iPhone 4S buyers will you upgrade for a redesigned iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by futch, Oct 19, 2011.

1. futch macrumors 6502

futch

First and foremost, I love the 4S. I upgraded from a 3GS and the improvements are incredible.

With that said, I will be upgrading for sure.

The 4S will go to my Fiance (wife on 11/12/2011, she has 3GS still) and I will buy the iPhone 5.

2. playaproved macrumors 6502

Absolutely... I've had every version of the iPhone, I see no reason to stop with the iPhone 5.

3. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

What if one of the big selling points (the biggest?) of the iPhone 5 is removing the facebook app from the app store, making some improvements to it, and then releasing it as iPhone 5 only? Would you still upgrade?

4. futch thread starter macrumors 6502

futch

Touche. Under those circumstances, no.

However, you and I both know that won't be the case.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

6. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Yup. Even if it comes out in April or something. My wife and I have a rotational upgrade thing on our plans, and she never wants the newest phone. When I gave her my 4, she said "I'm really OK with my 3Gs." Even after a few days she's like, "I guess it's better, but I was fine." So, I can upgrade every year without any issues.

7. marty11 macrumors regular

Any chance I can get to go Verizon LTE and dump AT&T is likely for me. I'll eat the ETF on the 4s, the other line is available Aug 2012. Should be good timing.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You should look into the Mophie Juice Packs. You're gonna need 'em...

9. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

10. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

**** yeah!! There's no question about it. The next generation iPhone can only bring improvements to the table so I'd definitely upgrade. Even without a larger screen.

People have whined and whined and whined about no Blu-ray on Macs and no Flash on iDevices but, as we've all seen, none of that has made Apple lose its momentum. Even if they don't give in to the demands of the masses, they'll still sell insane amounts of iPhones and the people will love them.

11. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

The only reason I said that is because that's essentially what they did with Siri. I hope Apple's new business model isn't "buy up the companies that make the best 3rd party apps, remove them from the app store, and unveil them as new during keynotes"

I can see it now...

iPhone 5 with a vastly improved camera app (oh, btw guys no biggie, but the Camera+, Hipstamatic, and a few other apps that we know you guys have been using for years are going to disappear). But don't worry... we are also going to include this awesome new map application which will use be a collaboration of Google Maps and Garmin Navigation to offer turn by turn navigation. Oh, but all turn by turn navigation apps currently available will be removed from the app store!

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Really? So the faster dual core processor, faster GPU, better camera, etc. that's just what? :rolleyes:

Somebody's not happy they didn't get a 4S?

13. Brazzy macrumors regular

Yes. Hopefully they make some kind of breakthrough in battery technology in the next few months. It's crazy how fast my 4s uses up battery.

14. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Yessir. Say what you want, but I'd get bored with having the same phone for two years. Some people have different hobbies; some love shopping, I love new technology. So I'll gladly spend money on what I like. :)

15. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'll upgrade regardless! The resale is so good on iPhones, I can justify it.

16. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

if i wanted a 4S, i'd go out and get one.

of course all those things are nice... but let's be honest... hundreds of thousands if not millions of people with the 4 would not upgrade to the 4S if they had put Siri on the 4. and hundreds of thousands if not millions of others coming from a 3G (or 3GS) would not have spent the extra money and would have just gotten cheaper a cheaper 4 (or even a free 3GS).

apple wants to do everything they can to make you upgrade as often as possible, even if that means holding features back. what chaps my ass even more than that if you use one of their products, they try to make your life a living hell if you don't use all of their products.

look, iTunes as a media player/organizer sucks. the fact they force you to download QuickTime with it is garbage too. but i have to put both of those bloatware on my PC to sync my iPhone because they refuse to let companies that make products far, far superior to iTunes sync up with the iPhone. Why the hell can't I just drag and drop folders with music, pictures, and videos from my computer to my iPhone? Would be so much more efficient, but then I wouldn't be stuck with apple's bloatware.

was apple ever part of that anti-trust microsoft case? if so, they are incredibly hypocritical because what apple is trying to do is way more monopolistic than bundling internet explorer with windows and the other alleged behavior microsoft was doing back in the 90s.

this wasn't meant to be a tirade against apple... as i actually love my iPhone 4. and i understand it is great business by apple to force me into buying overpriced products i don't really want so they talk to each other all nice. but as a consumer, it still pisses me off.

17. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Yup, that's the plan. But not immediately. I believe I will be eligible for upgrade next September. So if they release it in Summer 2012, I'll have to wait long. :(

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I actually don't disagree with most of what you said. As a former Windows user, I felt your pain.

But I drank the Apple Koolaid and I feel much better now... :D

19. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

For sure!. Pre order it as as soon as it's available. For now, I will enjoy my sweet 4s!!!

20. Mavrick96 macrumors newbie

Lol. damn right

21. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Yep I went from 4 to 4S and I will go 4S to 5. People think I'm crazy for upgrading everytime, but whatever. lol

I give the old phone to my girlfriend and buy the new one.