iPhone 4s camera comparable Galaxy S II

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pinwanger, Oct 16, 2011.

1. pinwanger, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

pinwanger macrumors member

2. DanteMann, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

DanteMann macrumors 6502

This is exactly what I have been saying. Wait for an actually shoot out. I was saying right from the start that the 4S had nothing special in terms of camera and video compared to what's already been on the market for a while. You just had to take of the Apple goggles. But the video is where Samsung really separates itself. Quite amazing for a phone that's been on the market for over 6 months. What's gonna happen when the SGS3 comes out? Yikes!

UPDATE: WOW! I just realized your post has over 300 views and not one of the 301 views had anything to say about these tests. Shocker!

3. Arcadia310 macrumors regular

After seeing many comparisons the SGS II does in fact have a better camera. This is funny because that phone had been on the market for a while and Apple showed off some really impressive videos at the event. Needless to say, I haven't seen a single iPhone 4S camera test that looks anywhere near as good as what Apple showed off. I'm not sure what people are looking at when they say the 4S looks as good as some really good camcorders/point and shoots.

4. Russiaone macrumors 6502

If I knew the dev game support for Android was as good as Apple's I think I'd switch in a minute. Or maybe not. Either way, in most respects I think the Galaxy S2 is a much better phone/device than the iPhone 4/4S. Also, I own an iPhone 4.

5. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

6. gundam789, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

gundam789 macrumors newbie

The galaxy note is even better.

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxynote/note/index.html?type=find

This phone is going to hit the iphone market hard.

5.3 HD 1280by800 screen 285 PPI
    Li-on 2,500 mAh battery
    1.4GHz Dual Core Processor

I just sold my iphone 4 to buy the 4s but now I honestly don't know. The apps on the iphone are still a million times better but I have an ipad for that.
    I love the iphone 4 but for now the galaxy note> iphone 4s.

7. ColeHarris macrumors regular

Maybe I need to get my eyes checked or something but I thought the iPhone 4S looked allot better than the GS2 (and the others) especially in the still life test. From what I could tell it had much better color rendition, and higher detail in the highs and lows especially in low light. I'm a professional photographer so I think I know little regarding this subject, but maybe its just me.

8. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

Links dont work

None of the posted links are working from the iPhones web browser. Are they disabled? I'll try my laptop tomorrow,

9. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

All working fine on my end.

10. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

That definitely wont fit in my pocket. If I want a big screen I carry a full sized tablet 9+ inches or less than 4 for a phone. Anything else is just a waste.

11. thenerdal macrumors 65816

I love this thread. No fanboys. I love it. And I thought the 4S would have a better quality camera. I am surprised.

----------

If you're a guy, it should, unless you wear skinny jeans. If you're a girl, put it in your purse. :p It's not really a waste, it's a tablet and a phone with a stylus.

12. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

No seriously, this looks to be the size of an eReader, and those don't fit my my normal jeans (not skinny) maybe If I wore sweat pants or droopy gangsta pants, I could get it to fit.

13. thenerdal macrumors 65816

Have you seen videos of it? I've seen people put it in their pocket.

14. pinwanger thread starter macrumors member

Lol yeah I saw that, I didn't want to start any flame wars so I just let it go w/o a bump.

15. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

It's six of one half a dozen of the other.

Both good cameras but I think the 4s shots look better in most cases.

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Your not the only one. I don't even have a 4S so I'm not biased at all. The actual photos don't seem to match the scores. I thought all the photos of the 4S were better than the Galaxy S2, but the scores state otherwise. :confused:

Even the 4S video looked better ..... although not by much. The 4S is the clear winner in low light by a huge margin.

The scores are bogus when you match them up with the samples photos & vids.

17. grovertdog macrumors regular

Well, I don't have goggles on, and on the sharpness/definition test, the 4S clearly mops the floor with the SGS2 (which incidentally seems to be totally confused in terms of white balance, unless, perhaps, one fancies the test subject shot in aquarium tint).

The difference is even greater in the low light video department, 4S without out a doubt wins there.

I know nothing about SGS2 image/video stabilization tech, but from what I've seen so far with my 4S, I'm thinking trifecta when you actually get the phones off of fixed mounts and use in "real world" fashion.

Thanks for the link! And keep gushing about the "next" Samsung. I've heard from top-level Apple insiders that they are ceasing development on future iPhones and the 4S is the apogee of iOS phone tech! ;)

18. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

because, contrary to popular belief, the camera itself isn't the only equation for getting great pictures. It's the photographer and knowing how to compose and use the light to your advantage. Apple employs professional photographers, shooting under ideal conditions, with professional models, hairstylists and makeup. They're not faking the pictures. They're just shooting under the most ideal conditions.

19. pinwanger thread starter macrumors member

Let's for a second compare iPhone 4s's picture to Nikon Coolpix P300

If Nikon Coolpix P300 is considered 100% in terms of photo accuracy, exposure, coloring, etc...then iPhone 4s is quite off. I am not an expert, but Nikon Coolpix P300 is definitely better right?

20. charliecc macrumors regular

Wow, GS2 clearly better than the 4S, I'm surprised, I thought the 4S would be better. Of particular interest is the Siri comparison, looks like Andriod is almost as good, and Siri was the major selling point.

Glad I've chosen to ditch my iPhone 4 for the upcoming G-Nex (Nexus Prime).

21. grovertdog macrumors regular

Think the face-off may have been more honest if he didn't approach it with such a GS2 bias? He says you can't text or mail with content in one step with Siri -- Of course you can, he just doesn't know how and declares the Samsung winner due to his own sloppiness. He says "you have to wait for Siri to respond to put in message"- no dude, you're unequivocally wrong.

Then idiot says "set an alarm for one hour" which makes no sense. Siri doesn't do nonsense. If you tell Siri, "set an alarm IN an hour" it works perfectly. Reviewer seems confused between timers and alarms. Ugh. Can't watch any more... Really sad and misleading.

----------

There is no such thing as any digital camera that is 100% in terms of the aspects you stated. It was included as a benchmark, nothing more, nothing less.. It is a point and shoot for goodness sakes....

22. gundam789 macrumors newbie

If i didn't have an ipad I would certainly buy the new iphone.
    Everything my iphone does my ipad does better and I find my self not using certain apps on my iphone ( games in particular) since the experience is crappy after using them on the ipad.
    I think for now I will give the galaxy S2 a try since it will be a new experience for me and wait 1 more year for the release of the iphone 5.

23. grovertdog macrumors regular

Here you go- dynamic range and decent bokeh, from my 4s, and of course I spent no time and composition.

Based on two days of shooting I am comfortable you don't really know what the 4S imager is capable of.

Attached Files:

24. pinwanger thread starter macrumors member

Well iPhone 4s was quite off the benchmark, agreed?

25. grovertdog macrumors regular

Before you do that why not trying watching a demo involving a reviewer who actually knows how to use Siri and is unbiased. That review is so flawed, it is beyond ridiculous. My 6 year old can make Siri dance circles around a GS2, don't kid yourself! :D

----------

Hardly.. The 4s tonal fidelity is clearly the best of any of the phone cameras in there. Far sharper and more detailed than the SG2, and the others by a LONGSHOT and it kills it in low light. Check out how poor the other droids are, particularly the Bionic.

I've little doubt the Nikon will deliver better images than the 4s, and all things being equal it should, but I've got equally little doubt my 7d will crush the 300, so what is the point?