iPhone 4S is already oldtech

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mark28, Feb 18, 2012.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

The 800 mhz dual core cpu of the Apple 4S wasn't the fastest already when it released. Now Quad cores phones have already been announced to be released.

2.0 ghz Quad core ( Samsung Galaxy S3 ) vs 800 mhz dual core ( iPhone 4S) :eek: ( both are made by Samsung )

2. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

And yet somehow the iP4S is quite happy running highly demanding stuff like Infinity Blade on its lowly 800mhz cpu.
    It`s much like Windows used to be in that you need big power to compensate for the inefficiencies inherent in the Android OS.
    Also more power + more cores = poor battery life and given that my last android (an HTC legend running a 600mhz single core) would eat its battery in less than 6 hours of normal use...

Not trying to be a fanboy or start an argument, just saying that buying a phone based on specs alone is faulty logic.

3. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

No one (aside from Samsung) knows what's in the Galaxy S III.

The 4s is competing against the 1.2GHz Exynos chipset and Mali400 GPUin the GSII at the moment. That means the 4s on the A5 chipset has a slightly slower (in raw MHz) CPU but a far better GPU.

The 4s is one of the most capable handsets out there, despite some weaker specifications. It doesn't really matter at all.

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Your point?

The rate limiting step in my iPhone is the connection speed. The balance of processing power versus battery life is key. Apple has never been about the numbers when it comes to hardware (whether mobile device or desktop/laptop). And exactly what are you doing in Frebruary 2012 on a phone that you think 2.0 gHz quad cores will significantly improve your life? If you have to crow about camera megapixels or CPU speed, feel free to buy the Samsung.

5. ModestMoo macrumors 6502

ModestMoo

Android is Android. It requires dual core to play Angry Birds.
    For me android - when you buy an a lamborghini and you are thinking about how much gas you need to run it and you don't have money.
    iOS - just flowing OS. You buy an a lamborghini and run it without thinkin how much it cost for you to drive that car.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes... and this is relevant how?

Why do you need more CPU? Look at IB2, Batman, Dark Meadow... and all of those run quite well on single core old A4.

CPU spec alone does not make nor break a quality smartphone.

Look at the full picture; Capability, battery life, UI, etc.

7. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

You are joking aren't you? The single core, 1GHz hummingbird in my old Nexus S used to run Angry birds just fine.

I know the OP may have agitated you, but there is no need to pad out posts with inaccurate fluff.

8. ModestMoo macrumors 6502

ModestMoo

Sarcasm...
    And + why I don't like Android that there's new android phone coming everyday...
    Some phones can't get Ice Cream up until some time. Whats the point of a new OS? Lol, for that that new phones would be buying most, and then after time you'll get update.
    LOL, that's so funny.

9. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Sarcasm is traditionally backed up with an emoticon ;) or /s as it's hard to perceive in a purely written form.

If updates are a concern, get a Nexus. They launch with stock android, are updated direct from Google and are the most developer friendly devices. It's worked for me over 3 generations (Nexus One, Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus).

10. ModestMoo macrumors 6502

ModestMoo

I rather be with old phone which don't even have android/iOS/W7 etc. than be with android. :)

11. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

To that I say, consumer choice ftw! ;):D

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

Considering that Apple sold, what, 37 million iPhones last quarter, whether it's "oldtech" or "newtech" seems a bit moot.

13. matttye macrumors 601

This is a common misconception. As processor technology evolves, they use less power for greater performance. My Core 2 Duo 3GHz (dual core) performs a hell of a lot better than my old pentium, but it still uses less power.

Also, if software is optimised to make use of multiple cores, then two cores running at, say, 50% speed would use less power than one that's screaming at 100%.

The Tegra 3 SoC's include a low-power fifth core for normal tasks, and only use the four high powered cores when required. This means that for things like games and video rendering, sure, your battery life might take a hit, but that is to be expected anyway, but under normal use you won't see much of a performance hit at all.

Even though I love my Galaxy S2, an iPhone is still slightly tempting for me because of iCloud and Siri. I love the idea that I could just walk out of the house and pick up the conversations I was having on my iPad on my iPhone. So far as Siri is concerned, there's quite a few times when I want to set reminders and stuff while I'm driving, and Vlingo on the SGS2 is rubbish. So yeah, my point is that hardware isn't everything.

14. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Windows Phone 7 uses a single core CPU and relatively old GPUs...yet it is still more responsive/fluid than pretty much every Android device in existence.

15. Mikesus macrumors 6502

Rio? Hmmm you have a MAGIC phone.

16. VulchR, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The OP's post reminds me of Spinal Tap - the Samsung's CPU goes to 11! :rolleyes:

17. stevelam macrumors 65816

If I was one of those idiots buying something purely on specs I would be getting a transformer prime.

Turns out I know a little bit more and wouldn't ever make that mistake.

18. TheBigKing macrumors 65816

TheBigKing

i have a nexus and a 4s and the 4s it's faster than the nexus that has 1.2 and flash many kernels but no as fast as the galaxy nexus

19. 4sFanatic macrumors regular

Actually the miniscule 512 memory is a problem when multitasking, (everyone else already has 1g on last year's phones) :eek: (it's really just an iphone 4)

20. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

The thing is, nobody cares.

21. pat park macrumors 6502a

the good ole specs vs usability argument.

I'll take something that works flawlessly over trumped up specs that do not really help the user experience.

OP, focus on specs while the rest of us actually use our phones without locking up and freezing.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The fact the thread exists would imply somebody does. :D

23. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

Your argumentation is the same as if I were to say: "Any truck is faster than any car in the world because they have more PS".

Android generally needs better CPU to run smoothly because the OS cannot be optimized for every phone out there. This is the reason why iPhones have traditionally slower CPU's but run faster.

24. Dallious macrumors member

WOW I forgot it was Saturday, and there is no school on weekends

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. While the iPhone may not have top of the line specs, it works just fine.