iPhone 4S users, will you update to iOS 8?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by FatPuppy, Sep 4, 2014.

?

Will you update your iPhone 4S to ios 8 ?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2014.
  1. From the day 1

59 vote(s)
    57.8%
  2. Maybe

27 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. I have to.

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. No way in hell!

11 vote(s)
    10.8%
  1. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

2. ajay96 macrumors 6502

3. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

4. adn rcd dly macrumors 6502

adn rcd dly

I'm never too worried about the GM once it's out. The beta's have been sticky but all the apps I use have been fine with the beta's. The only issues I've encountered were with the actual iPhone apps (Clock, Music, Phone)

5. OSXMavericks macrumors member

OSXMavericks

iOS7 works perfectly on a 4S.

What would cause iOS8 not to run like iOS7?

6. Xeyad macrumors 6502

I'm going to keep it on iOS 7, because I'll be upgrading to the iPhone 6. I want to experience iOS 8 with the new hardware. :cool:

7. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Just Apple's greediness to make us buy new stuff.

8. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

It will run well enough to get me through a month or two before I get my iPhone 6. :D

9. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Absolutely! Will update immediately when available :cool:

10. valleian macrumors regular

valleian

More like old hardware aging, and OS advancing past it.

11. adn rcd dly macrumors 6502

adn rcd dly

I also am planning to upgrade with the new iPhone. Not sure if I'll go 6 or just to a 5S. I'm okay staying a little behind. But I'll keep my 4S as an alternate / backup. Time to sell my 8GB 4. Or just trade it in

12. mhdena macrumors 6502

How about an iphone 4, how will it do?

I have a 4 still on 6.1.3, use it as an ipod.

Have a 5 on 6.1.4.

13. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

iPhone 4 doesn't get iOS 8. iPhone 5 does though.

14. fardeenah macrumors regular

i will update but i hope the fixed many things that plagues iphone 4s on beta, calculator was slow to start, and it would take so much time to boot and slide to unlock. and apps would hang and mobile would overheat. if this is fixed, i will be happy. well ios 8 is the last update of iphone 4s, might as well update as most apps would take advantage of ios 8 features and quick reply is a must

15. iDeviceChecker macrumors newbie

Doesn't it depend on the first report in the web how people feel with the iOS 8 on their "old" iPhones 4S?

I wouldn't go with an iPhone 4S for iOS 8 if people talk about a slow or unresponsive UI experience..

16. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

I won't till there's a jailbreak and hiddensettings'7' is updated. Of course, I would be updating to a Moto X before that happens.

17. ajay96 macrumors 6502

I've been running iOS 8 beta 5 and it's fine apart from a few kinks.

18. Altis macrumors 68020

I think "perfectly" is a bit of a stretch.

I'll probably upgrade to iOS 8 because the performance damage was done with 7... I'm hoping it doesn't perform any worse than iOS 7 does, given that there isn't too much new stuff to slow it down. The new features are welcome.

19. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

Yep, 'developer' GM build for me. I don't want to wait for the public release.

20. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Well, I have an iPod 5, so I assume I can fit in here, considering it has the same specs as the iPhone 4S. Anyway, I'm updating my iPad mini with Retina and my iPod 5 from day one. I don't like my Galaxy S4 (and will possibly end up switching to the iPhone 6) so I use my iPod and iPad more. I see myself using the iOS 8 features a lot, lag or no lag. Also, I'm thinking the iPod 5 will get Handoff since it supports AirDrop and has the updated whatever it is that allows that, something that the iPhone 4S doesn't have. I see myself using it a lot, and am pretty excited. Will make for much easier switching when my iPad is dying or something, and I am reading something on Safari.

I have updated from day one several times and have never had problems, so that's what I'm going to do. Even though I haven't had problems in the past, (other than errors when trying to verify the update because of such heavy traffic) I still fully expect them, and am prepared for what may arise.

21. OSXMavericks macrumors member

OSXMavericks

iOS 7 definitely works a lot better on a 5s however I've never experienced any lag with iOS 7 on my 4s. It has been a solid OS for me and never gave me any issues. For a phone with specs from 2011, it's still doing a pretty good job.

I don't see why iOS 8 should be any different.

22. GWX macrumors newbie

That's definitely not true. It lags like a ****************. Scrolling through pages in the springboard and inside folders, entering and going out of folders and bringing up control center and notification center (specially at the lock screen) all have rough and delayed animations. Compared to an iPhone 5s or even an iPhone 5 it's night and day.

23. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

To those saying iOS 7 runs fine on the iPhone 4S are incorrect.

Of course it won't run as well as a 5 or 5S and that's because of it's hardware limitations. I think multitasking is pretty poor on iOS 7. Say I am looking at someone's Instagram profile and then suddenly switch to Twitter to read some tweets and then go back to Instagram it will load up the app as new. Yes that's a memory issue, but I don't recall having that problem in iOS 6.

It's a 3 year old phone, so iOS 8 will be definitely feel laggy in some respects.

Having said that, I've sold my 4S and I am using a 3GS temporarily whilst awaiting the 6 and this is EVEN worse lol. But hey, the new phone will be even better having used the 3GS for a little while.