Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

americaroma

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Wow, Color Profiles did the trick, i hated the yellow screen of my 2 month old 4s, now it even looks better when compared to my old iphone 4 which used to have this really cool screen color. Now my iphone 4 looks kinda pinkish when compared to my 4s :D

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Wow, Color Profiles did the trick, i hated the yellow screen of my 2 month old 4s, now it even looks better when compared to my old iphone 4 which used to have this really cool screen color. Now my iphone 4 looks kinda pinkish when compared to my 4s :D

WOW at color profile! Made the yellow tint of my buddies phone GONE! His phone is the same exact blue as mine. Incredible! Finally FINALLY I do not have to worry about getting a nasty yellow tinted phone when replacing mine.

Omnirai

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2012
Antwerp
adjusted it just a little bit and it looks great now :)
Thanks to "color profiles" from the cydia store.

looks similar to my iphone 4 now :)
I used the 'bold' profile, and adjusted the "color temperature" slightly to the left, and the "profile" bar itself is almost slided to the far left.
For me, its fine that way :)

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
Glad this solution works for you guys. Like I've been saying before, ColorProfiles is the solution for this. It just allows you to calibrate your screen temperature. If this is so easy, why can't Apple include it officially? It would potentially save them $$$ from people returning "yellow screens" when in reality it's only the calibration is off balanced.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I tried out Color Profiles, and while it got rid of the yellow tint in my white 32GB 4S, I also felt it made the screen noticeably darker. Even on a cloudy day, it was more difficult to see outside than before.

My replacement arrived for another issue and it has a much cooler and brighter screen than my original 4S. But it also has noticeable uneven backlighting on the top 20% of the screen and the bottom 10%. Whites look great, but the uneven backlighting is then even more noticeable.

Now I have to make a decision: take the replacement 4S with a brighter, cooler screen with noticeable uneven backlighting, or keep the new 4S with a dimmer, warmer screen with more uniform backlighting.

To me, the warmer screens actually look nicer when watching video, looking at photos, or playing games. But the UI looks better on the cooler screens, as does the Internet, or reading email, or anything else with a predominantly white background.

BeardedOrc

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

My friend told me that this really helped his numerous problems with his phone hues.....

fluoxetine (Prozac), fluvoxamine (Luvox), sertraline (Zoloft), paroxetine (Paxil), citalopram (Celexa), and escitalopram (Lexapro).

Try it out. It might help not only with your iPhone problem but with other everyday stuff as well.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
When new mine was neutral & my wife's yellow. Within a week hers cleared up just fine. Now many months later they're exactly the same, very clear.

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
I tried out Color Profiles, and while it got rid of the yellow tint in my white 32GB 4S, I also felt it made the screen noticeably darker. Even on a cloudy day, it was more difficult to see outside than before.

My replacement arrived for another issue and it has a much cooler and brighter screen than my original 4S. But it also has noticeable uneven backlighting on the top 20% of the screen and the bottom 10%. Whites look great, but the uneven backlighting is then even more noticeable.

Now I have to make a decision: take the replacement 4S with a brighter, cooler screen with noticeable uneven backlighting, or keep the new 4S with a dimmer, warmer screen with more uniform backlighting.

To me, the warmer screens actually look nicer when watching video, looking at photos, or playing games. But the UI looks better on the cooler screens, as does the Internet, or reading email, or anything else with a predominantly white background.

To me it seems like all replacements (so far) have this problem-- both of mine have.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Mine changes sometimes and I think it's due to the auto brightness. The other day it looked green. Weird as it never has before. Now slightly pink. Sometimes it's really noticeable. Other times it appears perfect. Weird huh :)

My sons iPod touch Xmas present looked yellow. Now it looks fine. I was really suprised to see how yellow. Thank fully it changed.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Mine changes sometimes and I think it's due to the auto brightness. The other day it looked green. Weird as it never has before. Now slightly pink. Sometimes it's really noticeable. Other times it appears perfect. Weird huh :)

My sons iPod touch Xmas present looked yellow. Now it looks fine. I was really suprised to see how yellow. Thank fully it changed.

You may find its your perception on how it looks than it actually changing.

The worst thing i did was compare my iPhone 4 to the ones on display in the shop, and thought mine looked a warmer yellow tint. After a few days of thinking what can i do, i decided to let it go and just don't see it anymore.

Happy days.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK

No it really does. I was looking back through camera roll at some screen shots I took when checking battery and one was so green I couldn't believe it as no way was it like that when I took the photo. I checked the rest of my phone and it was all changed. I took off auto brightness and it went better. So sometimes I toggle it.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011

That would be interesting if some phones do actually get cooler as time goes by. I've only had mine for a few weeks but the warmer hue has stayed the same. Honestly you get used to it and the only time I noticed it was when I compared it to my girlfriend's iPhone 4.

I've decided to keep my original device, because even though my replacement has a fantastically bright and cool hue screen (which I prefer), the unevenness is just too noticeable. So I went back and played with the Color Profiles app again, and found if I have no color profile set and just move the temperature to slightly cooler it looks much better.

It's still not as bright as my replacement though, and my girlfriend's iPhone 4 is a bit brighter too. I've heard that warmer hued screens are brighter, but my original device is warm but dimmer than most other devices I've compared it to.

TBONE72

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007

That would be interesting if some phones do actually get cooler as time goes by. I've only had mine for a few weeks but the warmer hue has stayed the same. Honestly you get used to it and the only time I noticed it was when I compared it to my girlfriend's iPhone 4.

I've decided to keep my original device, because even though my replacement has a fantastically bright and cool hue screen (which I prefer), the unevenness is just too noticeable. So I went back and played with the Color Profiles app again, and found if I have no color profile set and just move the temperature to slightly cooler it looks much better.

It's still not as bright as my replacement though, and my girlfriend's iPhone 4 is a bit brighter too. I've heard that warmer hued screens are brighter, but my original device is warm but dimmer than most other devices I've compared it to.

I do think this may be the case for some, but maybe not all phones. I got my 4S last November and noticed right away the warmer hues of it compared to my old iPhone4 and a friends iPhone4. Warmer, but not yellow/yellowish that others report, which I think are indeed defects. Over time the warmer tint settled down and now my screen is very comparable to my friend's iPhone4, especially blues, like the Facebook/Safari, App Store icon and I'm very pleased with how it looks. Why did this happen? I don't know. Was it the 'glue drying' like has been said by Apple and others? Maybe. I do know that it's not a case of getting used to how it looks since I have been able to compare it to another device over time.

antman2295

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
I think I have a "warm" screen, It seems to be very vibrant, and colors seem to pop. I actually like it, but on my iPod Touch 2G it was so annoying, because the screen had a "yellow" look to it. I've seen iPhone's and iPod Touch's that have the "blue" tint, and those aren't too bad either, but I still like how the colors pop on here. Is there a way to figure out what company each LCD was made by?

timmyx

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
Hello, has anyone else had problems or noticed difference on the screen looking at it from different angles?

For example, on home screen -- if I have my iphone on left hand I see this blueish grey level but as I move it to my right (or change hands), I see more of a 'normal' yellow level. :confused: :confused: :confused:

hopefully I'm clear enough lol :D

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted

Think mine may have done that out of the box. It doesn't now. My sons iPod touch did what you describe out of the box but I was very suprised when I looked t it the other week and saw it is fine.

Also See my other post up above. My screen is the same all over but did change tint with auto brightness.

Some people say it goes away others don't. I found it does. Upto you what you do. Hope that helps :)

timmyx

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
to be honest I'm fighting an urge to have mine replaced just for the sake of it... oh well, let's see.

but thanks! that's somewhat relieving

Dropkangoo

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2012
Wow, i was about to buy a 4s and i just learn about this yellow tint.
Im a bit turned off now, how can i be sure Apple will change for a new phone if im not happy with the colour ?
Can i change it as many times as i want during the firsts 14 days ?

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
Yes, you can exchange your phone as many times as you want during first 14 days- this is your best bet against yellow tinted screens. I did like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.