iPhone 5 288ppi vs 326ppi vs 320ppi

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EarthNeutron, Mar 24, 2011.

?

Which Option would you choose?

1. Option 1

21 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. Option 2

11 vote(s)
    23.9%
  3. Option 3

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  4. No idea :|

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. EarthNeutron macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

The iPhone 5 will probably have one of those resolutions. The iPhone 4 currently has the so-called "Retina Display" 960x640 @326 ppi. That's EXTREMELY high (I don't have an iPhone 4 just a crappy 3gs, but I have seen the Retina Display and I know what I'm talking about).
    IFFFFFFFFFFFF the iPhone 5 is going to have a 4 inch screen (which is 80% certain), then there are 3 options for Apple:

Option1: Retain the same resolution as the iPhone 4 due to the large number of apps that would need to be modified if the resolution was higher.
    However, the ppi will decrease to 288ppi which is NOT Retina!

Option2: Increase the res to ...x... so that it would retain the same 326 ppi.

Option3.: Increase the resolution to iPad's resolution. That would mean that no apps would need to be modified, and ppi would be around 320 ppi.

What do you think?

I really have no idea which one to chose, but if Apple were to lower the resolution to 288ppi I'll just buy the IP4 cause I don't want a phone that's worse than the previous model.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Which is why there is no 4 inch screen update coming along. Why would Apple loose the same iconic design of the iPhone. Sure there have been external changes, but the screen has remained the same.

You don't need a larger screen, you want one just because other smart phones have one. But this is Apple, they don't follow, they lead. By the looks of it, using 3.5 in screen has put them well ahead in the game.

3. Xoixly macrumors newbie

Why would no apps need to be modified if you made it ipad resolution?

4. mrochester macrumors 68000

I'd say for the most part, the iPhone 4 screen resolution is already high enough to be perfectly fine on a 4" screen. 'Retina Display' is just a marketting term. I think any increased width to get a larger screen in there will make the device more comfortable to hold for texting.

5. EarthNeutron thread starter macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Nexus One has around 240ppi and us can DEFINITELY see the pixels, even if it's quite hard to spot them but still. 288ppi would still mean that you'll be able to see the pixles, only a resolution higher than 300-320 will be impossible to spot any pixles.

6. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

But, Retina isnt a PPI specific measurement. Its a marketing term. If Apple wanted they could still call 288ppi a Retina Display.

As for the question. I dont think there be any increase in resolution. You can toss that one right out the window...

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So they'll change the website to say 'Retina Display' means "it's very difficult to see individual pixels."

Problem solved.

8. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

For me, the proof will be in the pudding.

I LOVE the display in my iPhone 4. The clarity, the absolut smoothness and detail, I miss it anytime I use a phone with a "regular" display.

So whatever resolution or technology they go with, I will only consider jumping if it still has that "Wow" factor when using it.

9. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I imagine if a 4 inch screen happened they'd find a way to keep it above 300 (retina definition at 12 inches from face according to jobs) but probably not 326 anymore

10. kre62 macrumors 68000

Doesnt the Nexus have a PenTile display? So its effective resolution is something like half?

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

12. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Can we have a "Who cares" option?

BTW Retina is an apple nickname for the technology, not a PPI definition.

13. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Yeah who cares.

All I know is that come lunch day, I'll be standing in line for hours to get my hands on the new iPhone, just like previous years :)

14. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

The only way to increase the screen size is to lengthen the screen in my eyes. Make it 16:10 instead of 4:3. Apps wont be affected because you just will have black bars on top and bottom of the screen. But this is only possible if the iPad goes the same route. Maybe we will see it sometime in the future but surly not in the next iPhone.

15. FortMOney macrumors member

3.5 put them ahead of the game in 2007. "retina" put them ahead in 2010. Now that all competitors are at 4" or greater, Apple is falling behind. Yes, I do WANT a 4" screen, I don't need it. I have used my friend's samsung focus and loved the extra real estate for web browsing.

As far as resolution goes, I will gladly give up some for the bigger screen. The iPhone 4 is beautiful, and when you hold it up to a 3G or 3GS the difference is obvious. But people are acting like upsizing to 4" will revert back to the old screens. NOOOOOO. It will be a much larger screen that has an amazing display, except the difference between it and the iPhone 4 really isn't visible to the naked eye.

16. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

How much sense would it make to have a lower resolution than the iPhone 4?

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Not much.
    Why would Apple go 1 step forward and 2 steps back? Assuming they sell the iPhone 4 for $50, and continue selling the iPod Touch until October, it will just be a fragmented ecosystem until then.

19. tigert07 macrumors regular

exactly my thoughts. they just announced this "retina display" this generation. why dump it for the iPhone 5 so quickly? the thing is beautiful.

20. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

+1

21. Sedrick, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011

Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I've thought about this and don't think it's a viable option because the problem with the small 3.5" isn't the height, it's the width. If they can't also widen the screen out, they might as well not even bother. Movies would be better, but everything else would still be cramped as hell.

300dpi is still considered "retina". Apple could go 3.8", still call it retina and you could never tell the difference in clarity.

Apple is not the leader because of it's 3.5" screen, but despite of it.
    If they would have put a 4" screen in the iPhone 4 while they were redesigning the whole damn thing, they would have been kings of the universe.

Re: OP: There's not enough detail in any of your options to make a choice either way. I say go 4". 288ppi would hardly be discernible from 300 unless you had Superman's eyes. Widen the iPhone back out to the 3GS dimensions and get on with it.

22. redtape macrumors member

I'd like to see the option to keep it as it is today.

As I said in another thread, higher screen size + same resolution means lower dpi = bad.

And higher screen size + higher resolution means app fragmentation á la Android....

I really adore the screen of the iPhone 4 :)

23. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

You do know that if they give a 4" screen with the same resolution as the 3.5" you really aren't getting any additional space; just bigger pixels. Things will display the same just slightly larger; that's all. To get more space you need a higher resolution.

24. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

What if you couldn't tell the difference between the 326ppi and 300ppi of a 3.8" screen. Would you still be against it on principle?

I think that's what everyone wants is things bigger so you don't have to zoom in on everything quite so much.

I've got a laptop with 1920x1200 resolution and it's so damn small, I can't read anything. Sure you can get more on the screen, but it's too small to be practical. That's just too high a resolution for such a small screen, but it's fine on my desktop monitors. Bigger screen at the same resolution is what we're after.