Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

megsalias

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Mobile, AL
When do you think the new iPhone will come out? I've heard some people say that they're thinking it may be October now, but I'm still hoping for June/July.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Well I believe Gruber and Darlymple so September is what I'm betting on. The other rumor regarding iPhone 5 taking no part in fiscal 2011 comes from a more questionable source, but I could see October obviously if it is true. What I'm saying is it won't be this summer b/c Gruber and Darlymple both have golden sources at Apple.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Well I believe Gruber and Darlymple so September is what I'm betting on. The other rumor regarding iPhone 5 taking no part in fiscal 2011 comes from a more questionable source, but I could see October obviously if it is true. What I'm saying is it won't be this summer b/c Gruber and Darlymple both have golden sources at Apple.
Weren't Gruber's and Darlymple's statements based merely on the latest WWDC slogan?

MrMac'n'Cheese

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2010
It wouldn't hurt to go until summer 2012 for a new iPhone.

All they'd do this summer is maybe iPhone 4S(speed)

Maybe double the RAM and an A5 chip...

iVeBeenDrinkin'

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008
I'm glad there's another thread for me to say; late this year... Read the rumors, Apple is moving their new product releases to fall (closer to Xmas). In fact, there could be no iPhone update this year, given current world events.

MrMac'n'Cheese

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2010
I'm glad there's another thread for me to say; late this year... Read the rumors, Apple is moving their new product releases to fall (closer to Xmas). In fact, there could be no iPhone update this year, given current world events.

+1

I'd favor yearly fall/winter releases for the iPhone, less people in line during a blizzard =]

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Because it doesn't look like anything is coming during WWDC, I decided I would just buy a Verizon iPhone now. Hopefully I don't have buyers remorse come Sept or Oct.

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
The later it comes out the better for me. :) The longer I get to enjoy spending time with my beautiful iPhone 4.

iVeBeenDrinkin'

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008
The later it comes out the better for me. :) The longer I get to enjoy spending time with my beautiful iPhone 4.

She really is beautiful, isn't she? Mine's almost a year old, and still as beautiful as the day I met her. BTW, I've not dropped any calls with her either, I hope there isn't a new release til 2012. That antenna gate bs ruined our resale value.

MrMac'n'Cheese

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2010
She really is beautiful, isn't she? Mine's almost a year old, and still as beautiful as the day I met her. BTW, I've not dropped any calls with her either, I hope there isn't a new release til 2012. That antenna gate bs ruined our resale value.

+1 on the consensus iPhone 4 is the prettiest version to date.....

LightSpeed1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2009
Washington D.C.
I believe with the addition of the Verizon iPhone Apple-in an attempt to keep a uniform deployment of the iPhone-will need to to push it's original release time frame back. I'm sure they feel they need twice as many phones now, and the original allotted time is not enough to ensure that they can put an iPhone in the hands of everyone on launch like they like to do.

Last edited:

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
Well I believe Gruber and Darlymple so September is what I'm betting on. The other rumor regarding iPhone 5 taking no part in fiscal 2011 comes from a more questionable source
A September launch might still be consistent with it taking no part in fiscal 2011. The last day of Apple's FY2011 is on 24th September so a launch during the week starting 26th Sep 2011 would be a possibility although I don't know Apple's revenue-recognition procedures when channel is involved so I don't know whether a launch in the last week in September would imply recognising revenue from channel stocking orders prior to launch (i.e. in FY2011) or whether revenue is recognised at point of sale or in daily/weekly/monthly sales returns from the channel. Both the latter would involve no revenue recognised in FY2011 from a launch (availability) in the last week of September.

- Julian

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
A September launch might still be consistent with it taking no part in fiscal 2011. The last day of Apple's FY2011 is on 24th September so a launch during the week starting 26th Sep 2011 would be a possibility although I don't know Apple's revenue-recognition procedures when channel is involved so I don't know whether a launch in the last week in September would imply recognising revenue from channel stocking orders prior to launch (i.e. in FY2011) or whether revenue is recognised at point of sale or in daily/weekly/monthly sales returns from the channel. Both the latter would involve no revenue recognised in FY2011 from a launch (availability) in the last week of September.

- Julian
Wouldn't Apple take a serious hit if they had no iPhone"5" revenue for 2011?

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
Wouldn't Apple take a serious hit if they had no iPhone"5" revenue for 2011?
I've no idea. They would still have iPhone 4 revenue. Ultimately the decision is unlikely to be down to them though. Whatever rules they have for revenue recognition will be strictly enforced by their finance department and bending their rules is something that I don't think they'd want to do, they would open themselves up to all sorts of allegations regarding mis-representng revenue.

In the past the IT industry has done some horrendeous things using shady tricks to shift revenue around so the major IT companies tend to try and stay squeaky-clean on this stuff nowadays. I know this from firsthand experience during my time in sales and business management roles where a lot of my time was taken up with revenue recognition issues.

- Julian

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011

Oh she is. :)

I've dropped a few calls but those have only been at my house. For some reason inside my house has crappy signal, but all around the outside I get 5 bars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.