Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dfinecy

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
I don't see them enlarging the screen by a mere .2" it seems illogical to me. Plus the mock up really sucks lol surely Apple would come up with something much more appealing then this. My money is on the iPhone 5 to be nearly identical to the iPhone 4 except with better insides :)

guru_ck

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
Bay Area, CA
My favorite iPhone design was the first one. Bring back the aluminum and rounded sides. It's not comfortable to hold this iPhone 4 brick!

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
I have never been a fan of the teardrop form factor.

Why? I loved my iPhone 4 (before I lost it) but my 3GS is far easier to hold.

I still prefer the iPhone4 design aesthetically, but the reason is the awesomeness of the exterior metallic antenna look, rather than the rectangular block shape. Although, a teardrop design would mean the loss of the external antenna, which would be disappointing from an aesthetic point of view, but something I could live with.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

That looks sexy. I dont think they'll be able to go back to a metallic back though because they'd struggle to put antennas anywhere else than the back...

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
I think it looks tight...but we will have to wait and see...We all know it is gonna be lighter, slimmer and faster....

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
They should really keep the teardrop design to the Air.. it wouldn't really fit the iPhone, which is a phone after all. If that were a true design to come, I wonder just how awkward holding it could be.

Bigger displays are always welcome. I was already going to get an iP5 (got a BB Bold) anyway. Awesome for screen size, not so much for the design.. which seems suspiciously thin.

Raptura

Suspended
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto, Canada / London, UK
I would be really disappointed to see a metal backing like iPod Touch has. My previous iPods from the past are so jacked up on the backside with scratches and dents. I know I'm not alone with this.

I'd prefer if the iPhone retained a glass backing like on the iPhone 4; I think it's just so sexy. But if they were going to move to metal I'd prefer an iPad-style backing.

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
My favorite iPhone design was the first one. Bring back the aluminum and rounded sides. It's not comfortable to hold this iPhone 4 brick!

Currently using the original iPhone (don't ask...I lost an iPhone 4, and a 3GS, and thought it better to wait till iPhone 5 before springing a decent sum of money for a new one), the aluminum looks seriously dated.

Although, maybe it will look a lot sweeter if they made it iPod Touch thin...

Erwin-Br

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
The Netherlands
I think it's ugly. And after looking at it for a while I discovered why: There's no symmetry. Maybe it would look better if the non-glass areas on the top and bottom had the same height. Like all iDevices so far have.

Furtermore, I'm not too sure about the lack of a border around the screen. I think the screen needs to have a frame. Looks better, and your fingers won't be covering the screen when you hold it.

An optical home button that recognizes gestures sounds totally awesome, though.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

adztaylor said:
I can't see them making the iPhone look like the iPod Touch.

Me neither. I HATE the mock-up.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I don't buy it. Sounds nice but i don't buy it for an iPhone 5 revision...iPhone 6 maybe. Looks like everyone is copying Palm with the gesture area thing. First RIM now Apple.

robkot

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2010
It is know that apple has serval prototype iPhones. This is interesting at the least but seeing 3G at the top kinda sucks. We need a 4g faster device.

MacGeek1993

macrumors member
May 25, 2010
I'm not sure on the credibility of OP's image. Apple has been all about making products thin and less bulky, but in reality, there is such thing as "too thin"

I own a 4th Gen iPod touch and it has a case with a rubber gasket surrounding the surface. This exact case, in fact: http://bit.ly/eqT0XA

I tried using it w/o the case once and I thought I was going to drop it most of the time, mainly because there isn't a lot of room to hold on. With the rubber around the case, it allows for more grip, while adding thickness to the device.

On the subject of the home button, the home button on my iPod touch sometimes does not respond. I think the home button on the new iPhone should be touch sensitive, but keep the design per OP's image.

I know it may seem like I am comparing apples and oranges, but It's the truth. Sometimes you need thickness on a device so you can hold it.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2005
I think this could be sweet. Like the idea of the design, and the mock up looks ok. Just wish the reports on no 4G weren't true.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I'm sure in years to come, something like an iPhone will be that thin, or even thinner, but I don't believe that by 2012 we'll have the tech to actually do it.

Not till they can pack virtually all the circuity onto a few thin chips on one circuit board, and also switch away from a thick IPS screen which has a backlight and many layers to something like a Super AMOLED screen which is much thinner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.