MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

171122-iPhone5_mockup.jpeg

Former Engadget editor Joshua Topolsky has revealed information on the upcoming iPhone 5. Topolsky reiterates from his previous Engadget report that the phone is to be completely redesigned, and that it looks “more like the iPod touch than the iPhone 4.” The new phone will be thinner and have a "teardrop" shape which goes from thick to thin, similar to the MacBook Air.

Meanwhile, the home button will be doing "double duty" as both a button and ans a gesture area.
this falls in line with testing we’ve seen for gestures on the iPad, and our sources say that gestures are definitely coming in a future version of iOS. The home button will likely be enlarged, but not scrapped altogether. Furthermore, we’re hearing that the screen on the device will occupy the entire (or near to it) front of the phone, meaning almost no bezel. Our source says the company is doing very “interesting things” with bonded glass technology, and has been exploring designs where the earpiece and sensors are somehow behind the screen itself, making for a device where the display is actually edge-to-edge.

The sketch they've provided suggests the screen will go up to 3.7 inches while keeping the same resolution.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Details: 3.7-Inch Screen, Home Button with Gesture Area

ForzaJuve

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
iPhone 6?

Are we sure this isn't what the iP6 may look like? It seems like there should have been more rumors about it if it was going to be the 5.

Comment

FtrV8

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Redesign that quick? But than again, a delay till September might be the reason. Who know, sure looks bad ass though.

Comment

roblawton

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2007
Preston, UK
Interesting...

Looking forward to what happens with the gestures currently in development. Especially for what it will mean for the iPhone.

Comment

Jswoosh

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2011
I actually kind of like the design but I'll stick with my iPhone 4 till my plan runs out.

Comment

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
Yep, a touch sensitive home button is the way to go. Will act as the unlock button too. It was about time we got rid of that nasty plastic which breaks very easily.

That image is ludicrous, I can't imagine it being that thin. Thinner than the iPod touch by the looks of it?

Anyway, I hate the touch's design, can't hold it reassuringly.

Comment

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
I wouldn't be cool with the teardrop shape. I love the design of the iPhone 4 and would be disappointed if they went a different direction.

But, I'm sure we will be hearing rumors about many different designs between now and the actual unveiling.

Comment

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I'm guessing Josh is just after some hits.

iPhone 5 will just be the iPhone 4 with a better antenna design and faster internals. iPhone 6 will probably have a re-design.

Comment

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
I'm confused :confused:
I thought the latest rumor was for the 5 to retain the form factor of the 4 with no redesign till the 6 next year.
I like what I see here and will definitely be a player for it when and if it materializes.
I don't like the 4's thick and heavy look at all so for me this is a step in the right direction.

Comment

Chriseybear

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
Liverpool
I hope it's not drastically thinner and lighter. The 4 at the minute is just right, nice to hold feels right.

Maybe It's just my man handling sausage fingers but I wouldn't like to see it similar to the iPod touch.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.