iPhone 5 coming June?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Holly143, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Holly143 macrumors newbie

Holly143

Based on previous releases, will the iPhone 5 come out June? I have the option to buy an iPhone 4 now or wait for the iPhone 5.. What should I do?

2. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

There is heavy debate over this. Honestly, I don't know more than the next guy about it. If I were a BETTING person, I'd bet that 5 doesn't come out until NEXT year because of the Verizon CDMA version release. But I don't know anything, I'm just going off of a gut feeling.

Mind you, if you wait and no announcement comes, you could always by a iPhone 4 anyway.

I decided not to wait, because honestly the 4 does plenty, and 4g networks aren't reliable on either carrier so a 4g iPhone can wait for me.

3. Holly143 thread starter macrumors newbie

Holly143

Thank you very much! I'm even more confused now and yes I agree with the release of the verizon phone.. But then again, the verizon phone is not really a step up so they might still be working on a new one. I'm still very confused. T_T

4. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I can't imagine Apple releasing a full new CDMA model in June, essentially screwing the customers who got an iPhone 4; Apple seems like they'd do better than that. But, they're a business.

5. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I would think there will be a new phone this summer just like every other year. The world doesn't revolve around Verizon. There are iPhone users all over the world on different networks. I don't think apple would wait until next year just to keep Verizon customers happy.

6. alectheking macrumors 6502a

Yup, and they can't upset all the people holding out till then. Either way they are gonna upset people, but one way makes them lots of money and one doesn't.

7. tucker3434 macrumors regular

8. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple will most likely release a new iPhone this year. Other leading manufacturers (HTC, Nokia, RIM, Motorola...) release numerous new phones each year, Apple has to keep up with its competition.

9. kre62 macrumors 68000

Theres no question there will be a new iteration of the iPhone this year. The competition is too fierce, and Apple always releases a new iPhone each year. 100% chance of new iPhone this year. It's already shown up in the new iOS software builds.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I believe that we will see an iPhone 5 in summer. Verizon wasn't the only carrier to receive the iPhone midcycle.

Personally, I think theres no way Apple is creating a new OS without a new phone. And there's no way they're pushing iOS 4 until 2012. Especially with the competition, Apple better throw something out there. Apple knows if they throw in a faster processor and better camera with some other features, a lot of people using an iPhone 4 will upgrade.

11. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Yes... the competition is heating up... no way will Apple now defer their release schedule, solely so customers don't feel "screwed over". Releasing phones twice a year is hardly "unfair"... welcome to the realm of technology; todays purchase will be outdated tomorrow.

12. redbeard331, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011

redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

Bet on it, the only people saying there won't be are whiners who bought a Verizon iphone, no way in hell will Apple not come out with a new phone for two years all because another carrier picked it up which happens all the time in other parts of the world.
    Why would Apple let the iPhone fall way way behind and tarnish it's image all to supposedly make the minority of people who bought a Verizon iPhone not feel left out this summer? You do realize thatr they will be able to buy the iPhone 5 too right? They just won't get the subsidy, boo hoo, if they don't like it they can wait til June. AT&T moved my upgrade eligibility up a year to June 25th of this year and I bought the iPhone 4 on release day, I wonder why..:rolleyes:

The whole idea of Apple not upgrading the iPhone for another whole YEAR just because it came available on a new US carrier is nothing but crazy. The millions of people around the world that aren't on Verizon don't give a crap about your Verizon iPhone.

I'll make sure to bump this thread after the keynote in June..

And I'm looking forward to my dual core iPhone 5.. :cool:

13. epictempo macrumors regular

This. Except it may just be 4(G) to be compatible with the 4g networks. Don't expect anything major except for Apple's hype to make it feel like a new phone again, and oh yea...white color.

14. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

Exactly, new Android phones come out every week, that's just how it is, if Apple didn't come out with a new phone this summer even I would be looking elsewhere, and I love my 4, but tech moves way to fast to go 2 years without any changes...

15. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Don't get your hopes up too high, it could just be an iPhone 4S.

Other than NFC, what else could you want in a phone. NFC hasn't really proved itself useful just yet either. Lets see the bucket list of what the major complaints were:

-We got the front facing camera.
    -We got a better rear camera that made it unnecessary for most to carry a Flip Video/Digital Point and shoot.
    -We got multitasking, which you didn't even need an iP4 for, as the 3GS even got the software update for this.

Everything else pretty much can be solved with an app, or an iOS update.

I expect the next update to be evolutionary, not revolutionary.

16. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

Would Verizon customers who bought the IP4 now would be extremely pissed if IP5 comes out this June?

17. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

What about a bigger screen? 3.7" or even 4" would be nice.
    What about a better notification system? Android already has a really powerful one.
    What about lockscreen apps?

Those are the few most popular demands for the next iPhone. Could the notification system be solved by an iOS upgrade? Possibly. But Apple won't settle to that, they will make everyone buy the latest model by leaving out some features in the older models.

Just as F123D stated, Apple doesn't care about a minority of people who will have issues upgrading.
    The iPhone goes global, and so people need to realize that the iPhone's market is more than just America.
    I'm sure the iPhone has been released mid cycle in numerous countries around the world.
    Heck, the iPad just launched in India. Imagine if people said "there won't be an iPad 2 because the iPad just came out in India!" Exactly.
    The iPhone 5 will come out this summer.
    Who knows? Maybe Verizon will change their pricing plan for their customers to buy the next iPhone.

If you're smart, you'll wait for the iPhone 5.
    If you have the money and don't care, go for the iPhone 4.

18. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I suggest wait for iPhone 5, it IS coming out in a few months. What people are forgetting is that there are over 100 countries which don't care about the CDMA Verizon iPhone and are expecting a new GSM iPhone this year.

The Verizon CDMA iPhone will only make up a certain percentage no more then 15%, I think of iPhone sales.

The iPhone has way more market share in countries like Australia and the UK then the US.

Plus it's peoples choice if they choose to buy a CDMA iPhone 4 now and not wait just a few more months after waiting years.

19. orange42 macrumors 6502a

An outer LED light that blinks when you have a message/notification is a must have. I love how my BB has it and I've seen some Droid phones with it too. (I think? I know nothing about Droids)

20. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

It isn't any different for anyone who buys the iPhone 4 right now on AT&T. They are going to sell the thing up until the day the next iPhone is released, and people will be buying it up until then too.

21. iserian macrumors 6502

If the 5 comes out in July there is a real chance that Verizon will do what At&t has done by allowing you to upgrade at the reduced price. Get your 4 now IMO.

22. 314631 macrumors 6502a

No, there won't be a new iPhone in 2011. June 2012 will see the iPhone 5 launched.

23. kre62 macrumors 68000

I will bet you $100,000 that you are wrong.

I can't believe anyone is even questioning this, it's beyond obvious. A new version of the iPhone has been released every year. I'm beginning to see a pattern..

24. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting for the iPhone 5. If nothing comes out this June, I'll go get the EVO 5, or 4P or whatever it'll be called.