Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
How did they know it was going to happen again when there is no way to predict how many units they would get from Apple?

The warning that there was no guarantee of getting a phone on launch day was prominently placed on its website. You didn't answer my question - what more should Best Buy have done that would satisfy you?

----------

Preordering from anywhere does not guarantee anything.

It's your own fault for jumping the gun. Don't blame anyone but yourself for this.

You're delusional. Best Buy promised you a phone. That's it. They didn't promise you a phone on a particular day. Just wait long enough and you'll receive the phone they promised you.

Just curious, do you work at or have shares at best buy? You're really trying to drive this point home and belittle people. I guarantee you most people that went into Best Buy to preorder were *told* by the employee(s) that you'll get yours launch day. Their inventory system is an abomination. I was the top 5 last year on a list of people who ordered black 16. Still got shafted. You can defend best buy all you want but don't try to make it sound like they don't give you the illusion you're guaranteed a phone. Dig a little deeper and you know that's not the case but how hard is it to allocate inventory? Follow trends? If a store only got 30 phones total why doesn't the stores expected date of delivery or pick up get pushed back, even if it comes in sooner then expected.

This is a case where under promising and over delivering can be a good thing.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
I would be mad. I mean, you preorder and think you are getting it and then the night before you get that email. Obviously not the end of the world, you will get it eventually but still they should have had a better idea of how many preorders they could take based on past stock estimates.

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
How did they know it was going to happen again when there is no way to predict how many units they would get from Apple?

The warning that there was no guarantee of getting a phone on launch day was prominently placed on its website. You didn't answer my question - what more should Best Buy have done that would satisfy you?

----------

Preordering from anywhere does not guarantee anything.

It's your own fault for jumping the gun. Don't blame anyone but yourself for this.

You're delusional. Best Buy promised you a phone. That's it. They didn't promise you a phone on a particular day. Just wait long enough and you'll receive the phone they promised you.

ok first of all, do you work for Best Buy? Why are you defending them so adamantly?

Second of all, the sales rep at best buy DID promise me a phone on launch day.

I specifically asked before I pre-ordered "will I get this next Friday?"

he said yes.

obviously that doesn't mean anything because he was just spewing BS, but it's just annoying.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
anyone know for sure if you can return the $50 gift card you had to buy at pre-order? i read the fine print and as far as i can tell you can.
you can't return "pre-filled" gift cards, like iTunes gift cards, but it doesn't say anything about not being able to return a regular Best Buy card.
also, per the pre-order agreement email:
BestBuy said:
Preorder cancellations will not affect your gift card and canbe redeemed or returned for a full credit at any Best Buy retail location.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
am I stupid in thinking they will get it by Monday?

They might. They might not. You never know.

At this point what are my options?

1) Be patient and wait it out.
2) Pay some scalper on eBay.
3) Sometime soon Apple will put up a web page to reserve for in-store next day pickup. You need to be pretty fast to get a phone that way, but if you time it right and try enough times, you could get a phone faster than BB gets yours in. Then you can cancel your BB preorder and spend your GC on something else or return it.

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
They might. They might not. You never know.

1) Be patient and wait it out.
2) Pay some scalper on eBay.
3) Sometime soon Apple will put up a web page to reserve for in-store next day pickup. You need to be pretty fast to get a phone that way, but if you time it right and try enough times, you could get a phone faster than BB gets yours in. Then you can cancel your BB preorder and spend your GC on something else or return it.

I live 3 hours drive from the closest Apple store.

damnit Best Buy.

worst buy.

ugh

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
am I stupid in thinking they will get it by Monday?

At this point what are my options?

well, i just headed over to a local AT&T store. i was after a 64GB and they still had them. no line (a little after 9am) either. this is in Madison, WI, so decent sized city, but nothing like Chicago.
i know the 4S sold out at AT&T on launch day last year to give you and idea on local demand.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Got the same email with the potential 28 day wait last night as well.

Went to the local (Tempe Marketplace) AZ store this morning at 8:15. They don't open until 10 but they were handling appointments. They said that the black 32gb ATT (the model my husband preordered) is the most popular, and they didnt' get enough of them in.

They "think" he might get it in the next week, but of course no guarantees. He was about #50 in total to have preordered. He offered my husband a 32gb blk Sprint phone (ha ha).

The GM did confirm that nobody that walks into that BB today will get an iPhone (that didn't preorder -- the story is that preorders will be filled first).

kimbermatic

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2004
It is a Liv and Learn....

The guy who just keeps standing up for Best Buy must work there or have an interest. Best Buy can put out all the warnings they want, but bad service is when you promise something and cannot deliver.

Preorder in the world today is not pre-ordering to get something after launch but on launch day. Why not just call it ordering an Iphone then, or Prepay and clearly indicate when shipped by Apple it will be delivered to you. Using the term Preorder by itself indicates that you will receive the item launch day.

Best Buy and other retailers call it Pre order because they want a cut of the sales on Launch day. With no guarantee of delivery from Apple expectations are set poorly and when the expectation are not met, a poor customer there are lost sales.

Several friends have had this same nightmare at Best Buy with Games when you still bought them at a store and will not shop there to this day. How many people are going to read the poorly written email from Best Buy other than the original recipients? Friends, family and coworkers will have that email for their reading pleasure. Not the press I would want for my store.

I imagine Best Buy and others will not stop using the term Preorder and the public will have to just learn that the term is nothing buy hype and buy directly from the source of the product if possible.

My approach with Best Buy and most other Brick and Mortar retailers these days is not to have any expectation of inventory, varied inventory or customer service. When my expectations are met or exceeded I definitely take notice.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Best Buy and other retailers call it Pre order because they want a cut of the sales on Launch day. With no guarantee of delivery from Apple expectations are set poorly and when the expectation are not met, a poor customer there are lost sales.

If you expect BB to only offer preorders for their guaranteed launch day inventory allotment, then they can't offer preorders because they're not guaranteed a single unit. Then you have lines of chaos at BB stores.

Selling a place in line really isn't a bad plan. You can return it for a full refund if you don't want your place in line, and there's no mob scene.

It seems some stores may have done a poor job with expectation setting. That's unfortunate. Kudos to Holmdel NJ Store #400 for being up front and frank.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.