Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Unless you absolutely must have case for peace of mind or other reasons, I would encourage you to enjoy the phone caseless.

I say that because I've read several highly complimentary articles about the ruggedness of this new iPhone 5.

It's got Gorilla Glass 2... and entirely new version of glass that's extremely scratch resistant. Apple has gone to great lengths to make the overall structure of the phone very tough and scratch resistant.

As delicate and problematic as the iPhone 4 and 4S were if dropped, even from a low height, they say the iPhone 5 is far more durable. No case is needed.

The mistake I made was forgetting to capture the link to the two best articles, otherwise I'd be happy to post it.

Here's one article that talks about the durability.

Jay26

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009
Here's one article that talks about the durability.

This was a good read. Personally, I need a case for my iPhone for peace of mind, but I can see the appeal of keeping it naked.

No matter how strong the gorilla glass is, we will inevitably see a post soon after launch about a shattered screen.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Unless you absolutely must have case for peace of mind or other reasons, I would encourage you to enjoy the phone caseless.

I say that because I've read several highly complimentary articles about the ruggedness of this new iPhone 5.

It's got Gorilla Glass 2... and entirely new version of glass that's extremely scratch resistant. Apple has gone to great lengths to make the overall structure of the phone very tough and scratch resistant.

As delicate and problematic as the iPhone 4 and 4S were if dropped, even from a low height, they say the iPhone 5 is far more durable. No case is needed.

The mistake I made was forgetting to capture the link to the two best articles, otherwise I'd be happy to post it.

Did you end up holding off or caving?

Frasern1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
North Carolina
I'm so tempted to go caseless, but I can be such a klutz sometimes...
I usually get a case that is easy to take on and off and I switch it up...if I am at home I usually take it off or if I know it is only going in my pocket I will go caseless but other then that I use a case.

nies

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010
whats the difference between the crystal clear and soft clear for the sgp ultra thin?? is the soft like a matte clear? i feel the soft would like nice with the black iphone

iRabbit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Long Island, NY
I've often gone case-less with all my iPhones to date, and never use screen-protectors. There are usually still "near-mint" when I sell them.

However, I did get a goofy hipstamatic case for the 4S a while back (I'm into photography and liked how it looked like a camera). I LOVED the "camera-like" strap on it. It was awesome for fishing the phone out of my pocket, which is where I keep it 90% o the time.

So I'll wait until I can find a case with a string/chord. LOL

MattSorkinNyC

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2010
I have had an otterbox defender for my 3gs for 3 years. The phone looks like it was just taken out of the box brand new. Gonna go with another otterbox defender for the 5.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I prefer to use it naked as well--hate to add bulk to the sleek/slim form factor. I have been carrying my last few iPhones in a thin leather sleeve to protect while in my pocket and may pick up a Sena case once they're available.

That being said I did order one of the free Zoogue cases in black and think I may also try an Incipio Feather Shine in the obsidian Black as it seems to be very thin and lightweight.

Ahhgg!! So many choices I'm going to end up spending a bunch more just on cases at the rate I'm going!

mainevent1536

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2010
Massachusetts

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
People know on here i get tons of cases, post pics for u guys n gals, every launched phone...this year though I think I'm gonna spend the money on applecare and go with no case (well not sure this will last because of my case addiction)

the design looks too nice to cover up, I mean black and slate? how nice :D

stevo505

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I'm thinking OtterBox Commuter series. I love the 2 layer protection and the screen protector that's included.

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
Since there doesn't seem to be an Apple Bumper for the iPhone 5 .. is there any case that would be a close to it as possible? I know there were a bunch of copycat bumpers on the current iPhone's, but I don't remember which brands they were.

Thanks!

There is a nice black bumper i ordered on amazon for $10. just do a search for iPhone 5 cases and it should come up.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
So we all have accessories to replace.

I'm looking for:

A stand for the 5 to replace my Just-Mobile Alloy.

A dock (Apple Genuine)

A leather case to replace my Stilgut

All will probably take a while, so what's cheap, cheerful and safe as an interim solution?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Nothing available, or even "coming soon" as yet. Pictures are of what I have now

Attachments

• 71z36IW+hqL._AA1500_.jpg
    71z36IW+hqL._AA1500_.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 97
  • st-188a_high_res_7_l.jpg
    st-188a_high_res_7_l.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 132

skywavesli

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2008
I'd love to go naked. I think the black IP5 looks badass. I am always real careful with my phones but, in the back of my mind is that "what if" scenario. I'd hate this to be my first naked iPhone then have that oops moment happen.

I did find this case that looks cool though....

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-View-C..._18?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1347671188&sr=1-18

That does look pretty cool however, in the past I've had issues with dirt getting between the transparent plastic and the phone (making it look pretty gross).

I currently use a bumper on my iPhone and sometimes even take that off.

Which makes me wonder, anyone know if Apple will be offering a bumper for the iPhone 5?
EDIT: I just read the answer. Thanks!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.