Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gm7Cadd9

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2005
So many people are making assumptions about RAM and Siri.

I want Siri on my iPad 2 just as much as the next guy... but MAYBE just maybe there is a hardware requirement outside of the A5 and RAM we aren't aware of. It's not as if Apple advertises what broadcom chip they use, you don't see SoC, ARM in any marketing material, you just see: Siri.

From the chip works article:

"It looks as if the iFixit’s German connection is off to the Bierhaus after a long day of tearing out Siri’s vocal cords. They leave us wondering about some remaining big devices; The WiFi SoC, the audio codec, the touch screen controller and is there more NVM aside from the Toshiba NAND? Certainly Siri needs some NOR to speak so eloquently."

___

As for the RAM, I remember reading that the iPhone 4 got 512 because of the HD recording, and thats why iPad 1 didn't get it. It had nothing to do with simultaneous apps, or Safari windows, more to do with recording HD video that needs to buffer before being stored.

I am not an engineer though, so I'll be the first to admit that I could be wrong... which is more than what most armchair experts are claiming on these forums lately.

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
Lets see what's inside iPhone 4S

- A5 Application Processor: Samsung
- IPS/Retina Display: LG
- Dram/Sram Memory: Samsung
- Battery: Samsung SDI
- MLCC(Multi Layer Ceramcic Condenser): Samsung
- Chip Varistor: Amotek (Korea)
- FC(Flexible Circuitry): Interflex (Korea)

You're point is what?.... that it should be awesome at Starcraft?

NAND: Toshiba (Japan)
Gyro and Accelerometer: STMicro (Switzerland)
Cellular baseband: Qualcomm (San Diego, California)
RF Transceiver: Qualcomm (San Diego, California)
Power Management support chip: Dialog (Germany)
RF Power Amp : Avago (San Jose, California)
Another RF Power Amp : Skyworks (Massachusetts)
More RF Power Amps: TriQuint (Beaverton, Oregon)
RF Power Amp Duplexer: TriQuint (Beaverton, Oregon)
8M camera : Sony? (Japan)
ARM Cortex A9 IP core : (Cambridge, UK)

----------

Certainly Siri needs some NOR to speak so eloquently."

No NOR necessary. That's simply a really dumb guess.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
My God. It's full of clouds.

that was awesome! :p

I was wondering if they would find any sort of "Death Grip" granted I am rationalized enough to know that most phones may have a point if covered well reception can drop. I was just wondering simply for the sake of having to put up with all those news reports and rantings people make about something that really isn't as big as it seems.

LiamTek

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Any word on parts yet??

does anyone have a lead on where we can get replacement parts for the iPhone 4S yet? People are already breaking the screens...

LiamTek

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.