Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyparafango

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2014
Is there a list of missing features for iPhone 5?

Obviously 3D touch and co-processor features can't work, but I do not understand if there are other missing features.

i.e. Photos doesn't show the new Memories tab as well the new People album and I don't find someone else with this problem.

Last edited:

chances14

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2013
rich notifications do not work on my iphone 5 even though apple said they were bringing them to non 3d touch devices in beta 2

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
lied and misleading are the same thing in my books. they didn't say they were excluding certain non 3d touch devices

They never said all devices would get it either. You only disappointed yourself by assuming that. Actually it's quite common that the bottom of the barrel of supported devices get very few of the latest features.

Reactions: skinned66

chances14

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2013
They never said all devices would get it either. You only disappointed yourself by assuming that. Actually it's quite common that the bottom of the barrel of supported devices get very few of the latest features.
but they never said that they weren't going to get them either. see I can argue pointless semantics too

I don't really care though since I don't use my iphone 5 as my daily phone anymore and will be going back on the shelf once ios 10 is released to the public in the fall

Last edited:

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I wonder why rich notifications don't work on iPhone 5, is it possible they're just not ready for 32 bit... or are they never coming at all. I don't have any A6 devices so I can't check.

chances14

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2013
I wonder why rich notifications don't work on iPhone 5, is it possible they're just not ready for 32 bit... or are they never coming at all. I don't have any A6 devices so I can't check.
my guess is they are never coming at all to 32 bit devices

would be kind of nice if apple would just tell us if they are coming to the iphone 5 or not instead of playing the typical vague game

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas

It is perfectly able to. The A6 has around the same clock speed as the A7. Apple just wants to kill the device probably.

The whole 64-bit mumbo jumbo is just a dumb excuse for this.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It is perfectly able to. The A6 has around the same clock speed as the A7. Apple just wants to kill the device probably.

The A7's actual performance is twice the A6. Not sure why you say they're almost the same. Single core scores are 700 (A6) to 1400 (A7). Don't go by clock speed alone.

However you're right that Apple wants to kill the device off. It is just very much Apple wanting to dump 32bit altogether. In beta 1 of iOS 10 there have been pop ups for some apps that say something along the line of "this app is 32bit and is not optimized for the operating system." More and more even when they maybe don't make sense features are being written in 64bit only because 32bit is quickly fading out. Fully expect iOS 11 to kill off all 32bit.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016

A) you're wrong about the clock speed. A5 in the 4s clocked up to around 800mhz while the a6 in the 5 could hit 1.3ghz

B) it's laughable that you think clock speed is anything like a definitive measure of performance

Edit: Wrong processors. Point stands as lagwagon pointed out

Last edited:

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
A) you're wrong about the clock speed. A5 in the 4s clocked up to around 800mhz while the a6 in the 5 could hit 1.3ghz

B) it's laughable that you think clock speed is anything like a definitive measure of performance

Wrong processors. Point stands aa lagwagon pointed out
They never mentioned the A5. iPhone 5 is clocked at 1.3ghz and the iPhone 5s is as well. However, there's still quite a big difference.

I was just wondering whether the rich notifications use 64-bit only code.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
They never mentioned the A5. iPhone 5 is clocked at 1.3ghz and the iPhone 5s is as well. However, there's still quite a big difference.

I was just wondering whether the rich notifications use 64-bit only code.

I edited my post and added a sentence at the end but forgot to put "edit" at the beginning. Fixed the latter now.

Regardless the A7 was about twice as fast as the A6 by many measures. Whether rich notifications use only 64-bit code, I'm not sure how anyone here could tell you that. Even if they're devs all they see is an API.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I edited my post and added a sentence at the end but forgot to put "edit" at the beginning. Fixed the latter now.

Regardless the A7 was about twice as fast as the A6 by many measures. Whether rich notifications use only 64-bit code, I'm not sure how anyone here could tell you that. Even if they're devs all they see is an API.
Yep, it's like Night Shift and Memories, they're missing from 32-bit devices with no other explanation.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yep, it's like Night Shift and Memories, they're missing from 32-bit devices with no other explanation.

Missing because Apple isn't writing many new things with 32bit support anymore. It's a waste of time and money to continue to develop for aging, dying off devices. We're about to be on the 4th iPhone release since 64bit came along in the 5s. OS X dumped 32bit ages ago and it's due that iOS does very soon as well.

Once 32bit is fully dropped it will clean up the code so much and make it more efficient. So writing new things today in 64bit only is doing some of that work in advance. (So they don't have to clean it up and remove the waste soon after.)

Reactions: QuarterSwede

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
Missing because Apple isn't writing many new things with 32bit support anymore. It's a waste of time and money to continue to develop for aging, dying off devices. We're about to be on the 4th iPhone release since 64bit came along in the 5s. OS X dumped 32bit ages ago and it's due that iOS does very soon as well.

Once 32bit is fully dropped it will clean up the code so much and make it more efficient. So writing new things today in 64bit only is doing some of that work in advance. (So they don't have to clean it up and remove the waste soon after.)

My jailbroken 5th gen. iPod touch with the A5 had f.lux without issues. There's absolutely no reason as to why they're excluding Night Shift.

I could understand the AI thing for the Photos app, since that requires higher processing power.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My jailbroken 5th gen. iPod touch with the A5 had f.lux without issues. There's absolutely no reason as to why they're excluding Night Shift.

I could understand the AI thing for the Photos app, since that requires higher processing power.
It doesn't seem to be about power or anything like that, as much as it was simply implemented using the 64-bit codebase/framework, which 32-bit devices don't support, as was described in the earlier post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.