 5) are losing numbers each day. The 4S on the other hand are gaining believers. It feels good I was one of the first. A bit like being the first atheist.

Are the 5ers not the "bad guys" in the new Terra Nova series ?

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I have a question

What is wrong with the current iPhone 4's design? I mean doesn't it still look "industry leading"???

And why do people want a larger screen??? I mean, doesn't iPhone 4 currently fit everything to the pocket well?

I really don't get it.......
the rumor specs alone makes a really really decent upgrade...

Clown Boy

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
Apple are clearly going the way of their Macs and Macbooks here...

It is and has been the norm to simply speedbump there Macs with little or no cosmetic changes, I believe they are going this way with there iPhones.

The major changes are going to be OS and internals. They see the culture of changing design as superfluous, the same 'design once' approach that they have used in Mac Pros, Airs, etc for years is being rolled out to ther phones.

Same design = cheaper manufacturing so why change. Fanbois are still gonna buy.

Also, I recall when they brought out the Retina screen it was muted as being way ahead of its time and unlikely to need bettered for 4-5 years, this larger screen rumour is just that, a rumour, there is NO CHANCE they would bring out a larger screen as it would mess up there entire back catalogue of Apps etc NO CHANCE.

I for one will be moving to the Nexus Prime or Galaxy S3 when it comes out. Also I believe tomorrow's announcement is going to be a major fail.

Rend It

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

haydn! said:
If Apple do launch a 64GB version, what kind of price point would we be looking at?

Do we think they'd create a new one above the current 32GB one? Or shift everything down creating a new point below the current lowest iPhone 4 point for the new 4S 16GB model?

If they bring out an iPhone 4S with A5, 1GB Ram, 8MP camera and then 64GB at the old 32GB price point. I'd deffo be on board even though I am really disappointed there is no new case design.

Looking at current price points I can see something like this coming...

iPhone 4 8GB - $99
iPhone 4S 16GB - $149
iPhone 4S 32GB - $249
iPhone 4S 64GB - $349

So $50 less at the bottom, and $50 more at the top.

I hope not. I thought the 3GS was going for $49 through att with 2 year contract.

This is my hope for the pricing (w/contract):
iPhone 4, 8GB: $0 to $49
iPhone 4S, 16/32/64GB: $99/$199/$299

Maybe they'll go the way of the iPad on pricing. If they can offer the above AND offer unlocked phones from the start, I'm sold.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.