iPhone 4s call pickup audio delay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LiveFreeDie, Oct 29, 2011.

1. LiveFreeDie macrumors regular

So i've noticed when my friends/family call me when I pick up and say "Hello" there is silence like they didn't hear me. So I say it again then the conversation happens normally. I've noticed this has only happened with my 4s and not my old 3GS.

So I decided to run a little test... so I called my work phone from my 4s and picked it up and instantly could here myself. Then I called my 4s from my work phone and when I said "Hello" after I hit accept I could not hear myself on my work phone said it again then I could.

So I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced a 1-2 sec delay when someone calls you and you try to answer them?

2. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Yes, I have experienced this exact thing. When I pick up on my 4S and say "Hello" the other person does not respond so I have to say it again. This has never happened to me on any other phone. I previously had a non-smartphone with T-Mobile and this did not happen. Wondering why this is the case?

Is it at&t or the iPhone? Does it take longer to connect with at&t or what?

3. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

Damn I'm having the same exact issue!! I thought I was the only one but I guess not. This has to be a 4S issue because if it was a network issue then all devices would be impacted.

Any suggestion?

4. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

5. LiveFreeDie thread starter macrumors regular

Well... i'm kinda glad this is not just my phone that is having this issue.

Maybe this is something Apple could fix in an update in the future.

6. anish3232 macrumors member

7. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I submitted it on Apple's feedback page. Hopefully fixable with an update.

8. LiveFreeDie thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome.

I'm also on AT&T, Black 32gb 4S. I'm curious if other 4S users on Verizon or Sprint are experiencing this.

9. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Neither the first or second AT&T 4S I bought have done this. After seeing the post I checked with a couple of friends and theirs are fine too.

I'm wondering if this is similar to Antennagate where many claimed it didn't exist. Fanbois were very angry and slanderous to those of us who were experiencing it.

Hopefully these various issues are not a reflection of what appears to be Apple's declining quality control. Yet that said, if they are I get the impression that Tim Cook will not take it personally like Steve did and stonewall by using Apples tried and true silent treatment. Or worse, their complete denial.

Only time will tell.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It happens on my 3GS and Blackberry (when I do use it).
    I don't think this is a 4S issue. I think it's an AT&T issue.

11. boogieman macrumors regular

12. jofnan macrumors newbie

My Black iPhone 4S 64GB on Vodafone UK has similar issues.

There are 3 distinct issues, all relating to audio during calls:

1. The problem of answering an incoming call, hearing nothing and the other party obviously not hearing me. Repeat "Hello" and call proceeds normally. This happens for almost all incoming calls.

2. Making a call from the handset, not hearing any ringing or person answering (or begining of mailbox message etc), until I select speaker from the audio sources and then back off.

3. Making a call using a bluetooth headset proceeds fine, I can hear ringing etc, until the call is answered. At this point the audio selections switches to speaker, and does not allow me to change back.

All very frustrating. Has anybody had any progress with resolving similar issues?

13. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

This is a very different issue than what the others here are posting about. The example you gave is only on outgoing calls, and the phone counter works showing the call is connected but the person answering can't hear you at all during the call.

This thread is about it taking a second or two before they can hear you on an incoming call.

14. jofnan, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

jofnan macrumors newbie

I had hoped the iOS 5.0.1 update might help, but no. Performed back-up & restore to avail.

Following discussions with Vodafone they claim that this is not a "known issue"...or at least not formally recognised!

They have agreed to issue a replacement handset, so with any luck it will work.

15. jerebytes macrumors newbie

This happened to me so I did a backup and restore and it hasn't happened since. May have been a bug with the ota update.

16. jonnyb macrumors 65816

I am getting this all the time at the moment. Has anyone found that the 5.1 beta 3 has cleared up the problem?

17. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I've had this since my 3GS. I'm on AT&T (obviously) and I've really just gotten into the habit to take the extra second that they most likely cant hear me to make sure i get the phone situated on my face lol.

I know its not a fix, but honestly i don't even notice the delay anymore because I've altered my habits.

18. emgrant93 macrumors newbie

Just wondering if anything new came of this bug. Just recently bought a 4s and now I'm having the exact same issue. Is it worth returning it?

19. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I have this issue sometimes. Not sure if it's phone specific as in mobile to mobile or land to mobile or whatever but it's a little annoying.

20. coastertux macrumors regular

I have this issue as well! Anyone talk to Apple about it? I'm on Verizon. Today I was thinking maybe it’s a delay from WiFi trying to connect? I'm going to do an experiment later about that.

21. cynics macrumors G3

I have that too. I wait for a second or two then say hello.

22. LiveFreeDie thread starter macrumors regular

Just curious if people are still having this issue with the latest update?

I'm still on 5.0.1... just haven't gotten around to upgrading and re-jailbreaking. But if the issue is fixed now I will do it asap.

23. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

this is an issue i have noticed with my iphone since the 4. It is not att, but rather the phone. I have a nexus that i switch the SIM to and it does not have this issue.

24. cynics macrumors G3

Verizon 4S on 5.1.1. And I still have the issue. We bought 8 4S's for employees and they all do it. I just figured it was normal and learn to deal with it.

I also notice it on people's voicemails. You need to wait a second before leaving your greeting or the beginning will be cut off.

25. kargold macrumors newbie

4s Delay

I see that this is an older thread, but here's my 2 cents:
    I got my 4S and had no delay when answering, then the speaker went bad and I got the phone replaced. Now my new 4S has the delay. I have to count to 3 (no real problem there) before saying "hello" to avoid having to say it twice. The only difference in the phones, is that I got my first phone from the ATT store, and the second one came from the Apple store.

I sure hope that there is a fix for it, because I do find it annoying, and I don't think that taking it back for a replacement will make a difference, from what I am reading. It sounds like a random problem with some phones, and I'd likely be unlucky enough to get another one with the same issue.