Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
the problem was real just not a big deal. you had to hold it like you wanted to break the phone, which for a 700 phone people sure tend to treat them like cheap plastic nokia phones you get for free.:roll eyes:

Please reread the article. There were two issues.

- "death grip" - which is like you wanted to break the phone
and
- just bridging that spot.

Watch this video if you are confused.
https://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/24/iphone-4-in-hand-signal-issue-isolated-to-bottom-left-corner/

arn

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
the problem was real just not a big deal. you had to hold it like you wanted to break the phone, which for a 700 phone people sure tend to treat them like cheap plastic nokia phones you get for free.:roll eyes:

I have had no case on any of the iPhone and had non of the problems or the amount of glass cracks I see people have. what are these people doing that they can't even take care of a phone in their pocket.

That said I find that walking around with a phone stuck you your ear makes people look like dorks and 80's rejects. people bluetooth is for real use it.

I prefer the old way because then you can still see that they are talking to a phone.
People with a bluetooth ear peace look like aliens and when they talk I think they are, or talking to Me, or crazy people talking to themselves :eek:

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
I've dropped more calls with my iPhone 4 than with any other phone that i've owned. I'd say the problem was real. Not to mention the proximity sensor issues... 40 more days until I can scrap this iPhone 4 and get the 4s.

You and me both. I am particularly interested in that (*#@$& proximity sensor in the 4S. Macrumors: can you guys test that out?

Once I 'cased' up my iPhone 4 for the antenna issue, the proximity issue of enabling the phone touch display when there was very slight distance from my ear to the top of the phone (like when you hold the phone with your right shoulder so you can write something down) is what does it. The screen is re-enabled your cheek then touches the 'end call'.

I have also had my cheek touch the 'mute' and wonder why I could still hear the other person but not lost the call :)

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Arn, are you sure you guys have those pictures labeled correctly and in the right order? The time is also wrong.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Why not do the example whilst in field test mode and get some comparable numbers?

People have done that before. The photos provided in the text are illustrative and anecdotal...not absolutely definitive.

But what you're asking for has been done, and the Death Grip is a real issue for the iPhone 4.

I'm glad they found a way to mitigate the issue. Those of us who do not like having to put a rubber around the metal band will be able to use the 4S without altering the looks of a lovely industrial design.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I don't know why somebody would do this but this looks really fake.
Why are the pictures that show the screen while the phone is being "death gripped" different from the ones on the left? There are additional icons in the status bar only on the pictures on the right.

sorry, I had reversed some of the images. they are fixed now.

It's not fake.

arn

----------

Arn, are you sure you guys have those pictures labeled correctly and in the right order? The time is also wrong.

yep, i fixed it.

arn

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Right handers that had their pinky touch the lower left break saw major db loss. Left handers that had their palm touch the same break had the same issue.

I'm right handed and I hold my iPhone in my left hand.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin

What does the time have to do with anything in this example? It clearly shows from non-deathgrip to deathgrip.

edit: Sorry it seems the pictures were messed up.

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
I didn't think the antenna issue was actually an issue. since the same thing happens with my 3gs and I've never noticed it. But I guess its still good that they fixed the non-issue

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
You mean the Death Grip that doesn't exist, and that most of the population of this forum deny the existance of, and thumbed me down about -20 because I took a picture of my iPhone just to prove my iPhone has the issue?

In other news, is this true about Samsung aquiring the patent for a phone with a Dual-Antenna system? Things could be about to get interesting. Glad my iPhone 4S is coming before Samsung kick up a stink.

iPhone 4S may violate Sumsung Antenna Patent

Also I wish I'd had the iPhone 4 in that demonstration, I can go from 3G with full signal, to "No Service" with 1 thumb on the black line.

Last edited:

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
That said I find that walking around with a phone stuck you your ear makes people look like dorks and 80's rejects. people bluetooth is for real use it.

People who walk around talking on bluetooth look like paranoid schizophrenics. Plus you never know if they are talking to you or on the phone.

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine
You mean the Death Grip that doesn't exist, and that most of the population of this forum deny the existance of, and thumbed me down about -20 because I took a picture of my iPhone just to prove my iPhone has the issue?

I thumbed you down...for old times sake ;)

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
4 bars ---> 3 bars

...So much for a 'death' grip.

How about calling it 'common-cold' grip?

he doesn't have to grip it for the iPhone 4. Take it out of its case, lay it on a table, and with your index finger touch the lower left break on the side. Thats it. THere is no grip issue unique to the iPhone (any water bag will block signal). I don't know why RonHC tries to grip it, but he does demonstrate touching that break line, so it looks good

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
he doesn't have to grip it for the iPhone 4. Take it out of its case, lay it on a table, and with your index finger touch the lower left break on the side. Thats it. THere is no grip issue unique to the iPhone (any water bag will block signal). I don't know why RonHC tries to grip it, but he does demonstrate touching that break line, so it looks good

I'm not saying the issue isn't real... Just that the pics given in the article are not the best example :)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I prefer the old way because then you can still see that they are talking to a phone.
People with a bluetooth ear peace look like aliens and when they talk I think they are, or talking to Me, or crazy people talking to themselves :eek:

People who walk around talking on bluetooth look like paranoid schizophrenics. Plus you never know if they are talking to you or on the phone.

Parrot :eek:

Last edited:

amorya

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007

It depends on the signal strength in the area.

In my lounge, I'm right on the edge of 3G signal. If I hold the phone in my left hand, the line is muted. Sometimes I can hear the caller still, but they can never hear me. Switch to my right hand (and take care to keep my finger away from the spot) and the signal is fine.

ABernardoJr

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2006

I have had no case on any of the iPhone and had non of the problems or the amount of glass cracks I see people have. what are these people doing that they can't even take care of a phone in their pocket.

It's pretty irritating when people use their own anecdotal references (of themselves, to make things even worse) to argue something. And if you think you have to hold the phone like you want to break it then you're severely mistaken and uninformed in this case. I used to be like you in thinking that the issue was overblown, because my first iPhone 4 didn't have the issue. But when I had to replace it, the phone I got would drop signal when I barely placed my finger over the band. So no, it isn't overblown. And as for cracking the glass screen, people often drop iPhones because of a thing called an "accident," which more often than not isn't on purpose, if I'm not mistaken. You can try to be the most careful person out there, but all it takes is one slip up and you can easily drop and break the phone (or anything for that matter).

And do you really find people holding phones up to their ears to be "dorks"? That's funny, because I always thought it was kind of awkward to see someone talking to themselves in public, at least until you saw that ear piece on one ear. Personally I really don't think it's all THAT awkward either way, but if you're going there, I imagine you're in the vast minority to think that bluetooth users look less "awkward" than non-bluetooth users.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
This is the first thing I checked when I got my 4S, and I'm thrilled to say they have finally fixed the problem. For the past 16 months I've had to hold my iPhone 4 very carefully at home (and at certain points on my commute) to avoid losing signal entirely (I'm right handed but I usually hold the phone in my left hand, and I can't stand bumpers/cases) and for the first time since June of last year, I don't have to worry about it anymore. It's GREAT!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.